Ford 1700 Range Selector

/ Ford 1700 Range Selector #11  
Todd,

Could not wait. went to NH website below and downloaded the transmission diagram. It is attached here. Refer to part #26 and #27 that show the spring and detent ball for the shifter fork. You might end up taking the cover off. Compare and contrast the cover with your tractor or take a pic of it. it seems Ford 3415 and 2110 use same transmission or very close. I also have a link to NH parts website. I have used it and found it to be really good to see what's going on.

JC,

Attachments

• Transmission Ford 3415- 4 Cyl.pdf
    110.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
   / Ford 1700 Range Selector #12  
Always appreciate your advice. I won’t be able to get to her until Thursday at the earliest, but what you advised is a great place to start. Much obliged.
Todd

/ Ford 1700 Range Selector #13  
Always appreciate your advice. I won’t be able to get to her until Thursday at the earliest, but what you advised is a great place to start. Much obliged.
Todd
Ok Todd,

The geometry suggests if you loosen the bolts on the cover uniformly (without taking the cover off) you might probably lessen the spring stiffens some that might help the detent balls move up with less resistance to shifter fork front and aft movement. I would do that only after other suggestion did not work.

JC,

/ Ford 1700 Range Selector #14  
Hey JC,

Just wanted to say thank you again for your help. I’ve tinkered with it to the best of my abilities, but time has not been on my side. Whatever is going on in there (as I have not taken off the plate) is beyond my limited mechanical abilities, but I did learn a lot through your tutoring.
It’s going to the shop to let them have it. Through resources like yourself and this site, perhaps one day I’ll acquire the knowledge to comfortably pursue more in depth troubleshooting and repair, but it’s not to be yet.
Thank you-
Todd

/ Ford 1700 Range Selector #15  
Todd , you are most welcome, Knowledge is power and that is a good thing. You might know much about a disease thru your doctor and sources and completely understand the nature of it but might not be able to do an invasive operation. I know inner working of my new kubota but do not have any desire to split it and do major repair and as a result use it wisely so it would last a very long time with just minimal maintenance. That is only possible if I know my machine well and know how not to abuse it. I am very interested to see how your mechanic will fix it. Please share it here.

JC,