FMC 5x5 Sidewinder auction score!!

/ FMC 5x5 Sidewinder auction score!! #21  
That is correct - you remove the shims to lower the tire. Also make sure the tire is at 35 PSI.

Yeah, I forgot about the tire air pressure... I remember that biting me more than once.

/ FMC 5x5 Sidewinder auction score!! #22  
I always find it interesting that people mount crappy tries on equipment, especially ones they want to off at an auction.

I'd put on some real implement tires and be done with it as well as removing the ratchet binder and installing a suitable hydraulic cylinder to adjust the height. Nothing worse than cranking a rusted ratchet binder when a cylinder can be substituted easily.

I'd also be looking at the mower blades, I bet they are rounded over or shot and do they swing easily and is the stump jumper pan intact? Sharp blades always cut better and require much less pto power too.

Finally, that pto shaft is ancient and old style and I bet lack of greasing has taken it's toll on the sliding halves as well as the U joints which is probably where the vibration and noise is coming from A new pto driveline would be in order if it was mine and ASC sells imported drivelines pretty cheap.

/ FMC 5x5 Sidewinder auction score!! #23  
Given the low outset price, I bet OP could damn near rebuild that thing, and come out on top!

/ FMC 5x5 Sidewinder auction score!! #24  
As long as the spindle bearing for the blades are free to spin then you need to adjust the tire. There is a procedure, should be able to find it on line, for setting the load/pressure of the tire against the plate on which the blades are mounted.

I no longer have the adjusting info but as best as I recall it involved adding or removing shims under the pillow block bearings the tire shaft is mounted on and moving the tire hub forward or back on the shaft. I do remember the shim part because I had to make some.
A previous owner brazed the hub to the shaft, so until I can remove the brazing, maybe replace the whole shaft with the hub, it is out of commission. Only one thin shim under the rear pillow block, guess I could machine some off the face of the pillow block base. The tire looks to be in good shape and holds air.

/ FMC 5x5 Sidewinder auction score!!
the plan now is to turn this into a 3 point hookup with a quick hitch attachment ,, that's what i run on all of
my attachments , the wheel assembly came today $ 126.00 delivered , should be a easy project.
alittle cutting , welding , maybe a little lathe or mill work and it will be done ...

/ FMC 5x5 Sidewinder auction score!!
this brush hog is done, 2 wheels are gone and 3 pt conversion.
works and cuts very well.

From this
t17qcB6.jpg

btQmGAd.jpg

To This

hT8aR5Z.jpg

flI6xWQ.jpg

/ FMC 5x5 Sidewinder auction score!! #27  
You wanted to do it and you did it! Pretty cool! 😁