Fix that double post? Act quickly!

/ Fix that double post? Act quickly! #1  

the old grind

Tractor
NH T-1520 HST, NH TC33DA HST, Case DX26 HST, .Terramite T5C, . NH L785
Well, it happened again. I spent my five minutes typing a post and another 15 or 20 editing it to make sense, and when I clicked 'post quick reply' it took an awfully long time for the system to post it ... twice. (Not so quick, eh?) Of course, sometimes the 'back' button tricks one into thinking their message didn't go through and they try to say it again, worded as closely as they can remember. Not this time and I suspect not often for anyone else, being sure host server traffic is the usual culprit vs member mistakes. :scratchchin:

If you've been around for a while, you likely realize that 'vBulletin' software and most servers allow you to 'edit' for ~ten minutes without showing the 'edited' note at the bottom of the post. If you look around the page when editing you can see an option to 'delete' post, and that's how I've been dealing with the issue of doubles by axing the second one. I'm not sure exactly which of several tabs etc are sufficient, and may have clicked every one, but it gets the job done for me. :cool:

I'm sure I wasn't the first to spot this quick fix avenue, but wanted to share the idea since TBN is really 'hopping' lately :thumbsup: and I suspect that's what increases double posts. btw, I apologize for just another move to raise my post count. ;) tog

/ Fix that double post? Act quickly! #2  
Double post just happened to me too, Old Grind.

We're not senile. (yet :confused2:)

/ Fix that double post? Act quickly! #3  
I have had this happen a few times in the last 4-5 days.

/ Fix that double post? Act quickly! #4  
There's also a 'restore saved content' option that I sometimes engage, or if I've forgotten to actually post my reply because something interrupted me, I will highlight all my written text and copy it then go back and start the post again and drop in the saved text in case it's otherwise MIA. And sometimes I get the confirm navigation window which asks me if I want to stay on the page or go back? or something to that effect; usually that is when I copy existing text and then chose whether to stay or go. Phew, if you can confirm that you understood what I just said you're ahead of me, except by post count total, right tog?!:confused2::laughing:

/ Fix that double post? Act quickly! #5  
There's also a 'restore saved content' option that I sometimes engage, or if I've forgotten to actually post my reply because something interrupted me, I will highlight all my written text and copy it then go back and start the post again and drop in the saved text in case it's otherwise MIA. And sometimes I get the confirm navigation window which asks me if I want to stay on the page or go back? or something to that effect; usually that is when I copy existing text and then chose whether to stay or go. Phew, if you can confirm that you understood what I just said you're ahead of me, except by post count total, right tog?!:confused2::laughing:
Yeah ... thats what I do. Havnt seen "Restore saved content". Where do you get to that?
larry

/ Fix that double post? Act quickly! #6  
When I get double posted, I click edit and delete the second one.

No need to hurry, you have 24 hours before the edit time ends. :thumbsup:

/ Fix that double post? Act quickly! #7  
Yeah ... thats what I do. Havnt seen "Restore saved content". Where do you get to that?
larry

When I get double posted, I click edit and delete the second one.

No need to hurry, you have 24 hours before the edit time ends. :thumbsup:

As you type, periodically an auto save will occur, which does what it implies and can be used later to 'restore' whatever has already been typed, if for instance you hit a button that deletes what you've already typed. The auto save shows up in the lower right corner of the text dialog box as: auto-saved, highlighted in yellow....
The restore auto saved content will show up on the left lower below the text dialog box IIRC.

BTW, It's possible to delete past 24 hours, but I believe it's via the admin, by request, but I'm not certain of method.

/ Fix that double post? Act quickly! #8  
BTW, It's possible to delete past 24 hours, but I believe it's via the admin, by request, but I'm not certain of method.

You can click on the little triangle at the lower left corner of the post (Report Post) and tell why it should be deleted (double post?) and a moderator can remove it.

/ Fix that double post? Act quickly! #9  
You can click on the little triangle at the lower left corner of the post (Report Post) and tell why it should be deleted (double post?) and a moderator can remove it.

Would that work for for a person that was sorry tomorrow for what they said today?:D