Tires Foam for the front tires?

/ Foam for the front tires? #11  
I have a lot of osage and multi flora rose on the farm. Within the first couple of months I had flats on both front tires. Although it is relatively easy to lift the front of the tractor with the FEL and remove the flat tire, it got to be a real pain and also costly.

After doing some research, I had a local tire shop fill them with foam. It weighs almost 100 pounds per tire and cost me about $1 per pound.

I now have 500 hours on the tractor and have not had a problem with the tires. And for sure no flats.

BTW - if I get a real novice visiting the farm, I give them a tire gauge and ask them to check to be sure I have 35 pounds in the front tires. You might as well have a sense of humor.

/ Foam for the front tires? #12  
Wesdor said:
I have a lot of osage and multi flora rose on the farm. Within the first couple of months I had flats on both front tires. Although it is relatively easy to lift the front of the tractor with the FEL and remove the flat tire, it got to be a real pain and also costly.

After doing some research, I had a local tire shop fill them with foam. It weighs almost 100 pounds per tire and cost me about $1 per pound.

I now have 500 hours on the tractor and have not had a problem with the tires. And for sure no flats.

BTW - if I get a real novice visiting the farm, I give them a tire gauge and ask them to check to be sure I have 35 pounds in the front tires. You might as well have a sense of humor.

I too have rosa multiflora and bois d'arc plus some very thorny locust. I had a problem with slow leaks from thorn punctures in the front tires and put slime in the tires. Here we are well over 5 years later, still running over thorns but go for years at a time with out adding air.

I'm not knocking foam fill, it works and will keep you going just fine even if you get some really nasty gouges and holes you can stick your finger in. For thorn punctures, Slime or similar will do as good a job for way less $.

Pat

/ Foam for the front tires? #13  
patrick_g said:
I'm not knocking foam fill, it works and will keep you going just fine even if you get some really nasty gouges and holes you can stick your finger in. For thorn punctures, Slime or similar will do as good a job for way less $.

Pat
Pat,
Does Slime make a real mess when a tire does have to be changed?
Thanks

/ Foam for the front tires? #14  
Barneyhunts said:
Pat,
Does Slime make a real mess when a tire does have to be changed?
Thanks

I will have to let someone else provide a definitive answer to that question as I have never had that experience.

You aren't "filling" the tires with it, just a few oz. Most of it should be on or in the tire. I suppose when laying the tire horizontal on the "tire machine" some might get on the rim if you really had a lot of it in the tire but it could be just wiped off with a rag.

I have never needed a repair on a tire with Slime in it. When worn out, the tire shop removes and replaces the tires and has never commented or complained about the slime. Some of our local shops put it in on request from their gal jugs with pumps when installing new tires.

We are predominately an agricultural area so shops cater to our needs and slime or similar is not unusual to them.

I run slime in tractor tires (I don't do liquid fill) and in My 4x4 Dakota. In theory, my 4x4 2008 F-250 is the replacement for the Dakota (when I get around to dumping the Dakota) so I suppose I will be putting Slime in those 18 inch tires because I do have thorns aplenty.

Pat

/ Foam for the front tires? #15  
I had just checked on a couple of front tires for my tractor yesterday. $550 for tubed tires. Those were Goodyear or something like that. Then the guy at Les Schwab said he can get Titans for about $60 less for the pair. I was asking him about Calcium Chloride. That is $2.75 a gallon. Then he mentioned foam. It is $1 a pound. So as someone else mentioned it would be about $200 to fill them. I asked him can you replace those tires off the rim then after they wear out? He said they just re-cap them at about 1/4 of the cost of a new tire. He showed me where one guy had re-capped his tires 4 times. Now these were large tires. So the guy has saved the cost of new tires a few times by having them filled with foam. That seems to be a good cost savings to me. Although those tires were on a commercial piece of equipment where if you have laborers standing around while you fix a flat it cost big $$$$

