Ford 1710 final drive

/ Ford 1710 final drive #1  

Dalbery

Tractor
FT 300 DTC
I have a new to me Ford 1710 and I just changed the hydraulic fluid/filter. My FO-44 manual says that the final drive is lubed by Hyd fluid but no fluid was present. Should there be hyd fluid in there? If so why would there be no fluid? Or should there be gear oil in it? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Darrell

/ Ford 1710 final drive #2  
Look at page 7 in the FO-44 under listing Capacities.
Ford 1710
Rear axle final drive case (each) 2.4 L (2.5 US QT each)

Hard telling how long it has been running dry. I have a 1700 and final drive is not a seperate resivor. Yours has 2 seperate resivors independant of transmission hydrolic fluids thus the capacity for the trans is 4 qts less but the total is nearly the same when you add 2.5 qts on each side.
Go to page 85 Fig 233 for picture.

Last edited:
   / Ford 1710 final drive
Rayikeo2,
Thanks for the info. Trust me I have been studying this book, running out looking at the tractor, studying the book, and repeat. Maybe I'm not talking about the correct part of the rear end. Pg 93 fig 253 shows 2 "reduction drain plugs" These are what's empty-dry. Do you have any insight?
Thanks,
Darrell

/ Ford 1710 final drive #4  
Darryl,

Does you hyd lift system work? The reservoir/rear diffy is where all hyd fluid is returned. it is where hyd pump gets it's fluid. Can't see pump running on a dry reservoir.

JC,

/ Ford 1710 final drive
JC-jetro,
Yes all hydrualics are working. I think my ford 770a loader should have more lifting power, but I read somewhere that the 770 is only rated at 800lbs lift. That seems really weak.
Thanks,
Darrell

/ Ford 1710 final drive #6  
JC-jetro,
Yes all hydrualics are working. I think my ford 770a loader should have more lifting power, but I read somewhere that the 770 is only rated at 800lbs lift. That seems really weak.
Thanks,
Darrell

Darrell,

I'm a bit confused, The "Pg 93 fig 253 shows 2 "reduction drain plugs" reference is for the rear diffy drain plug, are you saying that it is dry when you open the plug or are you talking about the final drive for the 4 wheel drive?

JC,

/ Ford 1710 final drive
JC-jetro,
I am talking about the 2 reduction drain plugs I believe I should've gotten hyd fluid out of them. After refilling my hydraulic fluid and changing the filter I even ran the tractor with those plugs out and nothing came out of them. I haven't found a drain or fill for the rear final drive housings.

/ Ford 1710 final drive #8  
Darrell, Is your tractor a 4 wheel drive? What transmission do you have? Is it a 12 speed manual or a hydrostatic?

/ Ford 1710 final drive #9  
This is only a guess and pure speculation. Maybe if your tractor is NOT a 4x4 the housing you are referring to may not require any lube in the case as it would not have the reduction gears in it.

I am going to retire for the night, Ray

/ Ford 1710 final drive
My tractor is a 4wd and it has the synchromesh 12-4 tranny. And I have tested the 4wd and it does work.
Thanks,
Darrell

Last edited: