First long towing trip with 2015 F150 2.7EB

/ First long towing trip with 2015 F150 2.7EB #61  
Please run a test for me.

Remove drain plug and wait 1 minute. Then place a separate catch basin under the hole and wait 14 minutes. Then measure the oil captured in the last catch basin. Report that here on this thread please?

Thank you!

My next F-150 oil change is due in January.

What would your experiment prove? Is not as if you asked for a Blackstone sample of the first oil vs the last oil.

On one hand "experts" say to drain oil hot.

On the other hand you seem to be challenging Ford's instructions to drain for 15 minutes, not just "until it stops dripping."

Is my observation that Ford is making effort to keep oil in the galleys for instant lubrication with start/stop system. That the oil filter needs to be opened first to let air in for the most oil to drain.

/ First long towing trip with 2015 F150 2.7EB #62  
I always like the idea of draining oil hot but also draining for a long time. After taking the drain plug out, I usually rotate the tires, spend some time looking around the shop for the tools I lost, do the chore I forgot about after my wife yelled at me, etc.

/ First long towing trip with 2015 F150 2.7EB #63  
Brand loyalty??
YES ! !
Turning wrenches on vehicles built from the 70's on up, I learned early on that Ford wasn't in the consumer game. They are in the corporate game. This part fits this year only, but only if it has A/C, this engine, not a king Ranch, etc etc, da da da.
Engineering fiascos like having to pull the cab off for a head gasket?? AND the have notorious issues with the gasket??
Do all mfg's have their issues, yes but it is blatantly obvious that starting in the 70's, Ford wants their stuff repaired by Ford mechanics. We are screaming about john Deere doing this.
Sit through this video. Level headed guy that has my opinion exactly.
Why I'm Not A Ford Fan - YouTube

/ First long towing trip with 2015 F150 2.7EB #64  
Do all mfg's have their issues, yes but it is blatantly obvious that starting in the 70's, Ford wants their stuff repaired by Ford mechanics.

Excuse me....but I think you'll find that GM and Fiat (Dodge) are no different.

At least I have a Ford dealer in the nearest town in case I have a problem. GM shut down both their dealerships in the same town because the town was too small. Now the nearest dealership is 175 miles away.

/ First long towing trip with 2015 F150 2.7EB #65  
My next F-150 oil change is due in January.

What would your experiment prove? Is not as if you asked for a Blackstone sample of the first oil vs the last oil.

On one hand "experts" say to drain oil hot.

On the other hand you seem to be challenging Ford's instructions to drain for 15 minutes, not just "until it stops dripping."

Is my observation that Ford is making effort to keep oil in the galleys for instant lubrication with start/stop system. That the oil filter needs to be opened first to let air in for the most oil to drain.

I'm not "challenging" anything. Just curious how much oil comes out after the first minute.

If it takes a half teaspoon of oil 14 minutes to get to the drain hole how much "material" is it carrying?

If it stops dripping, isn't it done draining? Any time spent with the plug removed is irrelevant isn't it?

/ First long towing trip with 2015 F150 2.7EB #66  
Brand loyalty??
YES ! !
Turning wrenches on vehicles built from the 70's on up, I learned early on that Ford wasn't in the consumer game. They are in the corporate game. This part fits this year only, but only if it has A/C, this engine, not a king Ranch, etc etc, da da da.
Engineering fiascos like having to pull the cab off for a head gasket?? AND the have notorious issues with the gasket??
Do all mfg's have their issues, yes but it is blatantly obvious that starting in the 70's, Ford wants their stuff repaired by Ford mechanics. We are screaming about john Deere doing this.

I guess that's a benefit of having a GM truck... the same parts they use on the 1981 chevette are the same ones they used on the 2500 series truck.... except the sheet metal of course.

/ First long towing trip with 2015 F150 2.7EB #67  
Brand loyalty??
YES ! !

I tried to watch the video. I even tried fast forwarding to different sections looking for value. I will admit I collectively watched about 5 minutes of the 17 minute dialog.

There is a place for mechanics of this type. Obviously or they wouldn't survive. As equipment modernizes these mechanics get left behind. Hobbled by their unwillingness to expand their knowledge and/or their tool inventory. That is understandable. And again, there's a place for them in today's shops. And there is a place in the next bay for the technical mechanic. All sizable shops have all types of mechanics. Each bring their expertise to the shop. This broadens the customer base and improves their chances of survival.

Several of my family and friends are mechanics. Collectively they cover all aspects of vehicle mechanics except heavy haulers. One is a respected medium diesel mechanic. One is a respected Auto Trans mechanic. One is a respected chassis mechanic. A couple are respected general mechanics. I enjoy sitting around a few Beers discussing their work. I listen intently to the stories they tell of the good things and bad things of modern vehicles.

As to removing a cab. Ford Super Duty trucks are built with this in mind. Only thing they could do to make it easier would be to design a "zipper". The diesel mechanic can remove a Super Duty cab in two hours. If the needed work is in-frame he then stands and works on it as if it's on a bench. If it's extensive he will remove the bumper and front tires leaving the frame supported by jack stands. This gives him even easier access. He talks positively about Ford's design in this regard. He hates working on GM diesel trucks.

A common complaint about diag'ing a vehicle is if they are older, say ten years or more, that the computer system doesn't have the capability of offering as much data. Yes, sometimes there's incorrect information given. Or sometimes it might not throw a code at all. But mostly this modernization and technical advance is welcomed by the equipped mechanic. The expensive things in this mechanic's tool cabinet isn't his end wrenches. It's his electronic diag equipment. An absolute necessity.

In these round robin discussions the end result is that they all appreciate and value the technological advances. None want to go back to points and carbs. We build offroad buggies. None run carbs. All have computers onboard. All will run laying on their side or even on their top until oil pressure is lost.

Vehicles of today are much, much better than those of old. I own two diesel trucks, one a 2000, one a 2002. Both are good trucks. Both are obsolete. Hitch a trailer on to either and they can't hold a candle to the new heavy pickups.

/ First long towing trip with 2015 F150 2.7EB #68  
Vehicles of today are much, much better than those of old. I own two diesel trucks, one a 2000, one a 2002. Both are good trucks. Both are obsolete. Hitch a trailer on to either and they can't hold a candle to the new heavy pickups.

Being someone who has been driving (and maintaining) vehicles for nearly 70 years now, I couldn't agree more!

/ First long towing trip with 2015 F150 2.7EB #69  
Being someone who has been driving (and maintaining) vehicles for nearly 70 years now, I couldn't agree more!

Next month we are going to Oklahoma on a 4 wheeling trip. 8 trucks pulling trailers. 7 diesels. I'll be grossing 24K lbs. I'll be in the oldest truck. I'll be in the rear of the convoy. :)