Firewood rack

/ Firewood rack
That is a lot of work, time, and money to store a cord of wood.

BTW, it goes to show how folks with different needs think. Most of the "positive" reviews are from people who live in the south and I bet they do not burn much. In rural Michigan, anyone building something like that would take a lot of flack.

First question would be, when are the other half dozen racks going up?....asked with a **** eating grin...

A lot of time and work, yes, but a labor of love. The wife and I enjoy doing these projects and improving our property.

Already had the cinder blocks on hand. Some of the lumber we milled ourselves. The gravel was from a pile already on our property. The faux stone is mostly leftover from our 2018 house build. Stain was leftover from another project. Not a lot of coin spent.

/ Firewood rack #14  
I live in West central Missouri and go through 4-5 cord of wood per season. If you have the means to move them around, IBC totes are the ticket, in my opinion. I stack into them directly off of the splitter. And never touch the wood again until it's time to cart it into the house to burn. Nice thing about them, is you can segregate your wood by species, moisture content, etc if desired.

/ Firewood rack #15  
I live in West central Missouri and go through 4-5 cord of wood per season. If you have the means to move them around, IBC totes are the ticket, in my opinion. I stack into them directly off of the splitter. And never touch the wood again until it's time to cart it into the house to burn. Nice thing about them, is you can segregate your wood by species, moisture content, etc if desired.
I have 4 woodsheds that hold about 4 cords each and let the wood age for several years before burning it. I rotate the sheds and refill each one every year using dead or winter damaged trees. I don't have totes but use wheelbarrows or loader to take the wood from the sheds to the shop and houses. My wood actually heats me seven times, not just once,
1. cut it.
2. load it.
3. unload it.
4. split it.
5. stack in shed.
6. stack at house or shop.
7. carry and put in woodstove.
The physical benefits are overwhelmingly positive for this old man. I heat only with wood and will do that until they remove the splitting mall from my cold dead hands!

/ Firewood rack #16  
I have 4 woodsheds that hold about 4 cords each and let the wood age for several years before burning it. I rotate the sheds and refill each one every year using dead or winter damaged trees. I don't have totes but use wheelbarrows or loader to take the wood from the sheds to the shop and houses. My wood actually heats me seven times, not just once,
1. cut it.
2. load it.
3. unload it.
4. split it.
5. stack in shed.
6. stack at house or shop.
7. carry and put in woodstove.
The physical benefits are overwhelmingly positive for this old man. I heat only with wood and will do that until they remove the splitting mall from my cold dead hands!
I am a lot more efficient using totes. I only get heated twice.

Wood is cut and split using a processor. $250 for one 8 hour day and I get 6-8 cords done. I use a grapple to put logs onto the processor feed table.

Heated up the first time stacking wood in the totes.
Heated the second time carrying it from the totes (staged in the garage with pallet forks) and put in insert.

/ Firewood rack #17  
Amen to this! I do love how when you're splitting wood that is fresher or wetter, you can segregate it to it's own IBC tote and move it to the back of your storage. So instead of trying to burn wet wood in October you wait until March (or better yet, the following winter) to touch that tote. I only have 12 totes total, so about 4-5 cords of total storage. In a brutal, cloudy winter, I might use them all, so those extra 6 months of drying time can be key.

This year I am finishing up the burn season with 5 full totes left unburned. My goal is to have all 12 full again before summer heat and bugs are upon me.

Last edited:
   / Firewood rack #18  
I am a lot more efficient using totes. I only get heated twice.

Wood is cut and split using a processor. $250 for one 8 hour day and I get 6-8 cords done. I use a grapple to put logs onto the processor feed table.

Heated up the first time stacking wood in the totes.
Heated the second time carrying it from the totes (staged in the garage with pallet forks) and put in insert.

I have gone through over 24 face cords which for my cut lengths equals 10 logging cords. OP's shed would not work for me. Last winter I stacked it next to my garage and tarped it. Tarps are a pain in the butt.

Like ShooterDon, I use a processor to cut/split the wood. Still need to stack it by hand. Load it with the forks on the tractor. What kind of processor are you renting? Jon

/ Firewood rack #19  
Jon,
I rent the Dyna processor from a guy in Gaylord (company called Pay The Bills). $450 for two days. First year we did it was last year and we did 12 logger cords in 15 hours. We should be able to do about 8 cords per day now that we have done a bit of learning.

Last edited:
   / Firewood rack #20  
I use me power,a 27 ton Ariens woodsplitter and a double bit axe. Is that what you guys are calling a processor? Inquiring Vikings want to know?:unsure: