Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why?

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #11  
i re-read the ops message.. and it almost sounds liek the stem is too large?

That filter head is correct and looks original to the tractor. I doubt after 30 years the stem swelled up to the point that a filter wouldn't fit over it. And like I said, there are no (other) reports of quality control or fitment issues with the New Holland filter either from New Holland or my customer base. That leaves us with the stem o-ring swollen or hard, or complete operator failure which I am not necessarily suggesting. A modest percentage of boidiesel will make o-rings swell up like mad, but usually softens them as well.

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #12  
would be great to hear back from the op on this.

if it simply is that oring , that would be an ez fix.

as for the biodiesel.. I agree.. I'd think it would soften it and melt it.

when bio blend hit here, I had to run thru lots of the components on my 7610s.. it developed leaks in the fuel system in about 4 places.. orings just turned to black goo..

I went back with buena nitrile rings and havn't had an issue since.

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why?
would be great to hear back from the op on this.

if it simply is that oring , that would be an ez fix.

as for the biodiesel.. I agree.. I'd think it would soften it and melt it.

when bio blend hit here, I had to run thru lots of the components on my 7610s.. it developed leaks in the fuel system in about 4 places.. orings just turned to black goo..

I went back with buena nitrile rings and havn't had an issue since.

Wow, I figured no one would comment and you guys have been great. The nearest Tractor Supply is 800 miles. I will try NAPA if that's a possibility. No biodiesel in this situation. I have nothing leaking at all.

The Baldwin that doesn't fit is the PF7545 which is supposedly for the Ford 1700 as well.

This may sound foolish, but I'm not sure what O-ring you reference, unless it's for sealling the the cup itself and not filter. I regret not taking a photo looking at the bottom of the fitler holder, but still can if helpful.

I'm measuring directly on the filter holder itself and stating the diameter of the tube that projects down and which the hole in the filter must go over. If there is an O-ring at the upper end of this tube that the filter seals against when the cup is screwed in, it's not part of the problem. If I'm missing the point, please elaborate. None of my filters have come with any O-ring nor did I realize I should be asking for one at the dealer.

I'm crushing the filter itself and simply stating that so you know I'm applying enough force that if it fit, it would go on.

This just doesn't add up and appreciate you guys taking a shot at it. I see my options as:

1. Attempting to mildly modify the hole in each filter element to gain the extra 50/1000. I would only do that if the O-ring you guys reference somehow seals the upper surface, otherwise this risks leaks past the filter.

2. Buying the Ford replacement at $71 given I now have about 8 filters that will supposedly fit.

3. Get one of the Golden Rod replacement filters which looks like a much better setup, but also looks massive to try and mount somewhere.

Please explain the O-ring issue. I really appreciate the comments, Dean

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #14  
ok.. so it is an issue that the stem will not physically fit into the hole in the filter? that's a different issue.. the issue most of the guys are kicking around is an oring at the top of the stem..

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why?
ok.. so it is an issue that the stem will not physically fit into the hole in the filter? that's a different issue.. the issue most of the guys are kicking around is an oring at the top of the stem..

Yes, that's correct and I thought I was explicit with 'but when I measure the tube that the filter must fit over'.

I need to go pull it back off and see if there is the O-ring in place as you reference.

If it's gone, I'll install a new one and see if I can slightly modify the filter element hole enough to go on, yet still seal with the O-ring. I will still go to NAPA if it's a possibility as I don't like taking chances on clogged injectors.

Again, this just doesn't add up. Thanks for your time, Dean

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #16  
Dean,

Although not very desirable, you can always put a in line plastic throw away fuel filter like I have seen on several 1700. You will not be able to tap moisture (water) in the bottom of the bowl. I suspect the o-ring that seal top of the fuel filter to seal flow of clean fuel might be swollen some causing the crush of the filter.

JC,

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #17  
Any chance there's a second o-ring stuck on the spud that the filter fits over, so's there's not enough room for the filter when you tighten the housing? I think I'd try to find something steel and tapered that starts into that hole in the filter and tilt-wobble it around, if all you need is .05". At least then you'll know that's not the problem...
Jim

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #18  
If there is an O-ring at the upper end of this tube that the filter seals against when the cup is screwed in, it's not part of the problem. If I'm missing the point, please elaborate. None of my filters have come with any O-ring nor did I realize I should be asking for one at the dealer.

If it is like the fuel filter on my TC18, there are two O-rings. A large one for the seal of the bowl itself, and a smaller one that seals the hole in the top of the filter to the tube you are trying to slip the filter on to. You have to kind of stand on your head to see the O-ring on the tube if the assembly is on the tractor and especillay if you have a loader mounted.

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #19  
guys.. i think he's REALLY saying the stem won't go intot he hole on the top of the filter. IE. the stem is a larger OD than the ID of the hole inthe filter.

the crush is not happening when it is 'seating or putting glas on.. but when he is trying to start / force it onto the stem.

2 different issues here.

either the stem is oversized, or the hole is undersized.. or something is on the stem making it oversized.. like some sort of varnish.. or remnants of an old oring.. or something..

again.. unless i'm missreading.. etc...

soundguy

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #20  
I think what the OP can do is to turn the fuel valve off, get on his knees, remove the bowl, , take a filter off and have a look at where and how the filter mates to discharge side of the filter housing. I don't remember that the O-ring fell as I pulled the filter. I remember there was a round groove of some sort where the o-ring fitted snugly and the od of filter matched the id of the hole with the o-ring sandwiched in between. The big bowl o-ring was still in a groove and did not fall. I was able to turn the bowl all the way without crushing or feeling early interference till the last turn or so.

JC,