Float option routing

/ Float option routing #11  
Thanks for the reply. My valve looks just like the on pictured on the 285. My 285 is reddish orange colored but is otherwise identical looking. How can I tell if the valve has the float function? When I push the handle up to lower the bucket it does not detent like my Case 580 does.
Eric
You can tell by just looking at the bottom of the valve.

Here is two examples. On the left picture, you see that the left spool cover is longer than the right one. The left spool has the detent for the float position. The right picture, both spool covers are the same length, so none have the detent position. This technique works for almost every valve, however there are some exceptions out there like valves with float and regen.

China Hydraulics Loader Valve 4-Way W/ Float P40 - China Valve, Control  Valve
Amazon.com: Hydraulic Joystick Directional Control Monoblock Valve for  Tractor Loader, 2 Spool, 11 GPM, SAE Ports : Industrial & Scientific

Sometimes, if the float detent is not used for long periods of time, moisture can accumulate inside the detent mechanism and rust things in place or freeze in the winter. If your valve has indeed float, this maybe the issue for it to not engage.

/ Float option routing #12  
You can tell by just looking at the bottom of the valve.

Here is two examples. On the left picture, you see that the left spool cover is longer than the right one. The left spool has the detent for the float position. The right picture, both spool covers are the same length, so none have the detent position. This technique works for almost every valve, however there are some exceptions out there like valves with float and regen.

China Hydraulics Loader Valve 4-Way W/ Float P40 - China Valve, Control  Valve
Amazon.com: Hydraulic Joystick Directional Control Monoblock Valve for  Tractor Loader, 2 Spool, 11 GPM, SAE Ports : Industrial & Scientific

Sometimes, if the float detent is not used for long periods of time, moisture can accumulate inside the detent mechanism and rust things in place or freeze in the winter. If your valve has indeed float, this maybe the issue for it to not engage.
Out of the back of my valve the two spool covers are the same length. So I guess I have no float. It would be nice if I could just buy the proper spool, cover, detent, etc. to convert mine but I imagine that would be hard to do. Maybe if I lived in Viet Nam. So I guess what I will need to do is take your advice about gpm and then try to match threads and valve style, so that the hoses come out of the valve on the side like my valve. That will make changeover much easier. After using the float function on my Case I know how useful it is and I would really like it on my small tractor.
Thanks,
Eric

/ Float option routing #13  

I'm wondering if this valve could be used to add float to an existing loader valve without float capability. Guessing that the plumbing might get hairy.

/ Float option routing #14  
1638584290755.png

Here is the required plumbing setup

/ Float option routing #15  
The plumbing doesn't look to be as bad as I had envisioned. I was concerned about the volume differential between the base and rod ends of the cylinder but looks like the return to tank takes care of that.

That is a very neat diagram and follows the "picture worth a thousand words". I would personally like to see more diagrams included in "hydraulic discussions" but I also realize it takes time to lay them out.

/ Float option routing #16  
Fortunately Surplus Center had that diagram in the literature for the valve and I was able to just copy and paste it.