FMCSA interpretation of GCWR

/ FMCSA interpretation of GCWR #51  
That is correct but my problem is that my combined GCWR is over 26,000 with my trailer attached so I need the medical card as explained in the other PDF regarding safety requirements.

/ FMCSA interpretation of GCWR
That is correct but my problem is that my combined GCWR is over 26,000 with my trailer attached so I need the medical card as explained in the other PDF regarding safety requirements.

Correct but wouldn't you need the DOT number to go along with it?

/ FMCSA interpretation of GCWR #53  
I do not believe so. Earlier this year I called the DOT directly and after a few more calls I finally learned from the state patrol office (enforcement office) that I am ok without a DOT number. They did however advise me that it would be good thing to do and since it is free I should get one as it might eliminate any questions from the uninformed patrol officier. I never did apply for one though as I thought it might confuse things even more. For example, no DOT means everything is farm use but with the DOT number than maybe it could imply that I am indeed operating the vehicle as a commerical truck at times?

The following is what I learned: If I stay within the state even if I exceed 26,000 I do not need a DOT. However if I cross state lines as a farmer with a truck or truck and trailer and the combination exceeding 26,000-lbs, then I need to have a USDOT Number.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
   / FMCSA interpretation of GCWR #54  
The arguments about revenue enhancement don't fly with me, here is why-
At my NC property we are annoyed every few minutes by a big rig descending a long steep grade on I-26 with no mufflers and using his jake brake.
No problem with jake brakes, great device, but don't take the dang mufflers off the truck then run around making a huge amount of noise. I also hear the legal trucks but just barely, and have no problem with them or "normal" traffic noise.
So the point is- virtually everyone of those trucks go through a weigh station further west on I-26. Do the "transport cops" there write them a ticket for no mufflers? NOPE. Easy money for the state. It is illegal under both state and federal law to tamper with the exhaust system on vehicles built since 1985 or so. Pretty easy to spot trucks with no mufflers...usually an independent often with those gigantic stacks... So why do they bypass this "easy money" ticket?
BTW my main home is several miles from another interstate and I've never know it was there except for- yep- the illegally modified trucks with no mufflers. Don't even get me started on the dang Harleys, and I'm a biker too, just hate loud unnecessary noise:cool:

Actually, it's only illegal to tamper with emissions related exhaust components. Mufflers are only for noise suppression. The turbo charger on a diesel qualifies as a "restrictive device" in the exhaust stream and there you have the loophole that lets diesels run straight pipes. Why they've never changed the rules I don't really know. Some towns are posted "no Jake zones" because of noise ordinance issues.

/ FMCSA interpretation of GCWR #55  
NC state law specifically states mufflers are mandatory.
Besides the NC transport police have told me they can write tickets for it, from what I see they just apparently don't bother. When I asked to see data about how many muffler tickets they write annually they refused.
They did offer to pay an inspection visit to any in state based trucker that I report to them. Kinda hard to do when I can't see them, only hear them.:(
Seems it would be a lot easier to just catch 'em as they come through the weigh station...
Interestingly the company that makes the Jake Brake pleads for enforcement of noise laws since it makes them look "bad" when really it isn't their product but the misapplication of it that causes issues.

Last edited:
   / FMCSA interpretation of GCWR #56  
The arguments about revenue enhancement don't fly with me, here is why-
At my NC property we are annoyed every few minutes by a big rig descending a long steep grade on I-26 with no mufflers and using his jake brake.
No problem with jake brakes, great device, but don't take the dang mufflers off the truck then run around making a huge amount of noise. I also hear the legal trucks but just barely, and have no problem with them or "normal" traffic noise.
So the point is- virtually everyone of those trucks go through a weigh station further west on I-26. Do the "transport cops" there write them a ticket for no mufflers? NOPE. Easy money for the state. It is illegal under both state and federal law to tamper with the exhaust system on vehicles built since 1985 or so. Pretty easy to spot trucks with no mufflers...usually an independent often with those gigantic stacks... So why do they bypass this "easy money" ticket?
BTW my main home is several miles from another interstate and I've never know it was there except for- yep- the illegally modified trucks with no mufflers. Don't even get me started on the dang Harleys, and I'm a biker too, just hate loud unnecessary noise:cool:

There is no need for removing the mufflers. I tell drivers it's bad enough to have to drive a big scary truck to make up for you "shortcomings", but adding an ape hanger shifter and removing the baffles is an advertisement not wanted if you're trying to get a date.:D

Other than excessive noise tickets in municipalities, the only exhaust tickets I've seen here in Maine is for faulty, leaky, systems. They get right on that.

No answer on the exhaust, but you still haven't convinced me, in large part, it's not about money. States vary in enforcement levels too. NY,CT and ME are brutal. We have an officer up here that is worse than that. I always want to tell him I'm not the driver that is sleeping with his wife, because that's the amount of respect he gives us.

