Ford 1110 Won't start after oil & hydraulic change

/ Ford 1110 Won't start after oil & hydraulic change #1  

jsuda

Tractor
Ford 1110
I need help on possible things to look at on a Ford 1110 that was running before an oil and hydraulic change but now will not start.

Here is a little backstory and details: I just bought a 1985 Ford 1110 with the HST with 1083 hrs on it. It was running and decent but not great starting in the cold. The previous owner was not doing much of the required maintenance the last year he had it, but it wasn't the worst I had seen. I just got it home and fixed the major issue of the return fuel line from the injectors being broken (so diesel was dribbling on the engine). I ran it for about two hrs scoping snow, then drove it into the garage to do a much-needed oil change and hydraulic fluid change. I replaced the oil filter and cartridge hydraulic filter (there are two paper filters as well, but I didn't do these at the time). I started the tractor and started right up. I backed it out of the garage door and operated the loader several times. I then got off the tractor to let it run for a bit to get up to operating temp. when I was walking away, it died as if the engine speed lever was pulled to the off position.

After that, I tried restarting it, and nothing. I assumed I ran out of fuel but called it for the night as I was planning to do the fuel filter and replace a fuel hose tomorrow anyway. the next day I drained the fuel tank, replaced the fuel filter, and replaced a deteriorated fuel line. I filled the tank up to full, then bled the fuel lines at the pump and the injectors....and nothing. I then tried jumping the battery with my truck in case it was low and the start wasn't spinning at full speed (it made no difference). Next, I removed the engine speed adjustment screw in case that was the issue(I put it back where it was when that didnt work). Lastly, the glow plugs were replaced before I did the oil change and it operated for about two hours with the new glow plugs. I have ensured the oil and hydraulic are not overfilled.

So far, nothing has resolved the issue, and I'm unsure what to try next. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Here is a video of it trying to start. New video by Jeffrey Suda

/ Ford 1110 Won't start after oil & hydraulic change #2  
So in the video, it starts, just won't stay running. Is that what it does everything, smoke and all?
F
When you changed the glow plugs and heated them, did the glow plug indicator on the dash glow orange?
If it doesn't glow, it is faulty and needs to be replaced as it is in series with the glow plugs.

/ Ford 1110 Won't start after oil & hydraulic change
So in the video, it starts, just won't stay running. Is that what it does everything, smoke and all?
F
When you changed the glow plugs and heated them, did the glow plug indicator on the dash glow orange?
If it doesn't glow, it is faulty and needs to be replaced as it is in series with the glow plugs.
when it did start it did smoke on the first start-up when it was cold.

for the glow plugs the indicator does glow orange but I was planning on pulling them and testing the resistance to make sure they are in spec.

/ Ford 1110 Won't start after oil & hydraulic change #4  
You can detach the bar across the glow plugs and test them without removing. 1 hlowug not working, cold temperatures and that engine has a hard time starting. Very cold blooded

You can detach the bar across the glow plugs and test them without removing. 1 hlowug not working, cold temperatures and that engine has a hard time starting. Very cold blooded
Thanks! I'll do that today. I have a kats lower radiator hose I'm picking up today as well to try and warm everything and try to start it. (I'll let you know if that fixes it)

If that doesn't work Im going to try and get the loader off the ground so I can push it back into the garage. That's much warmer then outside in the mtns of Colorado

/ Ford 1110 Won't start after oil & hydraulic change #6  
Any update on your issue? My SIL's Kubota seems to have a similar personality.

Last edited:
Any update on your issue? My SIL's [AFFILIATE='1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"']Kubota[/AFFILIATE] seems to have a similar personality.
As of right now, I'm not 100% sure of the problem, But signs point toward the fuel injectors.
As I was installing the block heater, the plug for the radiator snapped, so I took that as a sign I should replace all the radiator hoses from 1985. They were back-ordered and I was looking at two wk wait, so I took the injectors to be rebuilt (something i have been needing to do but didn't want the downtime)

The people at the injector place (Diesel forward) tested the injectors, and they were firing at a way lower pressure and most spaying fuel vs. atomizing it. They were impressed it was running at all with how bad they were.

Hopefully, ill get everything in re-installed in a wk or two and see if this solves my issues.

/ Ford 1110 Won't start after oil & hydraulic change #8  
Sounds like air in the fuel lines. Try cracking the bleeders and turning it over and look for air bubbles. Do it till it stops bubbling and tighten bleeders back up and try it again. A diesel will never run with air in the lines.