Mowing flail mower

/ flail mower
Thanks! I was hoping to keep my limit under $2K--so,maybe I'm not being too unrealistic.

/ flail mower #12  
I don't think 2K is unrealistic. I'd check some prices on a good rotary cutter ~1000-1500 range and then check into flail's as to size and general comparisons. I've seen many a fields cut with like a rhino or a woods/jd rotary and it looks realy good I use a finishing mower myself setup about 3.5-5". I know i seen a ton of flail mowers in nc from state mowing i honestly have never seen one used in tn or at dealer eather i guess were too cheap over here?

What happens when flail mower hits a rock stump or something else like that do they jump up or roll over it or wam bam? I seen a picture looks like little cutting discs in place of tiller tines like on tiller?

/ flail mower
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( )</font> What happens when flail mower hits a rock stump or something else like that do they jump up or roll over it or wam bam? </font><font color="blue" class="small">( )</font>

Good question, I'd also like to know how they handle rocks..not that I plan to mow rocks, but those buggers seem to grow after a good rain here in NC! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ flail mower #14  
Tony,
Agri-supply in NC sell a Caroni 73 " flail mower for $1300 in the catalog. I'm sure they have smaller ones. They have 3 stores, in Garner, Greenville, and Lumberton.

/ flail mower
Thanks, Jim! I will check into that. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ flail mower
Jim,
i checked in Agri-Supply...they do have smaller mowers, 47" and 59" I believe. I noticed, however, the HP rating for even the 48" model is 20-40 HP. I've looked at some other brands of similar size and weight, and those are all rated at 15-40 HP.
I'm wondering if my 18-19 HP yanmar will pull this thing--I'm also concerned about weight..it's around 468 lbs, about 240 more than my rototiller!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
thanks

/ flail mower #17  
Tony, we just put a 47" Caroni behind a YM1610D and it handled it with no problem. The tractor has a loader on it, so the rear weight is no problem either.

/ flail mower
Thanks, Dave! My tractor is a 1401d with about 100 lbs. up front..do you think it would be suitable?

/ flail mower #19  
Tony, it would be marginal. You would want more weight up front I think. A loader is great ballast /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. It would probably mow OK, but if the grass/weeds were long and/or wet you might have to go very slow.

/ flail mower #20  
How big a one could someone put on a agco 5020 4x4 20 pto ~24 engine hp weights about 2200# around size of 2000 or so i quess? I tried to look at flail mowers but never could find anything other than parts any page #'s ..