Flightradar24 Interesting Finds

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds
Three news choppers over NY, NY right now.

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds
Sheesh, 13 over the LA area. Too many to take a snapshot of.

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #23  
We have a plane with lots of big lights that flys over every now and then.
None of us have any idea what it is.
Maybe time to check.
I worked around planes for many years and never saw anything like this before.

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #24  
I deleted the version I had. It wasn't very accurate, especially for military aircraft. I practically live directly under an area where the Air Force runs to the gulf coast and the Mexico boarder. They also fly a lot of training runs in this area. And VERY low. I'd look at the app and it would say the planes were T-38s (trainers) and I'd look up and they were more like F-35s. Same with some of the large cargo planes. The app would report them as something like a private jet. :rolleyes:

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #25  
I'm not sure what the FAA transponder regulations are for military aircraft. On two occasions, I've seen a flight of 5 jets flying very low in formation near my house. They don't show up at all on FlightRadar24.

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #26  
I use Flight Aware to see which planes are flying over us. Kinda amazing to see what is up there.

I have never seen military flights on Flight Aware and I see lots of military choppers with some planes from time to time. Seen quite a few Osprey's over the last few months. They make a very distinct sound. Had a flight of 3-4 of them, at low altitude, in trail, right over the house. Made a heck of a racket and was great to see and hear! 😁

Most of the choppers are medical flights, a few private ones, and a state police copter that is pretty regular in it's flight times and pattern. One time the state police chopper was flying its normal path but did a few circles a half mile away from us for some reason. Never figure out why.

Years ago, before I started using Flight Aware, which might no even existed, there was a prop plane, sounded like twin engine, that would fly over our house around 11:30pm each night. I really wondered who that plane was and what it was doing every night. I really wonder if it was a Special Forces air craft doing training.

Later,
Dan

/ Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #28  
   / Flightradar24 Interesting Finds #29  
It's one of the few apps I pay for - I pay so I can get alerts, which I set up for particular calfire planes & copters in this area.
I find that the first clue that I've got that there's a fire nearby is #A230 buzzing by, and then I can almost pinpoint it on the map by seeing where the plane is circling.

We get a U2 out of Beale fairly often - shakes the world - but it never shows up on the map. The T38 trainer flights out of there often do, though.

1642019044586.png

Last edited: