Firewood rack

/ Firewood rack #1  

rbstern

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT225E, Yanmar 2210
Had a relatively cold winter here in north GA. Thought I had enough firewood put up, but went through it fast, and burned more propane than we usually do. Fortunately, propane has been cheap the last couple of years. That won't be the case in the next few years.

I'm going to invest some time and dollars into upping my firewooding capability. Bigger log splitter, more storage, more tree harvests.

Would have been fine with some IBC totes for storage, but the wife got into the idea of building something fancier. This is what we built. I will still add some IBC totes, but this will definitely help. And the wife likes it. It's got a southern exposure and decent space around it for wind/airflow, so I expect wood will season nicely in it.
IMG_20210320_175736291[1].jpg

/ Firewood rack #2  
Looks great, how much will it hold?

/ Firewood rack #3  
Looks great! Better than my little jury-rigged setup. We only get about 10 nights a winter where it's cold enough for a fire...

PXL_20201227_172415821.jpg

/ Firewood rack #4  
That came out really nice! I always appreciate when people take the time to make something look nice to add value to what would otherwise be a very utilitarian project.

Although, I had to laugh. Being from a more Northern climate my thought was, "wait, but where will you put the other 90% of the wood that you need for the winter?"

/ Firewood rack
Looks great, how much will it hold?

It's approximately 16' x 6' of face storage, less a little bit for the diagonal braces, so pretty near a cord.

/ Firewood rack #6  
No doubt about it nice storage build 👌 lot of northern'ers build with idea more than one use...shed for wood could be for lawn good storage etc.

/ Firewood rack #9  
Had a relatively cold winter here in north GA. Thought I had enough firewood put up, but went through it fast, and burned more propane than we usually do. Fortunately, propane has been cheap the last couple of years. That won't be the case in the next few years.

I'm going to invest some time and dollars into upping my firewooding capability. Bigger log splitter, more storage, more tree harvests.

Would have been fine with some IBC totes for storage, but the wife got into the idea of building something fancier. This is what we built. I will still add some IBC totes, but this will definitely help. And the wife likes it. It's got a southern exposure and decent space around it for wind/airflow, so I expect wood will season nicely in it.
View attachment 691025

That is a lot of work, time, and money to store a cord of wood.

BTW, it goes to show how folks with different needs think. Most of the "positive" reviews are from people who live in the south and I bet they do not burn much. In rural Michigan, anyone building something like that would take a lot of flack.

First question would be, when are the other half dozen racks going up?....asked with a **** eating grin...

/ Firewood rack #10  
Looks great! Better than my little jury-rigged setup. We only get about 10 nights a winter where it's cold enough for a fire...

View attachment 691061
I use a rack sort of like that only with heavy duty wheels for pushing to the final spot. It works great. But forks are needed for transporting to the house or garage from the wood pile.