Ford 1715 hydraulics issue - new owner with dumb questions

/ Ford 1715 hydraulics issue - new owner with dumb questions #1  

ssramage

Tractor
Ford 1715
Forgive me for the basic questions... this is the first tractor I've owned and it's been a LONG time since I operated my granddad's tractor (that was a Ford 1720). My granddad has recently passed and I don't have anyone locally that can help, so I'm asking here.

Either something is going on with my 3pt hydraulics on the rear of my 1715, or it's operator error... When I move the position control lever, nothing happens. Sometimes it'll move slightly, sometimes it'll kind of whine. But most of the time I can move it forward and back and nothing happens. I checked the fluid and it looks clean and full. Filter looks fairly new, but I have not removed it.

Dumb questions...

- Is there a "process" on this tractor that I need to do in order for it to move? For example... RPMs at certain level, brake pedal depressed, PTO on/off?
- I'm assuming it should not matter if an implement is installed or not?

Assuming this is not operator error, where should I start for diagnosis?

/ Ford 1715 hydraulics issue - new owner with dumb questions #2  
I think that the position control lever is different than the 3 pt lever that raises and lowers the actual 3 pt hitch.

i do not have a position control lever on my mf1540; just a 3 pt hitch lever.

So.....it is possible that you are using the wrong levers to raise and lower the 3 pt hitch.

I think the position control lever is to maintain whatever level you set the 3 pt hitch at.

/ Ford 1715 hydraulics issue - new owner with dumb questions #3  
I think that the position control lever is different than the 3 pt lever that raises and lowers the actual 3 pt hitch.

i do not have a position control lever on my mf1540; just a 3 pt hitch lever.

So.....it is possible that you are using the wrong levers to raise and lower the 3 pt hitch.

I think the position control lever is to maintain whatever level you set the 3 pt hitch at.

The position control lever raises and lowers the position of the 3 point hitch. The other lever you speak of is called draft control.

/ Ford 1715 hydraulics issue - new owner with dumb questions #4  
Forgive me for the basic questions... this is the first tractor I've owned and it's been a LONG time since I operated my granddad's tractor (that was a Ford 1720). My granddad has recently passed and I don't have anyone locally that can help, so I'm asking here.

Either something is going on with my 3pt hydraulics on the rear of my 1715, or it's operator error... When I move the position control lever, nothing happens. Sometimes it'll move slightly, sometimes it'll kind of whine. But most of the time I can move it forward and back and nothing happens. I checked the fluid and it looks clean and full. Filter looks fairly new, but I have not removed it.

Dumb questions...

- Is there a "process" on this tractor that I need to do in order for it to move? For example... RPMs at certain level, brake pedal depressed, PTO on/off?
- I'm assuming it should not matter if an implement is installed or not?

Assuming this is not operator error, where should I start for diagnosis?

You may have something going on with the hydraulic pump or it may be just seals in the 3 point hitch piston which is in the case under the seat. Those older fords are usually pretty easy to work on.

/ Ford 1715 hydraulics issue - new owner with dumb questions
Thanks for the replies. I did a full hydraulic service on the tractor and all is working now. (y)

/ Ford 1715 hydraulics issue - new owner with dumb questions #6  
Thanks for the replies. I did a full hydraulic service on the tractor and all is working now. (y)

Thanks for letting us know and glad you got it all sorted!!