Ford 10 series 3 cylinder engine question

/ Ford 10 series 3 cylinder engine question
Ok thanks and didn’t know that. I always assumed if one injector didn’t bleed all the air out that it eventually would as long as tractor was running. Going to redo mine now. But honesty seems like power should feel way off. Will try anyways though.

/ Ford 10 series 3 cylinder engine question #12  
Ok thanks and didn’t know that. I always assumed if one injector didn’t bleed all the air out that it eventually would as long as tractor was running. Going to redo mine now. But honesty seems like power should feel way off. Will try anyways though.

More often than not they do. His pump may be getting weak.

Ok just tried it on mine and couldn’t tell a difference. Actually when I cracked each injector individually tractor struggled even to stay running. Each acted exactly the same too very rough running etc. Like I say the problem I see with vibration is not bad at all just something I notice on some of my Fords. May pull one of the pumps off this fall and go through it to see what happens.

Last edited:
   / Ford 10 series 3 cylinder engine question #14  
That SB is 30 years old.. so if this hasn't been an issue since it was "new".. its something that just doesn't happen all of a sudden.
have you guys tried or looked at the timing??
There is a timing line on the corner of the pump & degree marks on the engine block..
They're prob. painted over 20 times but they're there..
On a Ford, the timing line on the pump should line up w/ "0" on the degree marks..OR VERY CLOSE to it..
Have a look.. it might be all you need.. Loosen the 3 nuts & turn the pump..

/ Ford 10 series 3 cylinder engine question #15  
It’s not uncommon to have to advance timing a little from spec to accommodate timing gear backlash on high hour engines. This may not apply to these low hour tractors.

We did adjust the timing on the 4600SU but ended up going back to dead on or very close to “0”. Drove my other 3910 today and the 2810. They definitely don’t have the vibration around the 1500 rpm range. Just had to check to confirm. Was planting some sunflower seeds while tested the 3910. IMG_5540.JPG

/ Ford 10 series 3 cylinder engine question #17  
He is pretty much saying he did not know it was running on two cylinders. If there is enough air in a particular injector line it may not purge because air compresses (unlike fuel) and the pump will not build enough pressure.

Actually there wasn't enough air to kill the cylinder.....that was the puzzler; just enough to make for a little instability in the rpm. I was running on 2+ most, but not all of #3. I never had that happen before as if I lost it I lost all, or most of it, but I wasn't there when they ran it out of diesel and didn't know what they did to get it running. At least they didn't tear up anything.

I know this thread goes back a bit but I heard something interesting this week from a gentlemen that has rebuilt several Ford 3 cylinder 201’s and 192’s. In his experience it has something to do with a resonance caused by the engine casting itself but once he rebuilds them it always goes away. He’s not sure why this is but has noticed this occurrence on several occasions. He always sleeves the bores (vs over-boring) so not sure if the rebuild itself corrects the issue or possibly the sleeve itself improves the issue. My 4600SU is down 7hp so for kicks I may have a friend of mine help me rebuild it just to see. Would be a interesting experiment plus get my old girl back to spec.

Has anyone sleeved one of these motors then noticed this change?

/ Ford 10 series 3 cylinder engine question #19  
I haven't but no doubt in sleeving you removed some of the inherent bracing of the block which will change the resonance at some frequency. That's one of the thing Ford mentions about their cast 3 cylinders vs sleeved predecessors, along with a long block to assist in reducing harmonics.

We used to run vibration tests on equipment at work to check for resonances at certain frequencies. The fixtures were massive and the idea was to ensure that the fixture didn't have a resonance that was thought to be in the equipment.

Computer aided circuit design has some software that takes a set of inputs on equipment parameters and walks you through the vibration spectrum vs frequency. You can sit there and watch the object respond or not. Really interesting.....and helps to make the design work correctly the first time. Doubt Ford had such back when that basic block design came off the drawing board back in early 1960's.

I find it interesting that there is no harmonic balancer as part of the crank shaft front pulley as my 192 has it's sweet spots as you go up in RPMs. Maybe Ford figured this is a farm tractor, not a luxury sedan....it needs to run and sound like one. Grin!

/ Ford 10 series 3 cylinder engine question #20  
And now my Q ....10 series engine is a Perkins engine and not a Ford engine ?