Mowing flail mower

/ flail mower #21  
On a 20 PTO HP tractor, you should be able to run a 60" nicely. Remember though that anytime we talk mowers one must consider the application. If it is tall, wet and thick you have an entirely different animal than dry, low and sparse.

/ flail mower #22  
I planned on getting a rotary cutter 5' one like the lx-5 for 1300$ I planned on mowing some rental lots when my renters don't mow there yards and becomes a field and my back 40 lot.... Generaly about 6-12" more or less in dry condition maybe some small tree starters less than 1"

/ flail mower
Thanks, Dave! I will look into adding more weight to my 1401d..up front. I can take care of the weight problem, but I guess the HP is my biggest concern. Fortunately, the biggest weeds I would be mowing are around 1/4" in diameter.

"A loader is great ballast" ..hmm, are you trying to sell me a loader?!
/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ flail mower
thanks, shady1701! I have looked at the Caroni info... I noticed even the 36" flail is listed at 20-40 hp. That's partly why I had a question about using a 48" with my less-than-20hp 1401d. I have noticed that other manufacturers list comparably sized mowers at 15-40 hp...so, I was hoping it would be okay for my 1401d, provided I had enough front weight and didn't try mowing down anything over 1/2" diameter?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ flail mower #26  
The website noted they had several different configurations of tines i'd say the more tines/cutting edges you put the more hp you'd need looks like a big rotary tiller. I have a ~60 or 66" iseki tiller my tractor does good till it sinks up in a hole then it realy lugs the engine a bunch..

I was wondering if anyone priced like a 60" flailer at agri-supply? I only seen the ~68 or 73"?? $1300 but i'd like to see if they had a smaller one and pricing i put in a price quote/cat request and yet to hear anyone over there if they could check prices thanks!

/ flail mower
shady1701,
I called their catalog center...don't have the number handy, but it's on the catalog. If you don't have it, I can get back to you with it.

Yes, they have a 59" flail...just not advertised. It runs around $1,190. The 47" is $1,139.