FMC 5x5 Sidewinder auction score!!

/ FMC 5x5 Sidewinder auction score!! #11  
I bought a tire driven FMC Sidewinder last summer. It is so quiet, all I hear is the blades cutting the grass. From comments I read, FMC made good equipment. If a pull behind fits your needs, you made a great deal.

/ FMC 5x5 Sidewinder auction score!! #12  
I had a Sidewinder for a couple of years and it was a great cutter but it was just to heavy for safe use on the hills I mow. Got my money plus out of it when sold. A heavy, tuff cutter for sure, just had to make sure to check the tire pressure every now and again.

/ FMC 5x5 Sidewinder auction score!!
It seems to be a good mower , I bought this one just to add to my collection, dont really need it as i use a finish mower ,
the first BH i bought was a 6 ft but it was too big for my tractor as long as i went slow it was fine but i sold it and wanted
a 5 ft hog ,, I may go ahead and convert it over to a 3 pt for a quick hitch as thats what i use on my tractor . I see this as
another tool to have in the tool box , if i ever need it i got it and it will make your life easier .

/ FMC 5x5 Sidewinder auction score!! #14  
Converting to a 3pt might be too heavy if your tractor struggles with 6’.
Seems to have good rubber and it cuts!
You scored!
Want to double your money?

/ FMC 5x5 Sidewinder auction score!!
Converting to a 3pt might be too heavy if your tractor struggles with 6’.
Seems to have good rubber and it cuts!
You scored!
Want to double your money?
Hello,
no my tractor calls for a 5 ft BH ,, i just thought i could swing a 6 ft BH it pulled it ok on flats but it worked it more
on the slopes , so i sold the 6ft BH . I'm a welder fabricator so converting over would be a simple process . one of the 14 inch
tires are preety much shot so the cost of a new tire is the same cost for a solid wheel tire for a 3pt hook up . will see
i think for now i will try to get a 14 inch tube and put in that tire and make some videos for you tube on the 5 ft mower
as i searched and there are zero videos for the 5 footer , a few for the six footers and the one with the wheel at the
pto for operation .
Thanks for all of the replies
Jake

/ FMC 5x5 Sidewinder auction score!! #16  
I have one of those, it was included when I bought the B414 in my picture, The u-joints seem pretty loose, so I will replace those and I need to figure out why the blades don't turn when the wheel is spinning, just found out tonight it is called a Sidewinder.

/ FMC 5x5 Sidewinder auction score!! #17  
As long as the spindle bearing for the blades are free to spin then you need to adjust the tire. There is a procedure, should be able to find it on line, for setting the load/pressure of the tire against the plate on which the blades are mounted.

I no longer have the adjusting info but as best as I recall it involved adding or removing shims under the pillow block bearings the tire shaft is mounted on and moving the tire hub forward or back on the shaft. I do remember the shim part because I had to make some.

/ FMC 5x5 Sidewinder auction score!! #18  
As long as the spindle bearing for the blades are free to spin then you need to adjust the tire. There is a procedure, should be able to find it on line, for setting the load/pressure of the tire against the plate on which the blades are mounted.

I no longer have the adjusting info but as best as I recall it involved adding or removing shims under the pillow block bearings the tire shaft is mounted on and moving the tire hub forward or back on the shaft. I do remember the shim part because I had to make some.
That is correct - you remove the shims to lower the tire. Also make sure the tire is at 35 PSI.

/ FMC 5x5 Sidewinder auction score!! #19  
Hello,
no my tractor calls for a 5 ft BH ,, i just thought i could swing a 6 ft BH it pulled it ok on flats but it worked it more
on the slopes , so i sold the 6ft BH . I'm a welder fabricator so converting over would be a simple process . one of the 14 inch
tires are preety much shot so the cost of a new tire is the same cost for a solid wheel tire for a 3pt hook up . will see
i think for now i will try to get a 14 inch tube and put in that tire and make some videos for you tube on the 5 ft mower
as i searched and there are zero videos for the 5 footer , a few for the six footers and the one with the wheel at the
pto for operation .
Thanks for all of the replies
Jake
I don't know what tractor you have, but I think he was referring to whether you'd be able to lift it with your 3ph. My dad bought a 5-1/2' Sidewinder similar to this in the late '60s to use with our AC model C. It was a heavy beast and took everything we dished out. Later, he bought a MF50 and we continued to abuse it until it and the MF were stolen. Ours had the gearbox, slip clutch, but the ratchet height only adjusted the rear. Seems like the back was curved.