It's an engine brake, btw. I've turned a couple towns in to this link just for fun. Build your house on a large hill or major thruway and then tell me not to use a federally passed safety device? I don't think so.:confused2:

Jacobs Vehicle Systems - Frequently Asked Questions

/ FMCSA interpretation of GCWR #57  
There is no need for removing the mufflers. I tell drivers it's bad enough to have to drive a big scary truck to make up for you "shortcomings", but adding an ape hanger shifter and removing the baffles is an advertisement not wanted if you're trying to get a date.:D

Other than excessive noise tickets in municipalities, the only exhaust tickets I've seen here in Maine is for faulty, leaky, systems. They get right on that.

No answer on the exhaust, but you still haven't convinced me, in large part, it's not about money. States vary in enforcement levels too. NY,CT and ME are brutal. We have an officer up here that is worse than that. I always want to tell him I'm not the driver that is sleeping with his wife, because that's the amount of respect he gives us.

It's an engine brake, btw. I've turned a couple towns in to this link just for fun. Build your house on a large hill or major thruway and then tell me not to use a federally passed safety device? I don't think so.:confused2:

Jacobs Vehicle Systems - Frequently Asked Questions

Agreed. I've seen the politics of commercial vehicle enforcement first hand and nobody will convince me that it's not about the money. When a municipality has triple the number of homicides in a year than it had the previous year and the chief of police wants to allocate some of the traffic officers to other details related to violent crime reduction for limited amounts of time and is told he can't because it will cost too much that is all the proof I'll ever need. The same goes for federal grants that were used to purchase commercial vehicle enforcement vehicles and equipment which state that the equipment cannot be used for any other purpose and the number of citations generated by use of the equipment must be tracked and reported. Again, we're not talking about the guy rolling down the road with a dump truck full of crushed stone with no cover over it, or the guy who has his equipment on the trailer with nothing more than a couple of ratchet straps when much stronger tie down methods are called for. I'm talking about the tickets for haz mat placards being 3" off center from where they're supposed to be and things of that nature.

I also agree about people who find a piece of property priced very well, but near a major highway. The highway was there first but they complain about the noise of the trucks and traffic, even though they got their land for a good deal. The highway was there first and they knew what they were getting into when they bought the property, too bad for them if they don't like the noise.

/ FMCSA interpretation of GCWR #58  
My brother drove commercial in NC for a few years before moving back here to NY. NC enforcement is according to him nothing. You could tow 50000 lbs with an F-150 and unless you got in an accident they wouldn't do much. Here in NY it has gone from a safety issue to all about the money. Now they set up road blocks and are just looking for anything. These can be for big rigs all the way down to guys with pick up trucks. The great part is when they write a new law in legalese and no one can understand it.

The newest thing I have heard they are going after is the troopers are cracking down on window tint, and licence plate obstructions. By obstructions this can be a bracket that a dealer put on your car, the ball hitch on your bumper, and a bike rack. Basically if any part of the plate can not be seen from any angle, you can get a ticket. This has lead to rumors about getting a ticket for leaving the drawbar in your reciever. Due to the states budget mess they have cut the budget of the troopers, and they need to generate more cash.

/ FMCSA interpretation of GCWR #59  
I also agree about people who find a piece of property priced very well, but near a major highway. The highway was there first but they complain about the noise of the trucks and traffic, even though they got their land for a good deal. The highway was there first and they knew what they were getting into when they bought the property, too bad for them if they don't like the noise.

I like that. I get complaints from folks around the airport when I take off at 6 am and return at 9 pm. Makes me laugh. They knew the airport was there when they built that house. The airport is over 70 years old. What do they think the airport is there for and why would a company spend millions of dollars on a corporate jet if they can not use it. We fly 3-4 days a week and may are long days that start before day light and do not end till early evening.

Chris

/ FMCSA interpretation of GCWR #60  
I like that. I get complaints from folks around the airport when I take off at 6 am and return at 9 pm. Makes me laugh. They knew the airport was there when they built that house. The airport is over 70 years old. What do they think the airport is there for and why would a company spend millions of dollars on a corporate jet if they can not use it. We fly 3-4 days a week and may are long days that start before day light and do not end till early evening.

Chris

Bangor International Airport has the problem also. Has been a military base since 1941 and newcomers don't like the noise. Then there's those who complain about the Waterville Railroad Yard. Been there since 1849 and now many think the noise and smells are unbearable. Duh....

Thankfully my neighbors haven't said a word about dirtbikes, air cannons, Tannerite, and the "new" Mosin-Nagant(not my video) I just brought home. Of course, I be as respectable as possible with times and occasion. :D