Flow reduction from elbows

/ Flow reduction from elbows #1  

texbaylea

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST w/LA723 loader
Is the flow reduction from elbows generally a concern for other than hydraulic motors? I am thinking about reworking the layout for the lines of my auxiliary circuits and would add elbows for compactness.

Vernon

/ Flow reduction from elbows #2  
You will have some loss, but not critical. The less turns you make, and less fittings, the better.

/ Flow reduction from elbows #3  
Is the flow reduction from elbows generally a concern for other than hydraulic motors? I am thinking about reworking the layout for the lines of my auxiliary circuits and would add elbows for compactness.

Vernon

There will be NO flow losses, unless there are leakage.
But there will be a loss of power, due to a pressure drop over that elbow restriction. Powerloss will be converted to heat.

Power=Pressure x Flow

Pressure drops increases with increased flow.

Avoid sharp corners and elbows on hydralic lines if possible.....building compact is nice, but can cost some in-efficiancy and power losses....Do not forget that this applies even more to the return side of the system aswell.

/ Flow reduction from elbows #4  
If the elbows are on the feed (IN, OUT, PB) side of the valve then possibly since the fluid is flowing all the time. But if they are on the work ports then I am sure you would never notice because of the intermittent use they tend to have.

/ Flow reduction from elbows #5  
If the elbows are on the feed (IN, OUT, PB) side of the valve then possibly since the fluid is flowing all the time.
I agree that the feed/return is more critical, especially if it is an Open Center, OC, system with constant flow
But if they are on the work ports then I am sure you would never notice because of the intermittent use they tend to have.
I think it can be a good idea to be a little careful here....there are systems that work more or less constantly out of a work port too.
Also, if you expect as much output power (hp) as possible from a motor, that elbow will do the same damage on a work port line, workport line are also usually down sized compared to the feed/return....

/ Flow reduction from elbows #6  
I think it can be a good idea to be a little careful here....there are systems that work more or less constantly out of a work port too.
Also, if you expect as much output power (hp) as possible from a motor, that elbow will do the same damage on a work port line, workport line are also usually down sized compared to the feed/return....

I would venture to say that 99.9% of the time cylinders are operated from the auxiliary hydraulics on CUT's, not motors. But I do understand what you are saying in general-My comment is based on what I know happens with CUT's specifically.

/ Flow reduction from elbows #7  
Here is some actual data from Parker.

ISZ

Attachments

• fitting_pressure drop_Parker.pdf
    60.8 KB · Views: 387
   / Flow reduction from elbows #8  
Vernon, give some more details on what you plan on running. Generally speaking, the flow reduction using elbows is not a cause for any concern on CUT's.