First tractor - wet ground... ?

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #22  
   / First tractor - wet ground... ? #23  
Are duals possible or practical on a CUT Kubota? Sounds intriguing...

Duals are good on utility tractors in fields. I see many utility tractors with duals in fields around me in north Florida.
Duals are not good mowing residential lawn nor passing between trees in woods work. Duals substantially increase tractor turning radius. Duals limit garage storage.

LINK: Solutions Dual wheels STARCO

Another option for you are bulbous, low-pressure radial tractor tires. Radials are factory options on some compact tractors. Radials are four-ply construction so not as tough as six-ply industrial tires. Tire liners might toughen bulbous radial tractor tires for your conditions.

VIDEO: Tractor Tires: Radial vs. Bias - YouTube

Last edited:
   / First tractor - wet ground... ? #24  
Is the L2501 too light? I was looking for something that was easily maneuverable since so close to water. ...........................

I can add a couple pieces to consider for your decision process from personal experience. First, maneuverability can be surprising. I tried tight circles with my L3200 and L4240 when I had both. Measuring from the side of the rear tire as tight as they would turn, the larger tractor did a circle 21" smaller:

L3200HST or L4240HSTC - Which turns sharper? - OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

How soon you can get onto flooded land is something I'd expect to vary greatly. It would depend on how long the land is submerged, how well it drains, etc. The picture below is of the front of our property. It looks like that anywhere between 0 and 6 times a year. The water is usually out of the banks for a matter of hours. If the water recedes and we get no more rain, I can gather the debris left by the water and mow it two or three days later. The small Ford with R1 tires marks it up more than the big tractor with R4's. Seems like the ground contact area of the big tires compensates for the extra tractor weight. For dealing with mud and worrying about getting stuck, the R1's would be my choice. For getting onto soft ground where marking it up is the concern, the R4's work well for me.

Attachments

• IMG_3460FRTYD.JPG
    IMG_3460FRTYD.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 96
   / First tractor - wet ground... ? #25  
I just went from a 29 hp, 60 axel tractor that amply runs all of my stuff. I sold it and got a tractor with a 80 spread because I was tired of almost tipping on my sloping forest ground.

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #26  
I must be missing something here. You are going to all this work on "the seven" and the river floods over it every year. Are you expecting to get it is a shape that the river will cause less damage when it floods.

/ First tractor - wet ground... ?
I must be missing something here. You are going to all this work on "the seven" and the river floods over it every year. Are you expecting to get it is a shape that the river will cause less damage when it floods.

That's my hop. Usually every spring it's under water (as it is now) and then dries out the rest of the year with deer, turkeys, geese, ducks, badgers, etc. I would like to eventually plant some grass to assist with erosion. This may be a lost cause but I'm hopeful...

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #28  
My question would be, it the land rising due to silt being left, or is it dropping due to soil washing away. Agree with all of the erosion control. I am on the top of a hill and still see a lot of erosion due to rain. I try to divert all of the water to areas that do not wash. Slowing the water down.

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #29  
Folks from other parts of the country might not quite understand our Michigan topography. OP's area is surely kinda flat, overall. Maybe some mounds of sandy hills here and there in the region. Our rivers tend to meander back and forth in slightly lower plains/channels, with bends back and forth that can create fingers of land in between. Since the river normally stays down in its channel, the fingers will be dry-ish for 80-90% of the year, typically only flooding during spring snow melt (ground still frozen, so a late winter rain can raise the rivers FAST) or extended wet periods like we are having now. If this was my land, I would also want to improve these acres and make them usable since they would be dry enough for activities and driving on for most of the year. I would want to grab logs for firewood, make trails for hiking and viewing the river, etc. I don't know about clearing ALL of it out, but that's just me. A good hearty (native) grass could get established on the lowlands and withstand the occasional prolonged flooding events. Basic cleanup after big flooding events would be a normal routine.

My take: don't clear all of it - 7 acres is pretty huge after all. Start with trails and a few open areas. Establish grass in the late spring when the long term forecast looks damp, but not flooded (I know, hard to gauge).

EDIT: I forgot this was about what tractor to buy, haha. Really, Brand shouldn't matter. I would aim for 30-40 BHP and 2800-3500 lbs bare tractor weight. FOrget the gear trans, HST barely robs any power and its SOOOoo much more convenient. Turf tires. Ask your dealers about oversize turf tires to prevent bogging as bad in the mud. Keep 4WD on whenever conditions are wet and also learn to ride the diff lock if it's real sketchy. And simply stay out of there when its under water! :laughing:

/ First tractor - wet ground... ? #30  
What happened up there? The map below shows the Rifle, Titabawasee, Grand and Muskegon all high, some at or near Record stage. Then look at the Chicago area and the Illinois showing Major Flooding.

North Central River Forecast Center

Is this all just snow melt?