Oil & Fuel Fixing Fuel Gauge 755/855/955 series

/ Fixing Fuel Gauge 755/855/955 series #1  

Snowman9000

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 755
My fuel gauge is not reading properly. Caused me some grief when it ran out of fuel the other day. I have read here that it's not an uncommon issue. But I didn't find any troubleshooting or repair info on it.

What is involved in troubleshooting and repair of the sending unit and gauge? Thanks!

/ Fixing Fuel Gauge 755/855/955 series #2  
On my 4310, I waited until it was nearly empty and stuck my hand in the tank and lifted up on the arm. All the way at the top it read 7/8 full. Now I just add 5 gallons when the guage gets to empty mark. I would think Deere would be able to get the fuel guages fixed but even the newer series of CUT's have problems.

/ Fixing Fuel Gauge 755/855/955 series
My gauge isn't as predictable as that. It shows fuel when there isn't any.

/ Fixing Fuel Gauge 755/855/955 series #5  
I have a 755. My fuel gauge and glow plugs were both bad. When I checked the schematic I noticed glow plugs and fuel gauge both were getting power from fusable links at the starter motor. Both fuses were attached to a crimped connector at the starter. The connector was getting corroded. The problem was with that crimped connector.

/ Fixing Fuel Gauge 755/855/955 series #6  
Try checking the plug on the back of the gauge, mine loosens up some times.

/ Fixing Fuel Gauge 755/855/955 series #7  
Be sure that it is a low fuel issue. My755 ran out of fuel when the gage read half full. Turned out to be the fuel pickup tube in the tank. It broke off halfway down. It was an easy fix.

/ Fixing Fuel Gauge 755/855/955 series #8  
Be sure that it is a low fuel issue. My755 ran out of fuel when the gage read half full. Turned out to be the fuel pickup tube in the tank. It broke off halfway down. It was an easy fix.

What size of line did you use for the pickup tube?

/ Fixing Fuel Gauge 755/855/955 series #9  
Sorry to say that I don't remember. I no longer have the 755. This happened about 6 or7 years ago. I just took the old fuel pickup line to my local JD dealer and he fixed me up.

/ Fixing Fuel Gauge 755/855/955 series #10  
The metal pickup tube is 5/16" OD. So, I'd use 5/16" fuel line.