First tractor - wet ground... ?

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #1  

RugerSAfan

Tractor
Scag TT2
First time poster, but I have been lurking for a while.

I posted some of this on Orange Tractor Talk over six months ago, and received two comments. I am ready to pull the trigger now, so thought I would try here.

I have a total of 10 acres (10.3 per tax roll, but river erosion has taken a bunch). I water and fertilize a little over two acres, which I mow with a three year old SCAG Turf Tiger II zero turn mower.

The Back seven is what I want the tractor for. Its a low lying peninsula surrounded by river which floods completely every spring (flooding like kayaks float right over it). Its flooding again as we speak. (I certainly home that all this moisture is not the new normal). There are a lot of downed trees, brush, ravines from river flow, etc. In the summer, the area is covered with chest high nettle brush.

What I would like to do with the property is clear the downed trees, and cut to ground level any dead trees. (The DNR requested that any trees taken down have the stump not removed in order to assist with soil erosion. ) I would like to level the ground somewhat, and then possibly plant grass. I could then mow with an implement behind the tractor or if real smooth, with the zero turn. (The zero turn is a beast!)

Right now, the Back Seven is somewhat of a wasteland and I find it overwhelming and somewhat discouraging.

Two years ago, I had a sales guy from the Kubota dealer come out to Grace House to take a look. He did a quick walk around, and he said because of the large trees that were down, he recommended a Kubota L over a B or BX. We did not get into any further specifics since I wasn't ready to purchase at the time.

My fertilizer guy walked the property a couple of weeks ago when it was drier (he has a couple of tractors) and recommended at least a 40 hp tractor due to the size of the downed trees. I spoke with my neighbor last night who has five DRY acres. He has an older MF 38 HP tractor. I asked him what he would do differently. He said 4wd and a smaller tractor. He said "we only need 24-26hp for our size land".

I'm leaning towards a Kubota L2501 since not too large and R1's due to the soft soil. Considering a DT for improved power / traction. Cost is not the issue. If I could justify the size (I can't) I would get a MX4800. I bought too large a zero-turn, don't want to do the same on a CUT.

Honest feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
   / First tractor - wet ground... ? #2  
A heavy 30-35 horse tractor will do a LOT of work, a “light” one not so much. The ground will need to seriously dry out before you can even think of using a heavy tractor or you’ll have ruts out the whazzo. If it floods regularly (sounds like it does) it’s gonna be tough to convert it to a “nice area” as it’s gonna collect garbage every flood.

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #3  
First time poster.

I have a total of 10 acres.

The 澱ack seven acres is what I want the tractor for. Its a low lying peninsula surrounded by river which floods completely every spring. There are a lot of downed trees, brush, ravines from river flow, etc. In the summer, the area is covered with chest high nettle brush.

I would like to clear the downed trees, and cut to ground level any dead trees. (The DNR requested that any trees taken down have the stump not removed in order to assist with soil erosion. ) I would like to level the ground somewhat, and then possibly plant grass. I could then mow with an implement behind the tractor or if real smooth, with the zero turn.

I'm leaning towards a Kubota L2501 since not too large and R1's due to the soft soil. Considering a DT (DT ?) for improved power / traction.

Subcompact and compact tractors under 3,000 pounds bare weight operate in landscape, kitchen/commercial garden or hobby farm applications on one to ten flat acres.

An L2501 will serve but it is a relatively narrow machine relative to a wide MX. Tractors are inherently unstable operating on sloped or uneven ground. The addition of a Loader exacerbates instability. Tractor rear wheel/tire spread, sometimes adjustable, is a critical factor increasing compact tractor stability working sloped or uneven ground. Rear axle is the tractor component on which rear wheels/tires mount. A 6" to 10" wider rear axle substantially decreases tractor rollover potential. Tractor width is simulacrum for rear axle width.

If you are willing to spend thrice the time cutting up tree trunks to make SAFE loader loads (1,000 pounds real world FEL lift) for the relatively narrow L2501 relative to wide MX (2,000 pounds real world FEL lift) go for it, but consider: Time spent wrestling a chainsaw is hazard time. Safety is especially important for neophyte tractor owner/operators.

A good, small Stihl MS261 is $650. A good large Stihl MS461is $1,300. You will need both.

In theory you have the option of towing trees behind the tractor with chain. Towing does not sound practical in your situation. Tractors with 4-WD can tow around 75% of tractor operating weight.
MORE ON TOWING: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...rs-cross-drawbars-illuminated.html?highlight=

A heavy 30-35 horse tractor will do a LOT of work, a “light” one not so much. The ground will need to seriously dry out before you can even think of using a heavy tractor or you’ll have ruts out the whazzo. As it floods regularly it’s gonna be tough to convert it to a “nice area” as it’s gonna collect garbage every flood.

