Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why?

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #21  
i wonder if a piece of the old filter coulda stayed on the stem somehow?

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #22  
Soundguy, looking at the older filter in those pictures, you might be exactly right if that's the one that came off when the other wouldn't go on.. looks like the bottom part of the flange might still be on the tube, nipple or whatever it's called..

Is it possible that the remains of an entire metal cap is up there?? Or did the old filter have a plastic cap?? Looks like it might have lost its top, so to speak.. Like the metal cap pulled up and out of the hole where the plastic shows a higher level, and the entire little metal piece is still up under there? In that case, the o ring might not be visible at all.. The .05 is the thickness of the old metal cap which is still up there.. no?

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #23  
i can't see enough on this lil netbook screen to tell.

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #24  
Soundguy, looking at the older filter in those pictures, you might be exactly right if that's the one that came off when the other wouldn't go on.. looks like the bottom part of the flange might still be on the tube, nipple or whatever it's called..

Is it possible that the remains of an entire metal cap is up there?? Or did the old filter have a plastic cap?? Looks like it might have lost its top, so to speak.. Like the metal cap pulled up and out of the hole where the plastic shows a higher level, and the entire little metal piece is still up under there? In that case, the o ring might not be visible at all.. The .05 is the thickness of the old metal cap which is still up there.. no?

Sure makes everything add up.

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why?

When I get back from out of town, I will pull it off and send in a picture. I did a quick look with a mirror and it looked just like a tube projecting down, no old filter left in place. But I have no alternatives and will post a photo. Thanks for the suggestion, Dean

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #26  
any corrosion / deposits onthe tube? look it over good. 50/500 ain't much ..

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #27  
When I changed mine out, the filter was lodged (very tightly) in the bottom of the bowl. Had a heck of a time getting it out.

Maybe the last person that changed it out removed one of the metal end caps to make it fit?

any corrosion / deposits onthe tube? look it over good. 50/500 ain't much ..

Agreed 50/1000 ain't much but it's enough that the metal filter cap will not go on with the force you can apply to the paper element. Like I said, I'll pull it next week and attach a photo and check for the referenced o-ring. I hope I have overlooked something that is still lodge on the filter holder/tube as suggested here. Strange though that the one in the photo measures using dial calipers with a diameter 50/1000 greater than all the rest Fram, Baldwin, Ford. It is plastic and perhaps it had some sort of insert that came off and remained in the filter housing. I hope that is the case.

I'll have to search the forum and see if someone has done a slick conversion to aftermarket filters as they seem much larger and appear available in 2 micron. Not sure what the stock filtering is. Thanks, Dean

/ Ford 1700 Can't find correct fuel filter-why? #29  
post back when you get the pics.

lastly as a parting shot.

since the filter you removed seems to have an OS ID of 50/1000 and is plastic not metal.. almost makes me thing some farmengineering has been done.. or the afore mentioned "piece still on the stem" issue...

post back!

Well, the resident village idiot comes hat in hand, and bows to your collective wisdom. It was indeed just as you called it- the old cap still attached. When I first looked, I was looking from the top and I had a dentist mirror and flashlight so was up close. This looked like something that the filter would fit into. If I'd got my sorry a*s on the ground I wouldn't have wasted all of your time. Now to get a new o-ring. Thanks for the guidance- Dean

kdomkw.jpg