Foam in hydraulic fluid.

/ Foam in hydraulic fluid. #1  

onetexan

Tractor
Bolens G152
I HAVE FOAM IN MY HYDRAULIC FLUID. I PUT 80-90 IN IT. THE THREE POINT HITCH DOESEN'T START GOING UP TILL THE HANDLE IS PULLED ALMOST TO THE TOP. THE TRACTOR IS A BOLENS ISEKI. THE TRANS AND HYDRAULIC FLUID IS THE SAME.

Attachments

• tractor copy.png
    tractor copy.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 174
   / Foam in hydraulic fluid. #2  
I HAVE FOAM IN MY HYDRAULIC FLUID. I PUT 80-90 IN IT. THE THREE POINT HITCH DOESEN'T START GOING UP TILL THE HANDLE IS PULLED ALMOST TO THE TOP. THE TRACTOR IS A BOLENS ISEKI. THE TRANS AND HYDRAULIC FLUID IS THE SAME.
Typically cause of foamy oil is a leak on the suction side of the hydraulic pump letting air enter the pump.

Look for a piece of rubber hose on the suction line. Often used to join two pipes together. It will leak air in but you wont see fluid leaking out.

Dave M7040

/ Foam in hydraulic fluid. #3  
Is 80-90 called out for hydro fluid? Many machines that don't spec ISO 46 hydro spec 15w40 diesel engine oil. I can imagine something too heavy cavitating when cold.

/ Foam in hydraulic fluid. #4  
80W-90 is pretty common in cars for transmission fluid for a stick shift or for a rear differential. I think you should check the manual to determine the proper transmission - hydraulic fluid for your tractor. They frequently use a general purpose fluid for systems with a shared reservoir.

/ Foam in hydraulic fluid.
I created this post . My manual says to use 80W gear oil. It operates the trans and hydraulic pto . I have a 1982 to 1990 Bolens tractor. I plan to clean the suction strainer or filter. I have to find out if I need a new one or if I can just clean the one I have.

/ Foam in hydraulic fluid. #6  
Hydraulic fluid is in the range of 15-20 Wt for pumpability reasons. Additives allow it to have a high pressure retention capability. On tractors using 85 to 140 mineral oil in the differential, they have a separate compartment for the tranny which can use it and one for the hydraulics which use HYDRAULIC FLUID, OR TRANS-HYDRAULIC-DIFFERENTIAL FLUID (THD oil), all being in the viscosity range I stated if you have a newer tractor with a common sump feeding all 3 functions. You mentioned that your hydraulics don't want to work and produce foam....... put the proper oil in the hydraulics and life will get better for you!

/ Foam in hydraulic fluid. #7  
In the O/M for my 1502 and 1704, it calls for a high quality low viscosity gear - hydraulic oil such as Bolens 1738157 or equivalent. I've been using an ISO-46 oil for 10+ years with no problems! 80-90 is a gear oil for front axle on 4wd not the hydraulic system of a small tractor!

/ Foam in hydraulic fluid. #8  
I was thinking ISO 68 might be ok but not sure. What I am sure of is that I'd want to warm up the hydro a lot esp in cold weather. When 'plowing' snow this Winter at 15 F it dawned on me to cover the hydro oil cooler. I like to see snow melting on the loader cyls to be sure my juice is warmed up enough.

Even 80w will flow like half & half when it's up to temp. 15w-40 will flow like milk at 180 F. This one is curious, and I wonder if a filter substitution could inhibit cold flow, esp if 80w is called out by the maker. I'd be particular about that item & it's specs. WIMI I wonder what micron a 'factory' would be rated at.

/ Foam in hydraulic fluid.
In the O/M for my 1502 and 1704, it calls for a high quality low viscosity gear - hydraulic oil such as Bolens 1738157 or equivalent. I've been using an ISO-46 oil for 10+ years with no problems! 80-90 is a gear oil for front axle on 4wd not the hydraulic system of a small tractor!
Where can I buy Bolens 1738157 oil? I don't think I could use engine oil in it. The oil or goes in the trans and it operates the hydraulic pto shaft for the rotto tiller. Thanks

/ Foam in hydraulic fluid. #10  
That's the reference for a current oil. Same as Mobil 423 oil. And yes that's been discontinued also. Your local NAPA or Tractor Supply can get you what you need. At Tractor Supply you can use Travellers Premium Tractor Hydraulic fluid and be fine. Have used that in mine and have over a 1000 hrs on 1 and 500 hrs on other with that oil.