YES

Last edited:
   / First tractor - wet ground... ? #4  
Welcome to TBN.

It sounds like if you do work that allows the river to flow over your land easier and faster, in a few years your land will be on the other side of the river, which will be in a new, straight channel.

Bruce

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #5  
To me your neighbor has the right idea.
What is a "large downed tree"? Are they 60" DBH? 20" DBH?
I've a B7610 (700 lb lift at FEL, ~1400 on 3pt) and an M4700 (2000 lb lift at FEL, 4,000 on 3pt). As jeff wrote I need to cut a 1 ton log in three pieces to carry it with the B7610.

But the B7610 is a LOT lighter and transverses swampy ground (with turfs) where the M4700 gets in deep. Also the B7610 is a lot easier to get unstuck.

Since cost is not an issue why not buy both? :) Then sell the one you don't want. Or better yet rent both sizes for a few weeks to see which one works best for your case.

/ First tractor - wet ground... ?
Is the L2501 too light? I was looking for something that was easily maneuverable since so close to water. Also, my depth perception isn't perfect since blind in one eye. Not a huge issue, since I've been riding motorcycles for 30+ years. But still, I'm not always the best at judging distances. I think it has gotten a bit worse the last couple of years. More of an issue when directly in front of me. The other day, my wife was Facing me fairly close, and I warned her when she turned around not to hit the boards in the back of the truck. She chuckled at me; she had three feet of clearance; my mind saw much less. :) My point is, I want to be careful.

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #7  
Even before using a tractor of any size from the sounds of it I would recommend hiring a tracked machine with a forestry mulcher and paying him to take the first pass thru it.

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #8  
The lower horsepower would indeed be fine once you get your land "in shape". You can use the smaller tractor working that land if you go at a reasonable pace. If you get the forty horse tractor to put the land in shape afterward it may just become a mower puller. You could consider a larger older tractor for prepping the land then sell it and purchase something smaller.

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #9  
Is the L2501 too light? I want to be careful.

L2501 is 2,700 pounds bare tractor weight. MX is 3,700 pounds bare tractor weight with ~~12" wider rear axle.

Consider Newton: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. When you pick up a load with the heavier, wider MX, then roll over uneven ground MX will be much more stable than the L2501.
Safety is especially important for neophyte tractor owner/operators.

Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

When considering a tractor purchase, bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, tractor width third, rear wheel ballast fourth.

VIDEO: Kubota MX series walk around and features by Messicks. | MX48 MX52 MX58 - YouTube

Kubota L2501 - dimensions
Kubota L2501 Tires:
Standard tires (ag):Front: 7.2-16. Rear: 11.2-24 (4WD)
Industrial front: 27x8.50-15 (4WD)
Industrial rear: 15-19.5 (4WD)

Dimensions:
4WD Gear Weight: 2601 lbs [1179 kg]
4WD Hydro Weight: 2623 lbs [1189 kg]
Wheelbase: 63.3 inches [160 cm] 4WD Length: 106.3 inches [270 cm]
Width: 55.1 inches [139 cm]
Height (ROPS): 91.7 inches [232 cm]
4WD Ground clearance: 13.4 inches [34 cm]
Front tread: 41.3 inches [104 cm] (2WD)43.1 inches [109 cm] (4WD)
Rear tread: 43.8/47.1/50.8 inches
[111/119/129 cm]

Page information:
Last update: January 2, 2019
Copyright: Copyright 2019 TractorData LLC

Kubota MX4800 - dimensions
2014 -
Utility tractor
Previous model: Kubota MX4700
Series next: Kubota MX5200

Kubota MX4800 Tires:
Standard tires (ag):Front: 9.5-16. Rear: 14.9-26 (4WD)

Dimensions:
Weight:
3712 lbs [1683 kg] (4WD shuttle)
3729 lbs [1691 kg] (4WD hydro)
Wheelbase: 74.6 inches [189 cm] 4WD
Length: 126.2 inches [320 cm]
Width: 69.7 inches [177 cm]
Height (ROPS): 95.7 inches [243 cm]
4WD Ground clearance: 15.2 inches [38 cm]
Front tread: 50.4 to 62.2 inches (2WD)
52.2 inches [132 cm] (4WD)
Rear tread: 54.1 to 58.7 inches
[137 to 149 cm]

Page information:
Last update: October 11, 2018
Copyright: Copyright 2018 TractorData LLC

Last edited:
   / First tractor - wet ground... ? #10  
Even before using a tractor of any size from the sounds of it I would recommend hiring a tracked machine with a forestry mulcher and paying him to take the first pass thru it.

If your property is as bad as you make it sound this might be the better choice. Get the land in a reasonably maintainable condition then you can get the correct size of machine versus buying a large enough the work done. The the large machine is overkill for maintenance.

Also, if it as wet as it sounds, you would be spending a lot of time with a tractor stuck in the mud.