Tires Foam for the front tires?

/ Foam for the front tires? #1  

EdC

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2320
Can anybody offer any advice on the benefits and drawbacks of filling my front tires with foam. Couldn't find anything using the search function. A good percentage of my tractor use is loader work and I do no mowing with this tractor. I am also planning on getting some tire chains so I have better control plowing snow. Thanks in advance.

/ Foam for the front tires? #2  
all I am about to say will be based on 10 year old foam...perhaps there is a new and better product out there now.

advantages:
You will NOT have a flat.... If you run over a piece of angle iron and stick it in the tire, you stop, get the torch, cut the iron and go about your way. it is great for severe applicatations.

disavantages;
its heavy, real heavy
when you wear the tire compleatly out, you remove the tire and wheel, and go buy more tires and wheels.
You will break spindles, shake the guages out, and loosen every nut, bolt and screw on the machine, and rattle the teeth out of your head... there is no give to a foam filled tire...

more advantages;
You will NOT have a flat...ever

/ Foam for the front tires? #3  
Where do you get tires filled with foam? Tractor shop? Tire shop? DIY?:eek:

/ Foam for the front tires?
Virgil

Thanks for the info. You raised some really good points I had not thought about. Definitely need to do more research.

Barney
The local tire store service tractor tires and will install foam. The one closest to me is a Les Swab(Sp) Tire Store. Mainly in the Northwest but I am sure whoever works on tractor tires in your area will install foam as well. After Virgil's points I will really have to see if there ares still the same drawbacks to the foam. If so I'll probably pass.

/ Foam for the front tires? #6  
Just do it.

It also takes the bounce out of the front end from the front end loader.

It's worth every penny, but it's not cheap.

/ Foam for the front tires? #7  
I had the dealer get the tires on a Kubota L3710 filled with foam when I bought the tractor. I haven't had any problems in seven years and 500+ hours. I did notice that when maneuvering in close quarters turning the front wheels will move the front end slightly in the opposite direction from which the tires are pointing. It makes loader work a bit more challenging.

Ag tires are obviously rough on grass, with the foam it will be worse plus you'll loose some traction because the tires don't flex. If I had to do it again with what I know now I'd do it again.

/ Foam for the front tires? #8  
I use my tractor for FEL work, and was amazed at the number of sharp things I was "finding" with my front tires. I had two flats within a short time of purchasing my tractor and decided enough was enough.

I had the front tires foam filled and no longer worry about front flats. I think the rear tires are a little more immune to flats because they are thicker, plus are more out of harms way. So, I didn't fill those. Plus, filling rears is really expensive! Filling the fronts on my TC33DA cost me about $200.

Another advantage of the foam filled tires is the extra stability provided by the low center of gravity weight. I have lots a hills, and my bucket and rear implement certainly contribute the most to the stability, but it's nice to know that there's a little extra insurance provided by the heavier tires.

I have not noticed any significant change in the ride comfort.

I also like the fact that my front tires no longer squat when lifting a heavy load with the FEL.

/ Foam for the front tires? #9  
Darren said:
I did notice that when maneuvering in close quarters turning the front wheels will move the front end slightly in the opposite direction from which the tires are pointing. It makes loader work a bit more challenging.

How does foam filling the tires cause that? My tractor does that as well. but it is due to the Supersteer feature. It did it before I filled the tires as well as after.

/ Foam for the front tires? #10  
There are different densities of foam fill. There is a foam available that is nowhere as near so hard. It is less dense so it is lighter, it does flex a bit, it won't go flat (just like the heavy stuff) and it will last until the tire is just completely worn away.

Check with large professional shops who do foam fill for ag and industrial tires. A professionalism test is whether or not they are aware of the availability of different density foams for tire filling.

Pat