Fittings backing off... suggestions

/ Fittings backing off... suggestions #21  
I would try 2 1" flat stock with a hole in the center of each run a bolt with a spacer between the 2 so that the flat stock doesn't bow out. This is after you line the fittings flats inline with each other. A 90 deg open wench might help getting them in line.

Yes, the above is close to what I was going to suggest. You can buy right angle open end wrench adapters, use one on each fitting, put a carriage bolt head through the hole on each wrench end, and fit a plate between each, and use nylock nuts to secure the plate to the two opposite facing wrench end adapters. This way neither fitting can move from where it's set.

/ Fittings backing off... suggestions #22  
Yes, the above is close to what I was going to suggest. You can buy right angle open end wrench adapters, use one on each fitting, put a carriage bolt head through the hole on each wrench end, and fit a plate between each, and use nylock nuts to secure the plate to the two opposite facing wrench end adapters. This way neither fitting can move from where it's set.
crows foot wrench.jpgLlaves-_LLAVE_HEXAGONAL_CROW_FOOT_-LLAVE_HEXAGONAL_CROW_FOOT.png
Crowfoot, straight and flare nut

/ Fittings backing off... suggestions #23  
   / Fittings backing off... suggestions #24  
I was thinking more like this.

Attachments

• Wright-1393.jpg
    Wright-1393.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 79
   / Fittings backing off... suggestions #25  
Drill the nut for safety wire as tcartwi shows and safety wire.
If that scares you , tighten a suitable sized jubilie (hose clamp) around the flare nut until it is misshapen to the hex profile and use that to safety wire in place.

/ Fittings backing off... suggestions #26  
How about putting a rubber hose over both nuts, then hose clamps over the hose and nuts.

/ Fittings backing off... suggestions
Drilled one of my spare fittings yesterday as a test. It was allot softer than I was expecting it to be, so that's the way I'm going to go.

/ Fittings backing off... suggestions #28  
I have two -16 JIC fittings on a machine that are constantly backing off due to vibration and hydraulic pulsing. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to lock these down? I've looked at jigs to drill the fittings for safety wire, but the ones I've found only go up to -12. Loctite makes a thread locker just for this, but everything has to be clean and dry to apply it which never happens, particularly under field repair conditions.

What do you say...
I say one hose clamp around both fittings, that would keep them from turning. :thumbsup:
IMG_20140814_115831 (800x600).jpg

Edit: Too late! :laughing:

/ Fittings backing off... suggestions #29  
LOCTITE makes a product for use with hydraulic fittings. There seems to be a lot of issues with Parker JIC fittings backing off from vibration. Can you change out the ports and hose fitting to ORFS? This is a much better seal for vibration applications.

/ Fittings backing off... suggestions #30  
Nuts that go on bolts are deformed in various ways to keep them from loosening. You could just smash the nut a little near the end to give it some friction on the threads.