Fixing the Harbor Freight Quick Hitch top hook (like everyone else)

/ Fixing the Harbor Freight Quick Hitch top hook (like everyone else) #1  

jrdecat

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1705
Well the general consensus on this site was that the HF QH was "good enough" if you're willing to modify things...so I went ahead and bought it on the Memorial Day sale. Of course my rear scraper blade hit the bolts for the top hook, so it was off to the shop. Hopefully this will help someone make this fix in the future.

hook.jpg

I didn't have any 1-1/8" stock lying around, but I did have some 3/8" and 3/8" x 3 = 1-1/8", so I cut 3 pieces of 3/8" x 1-1/2" bar stock to about 3-1/2" long.

bars.jpg

Spent a little time on the grinder and beveled all the edges to get some nice penetration.

Clamped everything together and tacked it all up.

bevels.jpg

Drilled the first hole, then bolted the spacer to the hook so that I could match up the hole spacing, then drilled the second hole.

drill.jpg

Welded up one side and then ground it smooth so I could weld that side to the hook. My welder is in the shop so I had to borrow my buddy's Hobart. It did pretty good, although I had the wire speed a little too high and got some tall welds.

weld1.jpg

Clamped the spacer to the hook and then started filling in all the grooves. I didn't realize it, but my spacer moved when I was clamping and i got the holes on the spacer about 1/16" off from the originals on the hook.

weld2.jpg
weld3.jpg

I decided not to grid the welds flush because it's going on the back of a tractor to do work, not to look pretty. Just a little wire wheel action and she's all done!

wire3.jpg
wire2.jpg
wire1.jpg
wire4.jpg

Have a beer.

beer.jpg

/ Fixing the Harbor Freight Quick Hitch top hook (like everyone else) #2  
Will it still work with the holes off 1/16th?

/ Fixing the Harbor Freight Quick Hitch top hook (like everyone else)
Yes. It only changes the vertical distance from the bellies of the bottom hooks to the belly of the top hook. With the HF China pledge of accuracy I don't think it matters!

/ Fixing the Harbor Freight Quick Hitch top hook (like everyone else) #4  
I took the bolts out and put in two roll pins cut to length. Works great.

/ Fixing the Harbor Freight Quick Hitch top hook (like everyone else) #5  
Your post is an inspiration to modify mine like that. I should have done this a long time ago.

Here's my solution for quick-n-easy hook height adjustment. These pins have a spring-loaded button like the way a socket is kept on a ratchet, but I use the clips anyway.

Also shown in the photo is the modification I made to my trailer hitch bar to keep the ball vertical. Those little plates are bolted both ends, but are welded to sleeves with OD that matches openings of the lower hooks. This looks lightweight but works fine pulling my 2600 lb watering trailer over rough ground without bending those plates.

475243d1469142470-pats-quick-hitch-vs-northern-kimg1766rqh-toplinkpins-jpg

/ Fixing the Harbor Freight Quick Hitch top hook (like everyone else) #6  
A company called Quality Farm Supply, qualityfarmsupply.com, sells a replacement hook with additional reach for around $15 if I remember correctly. Since I don't weld, that was a good option for me. Even if you do weld, that's a pretty cheap price to save a lot trouble doing it yourself. You can still reward yourself with a beer after ordering it, hehehe.

/ Fixing the Harbor Freight Quick Hitch top hook (like everyone else) #7  
I took the bolts out and put in two roll pins cut to length. Works great.

Hey Screamin, I don't quite understand what you are getting at here. I'm always looking for inovative ideas. Would you please give a little more explanation.

/ Fixing the Harbor Freight Quick Hitch top hook (like everyone else) #8  
A company called Quality Farm Supply, qualityfarmsupply.com, sells a replacement hook with additional reach for around $15 ... Even if you do weld, that's a pretty cheap price to save a lot trouble doing it yourself.

This one? These guys are out of stock, but their $15 price is better than other vendors I found for the same part #: SMA Part Number 873-HF141137.

873-HF141137 TOP HOOK FOR CAT 1 QUICK HITCH S141137 - Quality Farm Supply - Farm equipment, tractor parts, agricultural supplies

Or you can buy that part # at AllGreenParts for only $45. What a deal! :)

Thanks, I didn't know anyone makes those.

/ Fixing the Harbor Freight Quick Hitch top hook (like everyone else) #10