Fixin' to pull the trigger

/ Fixin' to pull the trigger #1  

jezreel

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota - MX5400 DTC
I posted late last year, thinking my wife and I would be in our new house on 20 acres by late June. The rain last year kept us in a perpetual delay, but now we are 2 weeks out. I went to the Green and Orange dealer, and provided a detailed description of our property, and what we plan on doing with it. First thing I wanted to know was what size tractor they recommended. Both recommended the mid-40hp range. Skipping some details to not make this post too long, I have been focussing on the Kubota. When I left the Kubota Dealer we were talking about the L4701, but over the past week I have been exploring the MX4800. My calculations show that the price difference is quite minimal. I will be going to two other Kubota Dealers in the next couple of days to find the dealership with the friendliest and most helpful staff, and the best price.

For those who are familiar with these models, please provide any thoughts on the L4701 vs MX4800.

I will be a First Time tractor owner. Planning to get an FL, BH, BB, and DH for the attachments.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. Ask me questions that might help with any thoughts or suggestions.

/ Fixin' to pull the trigger #2  
Not knowing what you plan to do with the property it's hard to make recommendations, so I won't. If the M series is selling for about the same price as the L series I'd probably go with the M as it's a much heavier duty unit.

/ Fixin' to pull the trigger #3  
I think both are nice. Frankly if I was faced with that decision I'd probably rent one of each for a weekend. You'll learn more that weekend than in a year of discussion.
rScotty

/ Fixin' to pull the trigger #4  
Grand series vs M I’d probably take the grand. Economy series vs M I’d probably take the M.

/ Fixin' to pull the trigger
Thanks folks. A bit of the work I will be doing right now is maintaining a 1/4 mile crushed concrete road with the box blade, cutting 11 acres with the bush hog. The pastures have been overgrown for 13 years after they were left abandoned from watermelon production, so I will be discing and leveling the pastures, ultimately this spring I will be seeding and sprigging for coastal Bermuda, then cutting the pastures once the Bermuda gets going. I have paid a man 3 times to cut the 11 acres for $600 per cutting. I have 9 acres of trees, and a percentage of them downed from a tornado, so I will be using the loader for moving those and cutting up for firewood. I have a few trails thru the woods that I will run the bush hog and hog blade thru on occasion for maintenance. I plan on starting an orchard and having a large garden. I have a new pond that will need a bit of dirt work as well.

Thanks for looking and replying.

I think that gives an accurate idea of my projects.

/ Fixin' to pull the trigger #6  
OK, that gives a better idea of what you will be looking for. A lot of what you are describing is landscape or construction work rather than Ag work.

Given those jobs, I'd go for one of the Kubota TLBs rather than the L or the MX tractors. You pay a little more for the TLB, but you get more capability. More gears, more weight, greater lift, heavier construction, more hydraulics, and a large insulated canopy.
The thumb & hoe combo is particularly good for dealing with trees. And for dirt work of course.

I'm not sure just how one would maintain a crushed gravel/concrete road with a box blade. You may want to get the salesman to show you how to do that. Take a video....
rScotty

/ Fixin' to pull the trigger #7  
What’s wrong with a box blade on a gravel driveway. Seems like a fine combination to me. I’m a big fan of the Kubota TLBs but the cost is pretty substantially more. My biggest complaint is the gearing is too deep and and the loader is non removable. I’ll live with those trade offs for a twice as strong machine.

/ Fixin' to pull the trigger #8  
Things change needs change. Look at the resell of each of the three tractors being three years old.

Buy the one with the best resell. I’d guess that it’s green.

/ Fixin' to pull the trigger #10  
For those who are familiar with these models, please provide any thoughts on the L4701 vs MX4800.

I will be a First Time tractor owner. Planning to get an FL, BH, BB, and DH for the attachments.

Either model will serve but I would favor the MX4800 over the L4701.

MX series tractor parts mostly interchange, meaning your dealer will have more MX parts in stock.

L4701 is kind of an odd man in the Kubota line, which some forecast will disappear but keeps showing up in the lineup every year. Few dealers keep an L4701 in inventory, few maintain L4701 parts inventory.

3) Will want to plant numerous fruit and pecan trees
Larger wheels and tires on the MX will make it more stable operating a Backhoe but will be less able to fit between trees. A $450 Bucket Spade is excellent for tree planting, especially mounted on optional Kubota L2296 heavy-duty, round-back bucket. Much less money than $8,000 Backhoe.

LINK: Tractor and Skidsteer bucket spade shovel

If you decide on MX4800 order optional rigid, pinned, telescoping Lower Link stabilizers, so you can PUSH with a Box Blade in prudent fashion. The standard turnbuckle/chain stabilizers only support the Lower Links when the tractor is moving forward. Turnbuckle stabilizers will bend if you attempt to push with them. (Ask me how I know.)'
VIDEO: Kubota Standard L Series L843 Telescopic Stabilizer kit (overview and install) - YouTube

MX4800 can operate a 72" heavy duty (1,000 pound) Rotary Cutter in every length of dry grass, plus cutting intrusive saplings. Here is a mowing calculator: Mowing Calcuator | How many acres can I mow in an hour

Disc Harrows rely on weight for effectiveness. Weight is in the discs/pans. You can pull a 72" wide Disc Harrow with pans 22" in diameter with an MX4800 or L4701.

Few with Disc Harrows adjust them after putting them to use. If you first process the field two or three times (depending on the weight bearing on each of your disc pans) to loosen ridges, then adjust gang angles less aggressively in increments, the disc may meet your needs solo.

Moist soil will make your project go faster.

Adjust Top Link to vary disc weight distribution. Shorter = more weight on front gangs. Longer = more weight on rear gangs.

More weight on front disc gangs throws dirt OUT. Use on ridges.

More weight on rear/wider disc gangs gathers dirt in. Straddle the swales.

The faster you disc the more dirt is moved.

As the field is smoothed, reduce aggressiveness of front gang angles.
As the field is further smoothed,adjust Position Control so disc is in lighter contact with the soil.

Most pasture grass roots penetrate 7" to 9". Most pasture grass roots survive vigorous disc processing if rain arrives not long after.

If you elect to overseed I highly recommend a <$10.00 soil test and soil amendment per test result(s) prior to seeding. You need to inform testing agency what variety of grass you intend to plant for optimum amendment results.

Attachments

• IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 270
Last edited: