fixing ruts in field with tall grass

/ fixing ruts in field with tall grass #1  

Michelle K linnane

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4103
My barn was put up during a snow storm and when they moved the trusses with rented machine they left 1 1/2 to 2 foot ruts. It could not be helped and now ground hard finally and grass has grown up. It is almost impossible to even brush hog. I managed to back blade with bucket near barn but I do not see how I can fix with with a box blade or a blade with the grass is very difficult. I do not really have the soil to fill in. I did manage scrap back few of them but was pretty tough with bucket. I thought about putting tarp down to kill grass and then work it up with bucket. But really slow process. If I am missing something please speak up.

/ fixing ruts in field with tall grass #2  
The ground hard finally and grass has grown up. It is almost impossible to even brush hog.

Timing is everything. You should have been on the 18" - 24" ruts earlier.
Some ruts!

You can kill the grass with one or two applications of Roundup/glycophospate. This herbicide is most effective when grass is growing vigorously. (Be careful with this herbicide. Bathe and put on clean attire immediately after herbicide application.)

If your Deere is heavy enough and 4-WD, a HEAVY rear/angle blade set on an angle may fill the ruts with several passes. You can run down/straddle the ruts with a rear/angle blade.

VIDEO:

A bulldozer can remedy the situation. There will be plenty of smoothing for your tractor if you contract a bulldozer.

There is no data on the web for a Deere 4103. Have you posted your correct model? There is data for the Deere 4105 and Deere 5103.

Last edited:
   / fixing ruts in field with tall grass #3  
A bulldozer can remedy the situation. There will be plenty of smoothing for your tractor to do after a bulldozer.
Yes, I'd rent (or better yet, pay the excavator guy) for a 'dozer.

Send the bill to the guys that caused the ruts...

Last edited:
   / fixing ruts in field with tall grass #5  
Can you buy a load of dirt or manure?

Around here, you can often get manure for the hauling.
Sometimes even get it delivered.

Mostly from non-farming horsey people

Last edited:
   / fixing ruts in field with tall grass
Timing is everything. You should have been on the 18" - 24" ruts earlier.
Some ruts!

You can kill the grass with one or two applications of Roundup/glycophospate. This herbicide is most effective when grass is growing vigorously. (Be careful with this herbicide. Bathe and put on clean attire immediately after herbicide application.)

If your Deere is heavy enough and 4-WD, a HEAVY rear/angle blade set on an angle may fill the ruts with several passes. You can run down the ruts with a rear/angle blade.

VIDEO:

A bulldozer can remedy the situation. There will be plenty of smoothing for your tractor if you contract a bulldozer.

There is no data on the web for a Deere 4103. Have you posted your correct model? There is data for the Deere 4105 and Deere 5103.
I have a new 4066 with is 66 HP with 4 Wheel DRive

/ fixing ruts in field with tall grass #7  
I have a new 4066 with is 66 HP with 4 Wheel DRive

Enter the current Deere model into your T-B-N PROFILE.
JD 4103

John Deere 4066R Dimensions​

Dimensions
Wheelbase:73 inches
185 cm
Length:130.6 inches
331 cm
Height (ROPS):100.2 inches
254 cm
Height (cab):97.4 inches
247 cm
4WD ROPS Weight:3770 lbs
1710 kg
4WD Cab Weight:4675 lbs
2120 kg
Clearance (front axle):13.8 inches
35 cm
Front tread:53.6 inches
136 cm
Rear tread:59.9 inches
152 cm

Not enough weight to deal simultaneously with grass AND hard ground. Kill the grass first with Roundup/glcophosphate, then use an rear/angle blade to angle dirt into ruts.

T-B-N ARCHIVE: rear angle scraper filling ruts site:tractorbynet.com

Last edited:
   / fixing ruts in field with tall grass #8  
You don't say how long these ruts are. I'd get a load of fill material and fill the ruts and back drag them smooth.

/ fixing ruts in field with tall grass #9  
   / fixing ruts in field with tall grass #10  
You don't mention what you have for implements.
Brush hog the grass, if it hits the dirt it will usually survive,
once the grass is out of the way disc it up going with the ruts as much as possible the first time.
That should knock down the worst of it, then keep on disking and back blading or have some soil
brought in to fill and level.