Ford 1700 Starting Problem

/ Ford 1700 Starting Problem #1  

Francis_K

Tractor
Tt57685768*#!
Hello. Have a Ford 1700. Not in any way, shape or form a mechanic but thanks to this forum have kept it going 15 years now.

Have a new issue which has me stumped. Unable to start tractor. It sits outside and I try to start it once a month at least. Went a little longer than usual and now it does not turn over. When ignition is turned on the two red indicator lights come on but nothing happens when I try to crank the engine. Preheat does work. Battery is charged.

Has an aftermarket bucket so I can't open the hood unless I can start engine. Which I can't. Have cleaned all the electrical connections I can access. Have checked fuses.

Have very carefully tried to start tractor with the screwdriver on the starter method. Starter runs but does not engage. Starter is only two years old.

I'm sure it's some simple electrical issue but I can't figure it out. Any help appreciated. Really don't understand why the starter doesn't engage when I use the screwdriver. If I could open the hood I would be in much better shape.

Thank you for any help.

Francis

/ Ford 1700 Starting Problem #2  
Hello. Have a Ford 1700. Not in any way, shape or form a mechanic but thanks to this forum have kept it going 15 years now.

Have a new issue which has me stumped. Unable to start tractor. It sits outside and I try to start it once a month at least. Went a little longer than usual and now it does not turn over. When ignition is turned on the two red indicator lights come on but nothing happens when I try to crank the engine. Preheat does work. Battery is charged.

Has an aftermarket bucket so I can't open the hood unless I can start engine. Which I can't. Have cleaned all the electrical connections I can access. Have checked fuses.

Have very carefully tried to start tractor with the screwdriver on the starter method. Starter runs but does not engage. Starter is only two years old.

I'm sure it's some simple electrical issue but I can't figure it out. Any help appreciated. Really don't understand why the starter doesn't engage when I use the screwdriver. If I could open the hood I would be in much better shape.

Thank you for any help.

Francis

Seems to me you may have to elicit some help in order to raise the loader and open the hood to get at the issue. Also make sure you are jumping the right terminals on the starter. You have to energize the solenoid to push out the pinion so it engages with the flywheel.

Do you have a hoist or a friend with a loader that may be able to help to raise the loader and secure it?

/ Ford 1700 Starting Problem #3  
Sounds like the neutral start switch may be acting up, 44 in the picture. It is a printed circuit board under the shift cover.

Also, when you are trying to start with the screwdriver on the starter, are you touching the top, large lug to the small tab/tang? If so and the starter motor just runs, then the solenoid on top of the starter is stuck or bad.

If you try that method again, wrap on the solenoid with the handle end of a large screwdriver. Sometimes they just stick after awhile.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240522_110158_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240522_110158_Chrome.jpg
    813.6 KB · Views: 16
   / Ford 1700 Starting Problem #4  
How many safety switches does your tractor have?

Clutch safety switch?
PTO safety switch?
Seat safety switch?

Put the battery on the trickle charger.

/ Ford 1700 Starting Problem #5  
How many safety switches does your tractor have?

Clutch safety switch?
PTO safety switch?
Seat safety switch?

Put the battery on the trickle charger.
Good question. I forgot that model also has the clutch pedal switch besides the transmission neutral switch. No PTO or seat switch

/ Ford 1700 Starting Problem
Thanks for all the replies. Don't have any easy options for raising the bucket unfortunately. Took out hinge pins and tried to get hood off but it's just me and it still binds up on the hinge and I can't get it around them.

Best bet is to get it started if possible. I'll disassemble what is shown on the diagram and see if I can see a problem with the neutral safety switch.

Is there something I need to do with the S terminal to jump the starter? If I could just get it to turn over so I can raise the hood it would make things much easier.

Thank you all very much again. I'll see about neutral switch when I get home in a little bit.

/ Ford 1700 Starting Problem #7  
Make sure the transmission is in neutral.
Touch your screwdriver to the large top post on the solenoid and the tab on solenoid.

/ Ford 1700 Starting Problem
Thank you all. So far no luck. Tomorrow grandson is coming over and hopefully I can get the hood off. I will post if there is any progress after that.

/ Ford 1700 Starting Problem #9  
Thank you all. So far no luck. Tomorrow grandson is coming over and hopefully I can get the hood off. I will post if there is any progress after that.
If you can't get the starter to turn over by jumping at the solenoid, then the solenoid is either stuck or burned out. The starter would have to be removed.