Ford 1700 hydraulic oil filter and dip stick

/ Ford 1700 hydraulic oil filter and dip stick #1  

ajheber

Tractor
Ford 1700
Hi Everyone, I recently purchased my first tractor, a Ford 1700 with about 2100 hours. The engine oil looked very dirty so I decided to go through and do all the maintenance items assuming the tractor has been a bit neglected. The first thing I did was purchase a manual which has been invaluable. However, I did notice that part numbers were mostly left out of it, especially when it comes to filters. I am ready to change my hydraulic oil but when I removed the fill cap that is also supposed to have the dip stick, the dip stick was missing. I have searched everywhere online but can't seem to find a replacement dip stick that I can purchase. Does anyone know where I can purchase one or at least know the level the oil should be at below the cap? At this point my only option is to add the amount of oil that the book indicates it takes. The other issue is that the manual indicates that the hydraulic filter should be changed out every 600 though it can be cleaned every 300 hours. Again, they do not have a part number in the manual. Does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement filter with a part number? Thank you for your help. This forum has already been invaluable to me after my high speed gear got stuck in high speed. The posts from JC-Jetro saved me big time by making the issue a 2 minute fix. I hope to be able to help contribute more in the future as I get to know my tractor better.

/ Ford 1700 hydraulic oil filter and dip stick #2  
My first tractor - Ford 1700 4WD. Bought it new in 1982. Can't help with the dipstick. However - check in at your local NAPA store. They should be able to provide filters. Take the old filter in with you.

BTW - welcome to TBN and the forum.

/ Ford 1700 hydraulic oil filter and dip stick
My first tractor - Ford 1700 4WD. Bought it new in 1982. Can't help with the dipstick. However - check in at your local NAPA store. They should be able to provide filters. Take the old filter in with you.

BTW - welcome to TBN and the forum.
Thanks oosik, I will stop by Napa and see what they can do. The tractor came with a Napa oil filter on it so it sounds like the previous owner shopped there for his parts as well. My tractor is also four wheel drive. That feature has already come in handy.

/ Ford 1700 hydraulic oil filter and dip stick #4  
On my Ford 3910 there's a dipstick for the engine oil and the transmission oil. There's no dipstick for the rear end (hydraulic oil). But there is a plug on the side of the rear housing used to check the level. If oil comes out of the loosened plug, the hydraulic oil is "full". It's filled the same way--Remove the plug and keep pouring until it comes out of the hole.

The oil change for the trans takes 3 gallons and rear takes 12 gallons of fluid. Check the specs on your tractor. It will probably be less but not much. The older tractors used "volume" for cooling.

My tractor manual showed that the fill plug is supposed to also have a dipstick in it. The gearbox and rear axle oil change process indicates that we were supposed to use that plug-in Dipstick to determine when it is full but not screw the plug in to measure. I was able to get the part number from the new Holland dealership and ordered a new one today for $134. This is the part number in case anyone else needs it (90440785). They could also sell me a replacement transmission oil filter for $234 but at that price, I’m going to just keep cleaning my current filter. The Ford 1700 transmission oil filter part number is SBA340500063.

/ Ford 1700 hydraulic oil filter and dip stick #6  
Wholly s**t - $134 for a plug/dipstick. I sure hope it's gold plated and comes with a lifetime warrantee.

Just my humble opinion( JMHO ) but it's highly possible that somebody saw you coming and offered you a sucker deal.

/ Ford 1700 hydraulic oil filter and dip stick #7  
I'm running into those gold parts myself on my 420C. It's going to need front idler shafts and perhaps the roller shafts. The shafts are $176 each and there's 12 of them. The bushings are about $35 each and there's 24 of those. Not to mention the 24 grease seals, nuts, shims and what-knots. If I can squeeze one more summer out of the ole' girl, I'll make the undercarriage a fall or winter project. I've decided to make my own shafts. I just can't see the nearly $4k in parts. I could sell it for that tomorrow as it sits but not at $8K after the work is done. :rolleyes:

/ Ford 1700 hydraulic oil filter and dip stick #8  
Heck, someone could have measured one and you could have fabricated one cheaper than that. Parts aren’t cheap, spent about $400 in parts for a valve job on my 1700.

I ended up finding one on eBay from a salvage tractor for $30. When I went to pick up the one from the dealership, it was the wrong dipstick.

/ Ford 1700 hydraulic oil filter and dip stick #10  
I have a 1981 Ford 1700 4x4 and the steel shaft of the hydraulic dipstick became separated from the cap and fell into the transmission. Poorly designed it is just pressed into the plastic cap. It resided there for some time and jostled around getting shaved nearly in half by the gears. Lucky we saw it down there!

I just received a similar quote today for about $126 to replace. Im just using the cap in place now and have fashioned my own dipstick (that I keep in the toolbox) using the old one for reference

Attachments

• BF023A44-7F62-4B8B-99D2-48230A6E539A.jpeg
    BF023A44-7F62-4B8B-99D2-48230A6E539A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 136