/ Foam for the front tires? #16  
Treemonkey1000 said:
I had just checked on a couple of front tires for my tractor yesterday. $550 for tubed tires. Those were Goodyear or something like that. Then the guy at Les Schwab said he can get Titans for about $60 less for the pair. I was asking him about Calcium Chloride. That is $2.75 a gallon. Then he mentioned foam. It is $1 a pound. So as someone else mentioned it would be about $200 to fill them. I asked him can you replace those tires off the rim then after they wear out? He said they just re-cap them at about 1/4 of the cost of a new tire. He showed me where one guy had re-capped his tires 4 times. Now these were large tires. So the guy has saved the cost of new tires a few times by having them filled with foam. That seems to be a good cost savings to me. Although those tires were on a commercial piece of equipment where if you have laborers standing around while you fix a flat it cost big $$$$

There is also an age thing to the carcass. My Michelin 19.5 inch truck tires are regroovable but that is not my plan. By the time I wear the tread off they are getting way too old to consider recap or regroove. In a situatioin where tractor or equipment tires get the tread worn off quickly the carcass is still not so old and recapping, even multiple times is practical. In that situation, foam is a definite bargain.

Some of my tires get old and essentially rot off while they still have good tread. IN a case like that I'm not sure foam is a bargain. Foam is a good thing and is the economical choice in some situations. The equipment mowing the roadsides here is an example of a good foam application. Without foam the broken bottles put you down for tire change too often.

Again, I'm not anti-foam. If it were cheap, I'd have it in my tractor tires front and rear.

Pat

/ Foam for the front tires? #17  
Good point Patrick. That is why I mentioned it was on a commercial piece of equipment. That outfit is running those tires practically every day. Sun damage which doesn't happen here in Washington to much. Or just plain old wear and tear can make the sidewalls not good candidates. Fixing a flat out in the woods could be a pain in the rear. That is where a lot of my use would be. Someone using their tractor where getting the tire off and repaired easily might have another way of viewing the cost effectiveness.

/ Foam for the front tires? #18  
Treemonkey1000 said:
Good point Patrick. That is why I mentioned it was on a commercial piece of equipment. That outfit is running those tires practically every day. Sun damage which doesn't happen here in Washington to much. Or just plain old wear and tear can make the sidewalls not good candidates. Fixing a flat out in the woods could be a pain in the rear. That is where a lot of my use would be. Someone using their tractor where getting the tire off and repaired easily might have another way of viewing the cost effectiveness.

I can get one of my front tractor tires repaired (I take in) for less than $10 (typically $5 at a shop less than 2 miles away) but don't have to any more due to Slime. Rear tires (I take in) are $50 to repair a flat. Done this twice. I don't cut brush close now. I cut it 8-12 inches so I can safely drive over it. Some dies and rots some resprouts and gets cut the next year. The dead stuff that rotted some at ground level gets knocked off by the slightest blade contact of brush hog.

If I had not learned to cut the brush so the little stumps (punji sticks) were long enough to bend over when driving on them I would have foamed my rear tires because $50 per flat and the hassle of having to use a winch to pull a wheel up the trailer ramp along with the jacking and everything is a hassle (and walking home to get the truck and trailer.) No more rear tire punctures since I quit making short stiff punji sticks out of brush. It was a self inflicted problem, curable with a simple lift of the 3PH and a slight attitude adjustment and the patience to wait a year to finish the job.

Again, if the circumstances had been different, I was prepared to fill the rear tires with foam.

Pat

/ Foam for the front tires?
I had not thought about recapping and at Les Schwab to. There is one just about 12 miles down the road. Certainly puts a new light on the foam idea. Weight for me would also be an advantage. My tractor is not used for finish mowing at all and when blading snow this winter the tractor was sliding around quite a bit. So tire chains and foam, looks like I have to put off the rotary cutter for a year.:D

/ Foam for the front tires? #20  
Give them a call to see if they can give you a price break down on re-caps and the cost of the foam.. It makes sense to me as I would need the weight to counter the logs I am skidding out. Just the hassle of a flat tire out in the woods would be a big factor for me to get a 150lb tire out to the truck that might be a mile away.
Jim