Flail Spreader?

/ Flail Spreader? #1  

tessiers

Platinum Member
Tractor
05' JD 790 - 53' Ford NAA - 70' Massey Fergusen 135 diesel - 67' John Deere 3020 deisel - 77' John Deere 2130 - 1950 John Deere MC
Anyone built a flail spreader? I think I got a hold of a 1000 gallon Tank and I would like to build one. Looking for Ideas.

/ Flail Spreader? #2  
Ive got one started right now, well my tanks is moved closer to the demo torch and my bearings are set out and Im looking at the chains lol. I m making one from a 500 gallong gasoline storage tank. It was in a fire and burnt out. Its got a few dents that need straightening. I was sick the other day I carried a 20 yard load of tin from a demo to the scrap yard and 2 crackhead retards brought in a nice old Howard Roto spreader and wouldnt sell it for 3 times scrap price just backed it into the grapple.

My advice given to me from a retired dairy farmer that had made one years back said to make the chains that hold the flail tips about an inch and a half from the walls. He said under heavy use when the chains wore a bit the flails would get into the drum.

I need one to throw cow and horse exhaust onto my sawdust mix for m y compost piles.

/ Flail Spreader?
I think I found a 1000 gallon tank for scrap price. It is 4' daimeter and 10' 6" long. I am planning on running it direct to the PTO, which seams a little fast, according to my Research they run about 300 RPM's. I figure I will just Idle down a little. I am thinking 3/8" chain, 6" or so apart with a piece of flat Bar for the flail tip.

What I am wondering is what size for the center shaft?

Solid stock for shaft or Pipe welded onto Bar?

If Pipe, do I need to concern myself with balance or will Bar sleaved in Pipe be close enough?

Opposing flails or staggered?

Thanks

/ Flail Spreader? #4  
The reaon most run a double Vbelt is so that it will reduce the shock. of the flails in the muck. Theres a Youtube vid on a roto spreader that show alot of details on one pulled with a grey Ferguson. YouTube - Howard Rota Spreader