Ford 1710 rear hydraulics slow/not working

/ Ford 1710 rear hydraulics slow/not working #11  
That is a cartridge filter, call NAPA and ask if they have a filter make sure you get gaskets for it, If the gaskets do not seal well you will suck in air and that can also cause the problem.as everyone else said check the condition of the oil if its bad change it and make sure you find all of the drains I think there is 4 on that tractor.

That is a spin-on type filter. No extra gasket needed. NH p/n 9846407.

/ Ford 1710 rear hydraulics slow/not working #12  
I don't think you need to worry about draining any fluid before removing the filter, it looks like it sits high in the system and you won't lose much more than what's in the filter. Just have a rag or two handy and maybe some cardboard or newspapers under the tractor. As kenstrac stated, you shouldn't have to change the oil unless it looks milky or dirty....which might be a possibility since the filter has never been changed the oil probably hasn't either. I think universal fluid available cheapest at local farm supply and maybe wally world ( don't know) will be fine if you decide to change it. I can't tell you for sure about the drain holes. I would suggest calling Messicks and talking to the service dept and asking them 1-877-260-3528 they can also tell you approx amount of fluid needed but I'm going to guess between 4-5 gallons. They are an advertiser and member of the forum and very good folks and I am sure they have someone who can tell you every intricate detail about your 1710. Maybe one of the 1710 owners will jump in before tomorrow am who can tell more about the drain(s) locations.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

/ Ford 1710 rear hydraulics slow/not working
Nothing ended up happening with the tractor earlier in the week. I get about 30 minutes of use out of it before it stops working and I need to let it sit for a while. So I used it for what I could and then my neighbor who has a front end loader came by and helped me finish up.

I still need to fix it though so I'm looking around for parts. My local parts dealers either do not carry parts for tractors not made in the last 10 years or are only open during times I'm at work. The part number 9846407 can not be the only part number for that filter because no one sells under that part number online. Can someone direct me to a website that will sell me the filter and/or a more modern part number?

Also, I've been calling this filter the Hydraulic Filter, does it have a different name?

Thanks in advance for any information.

/ Ford 1710 rear hydraulics slow/not working #14  
Nothing ended up happening with the tractor earlier in the week. I get about 30 minutes of use out of it before it stops working and I need to let it sit for a while. So I used it for what I could and then my neighbor who has a front end loader came by and helped me finish up.

I still need to fix it though so I'm looking around for parts. My local parts dealers either do not carry parts for tractors not made in the last 10 years or are only open during times I'm at work. The part number 9846407 can not be the only part number for that filter because no one sells under that part number online. Can someone direct me to a website that will sell me the filter and/or a more modern part number?

Also, I've been calling this filter the Hydraulic Filter, does it have a different name?

Thanks in advance for any information.

9846407 is the New Holland part number for the hydraulic filter on your tractor. That is the OEM filter, and it is a hydraulic filter. Your local parts dealers must be pretty lame to not be able to cross reference that filter number to a Wix, NAPA, Carquest or other number. I did it online in about 30 seconds. FWIW, that filter is used on current production New Holland tractors, so the notion that they can't get filters because the tractor is too old is hogwash.
WIX Filters : Filter Look-Up

Thanks everyone for their help. I called up my local Napa and they had the filter in stock. I went down, got it, bought 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid, came back, emptied the old fluid, installed new filter, and now it works great!

My first tractor repair. Granted it was pretty simple one but its still nice to know I can do it if needs to be done.

Happy Presidents day to you folks.

/ Ford 1710 rear hydraulics slow/not working #16  
I am glad you got it going. I hope you used UTHF fluid. Plain hydraulic oil should not be used.
Bill

/ Ford 1710 rear hydraulics slow/not working #17  
Thanks everyone for their help. I called up my local Napa and they had the filter in stock. I went down, got it, bought 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid, came back, emptied the old fluid, installed new filter, and now it works great!

My first tractor repair. Granted it was pretty simple one but its still nice to know I can do it if needs to be done.

Happy Presidents day to you folks.

EXCELLENT! Glad to hear everything is working and the satisfaction of doing it yourself is priceless.

I am glad you got it going. I hope you used UTHF fluid. Plain hydraulic oil should not be used.
Bill

I did not see anything that said UTHF but this is what I got. Let me know if its the wrong stuff.

/ Ford 1710 rear hydraulics slow/not working #19  
I did not see anything that said UTHF but this is what I got. Let me know if its the wrong stuff.

You don't want that in your 1710. You need New Holland 134D hydraulic oil, or some other oil that meets the MC134D specification. Plain AW- hydraulic oils don't cut it.

What is the worst case scenario with my current oil?