Ford 1720 help on 3pt lift

/ Ford 1720 help on 3pt lift #1  

Rockych1

Tractor
Ford 1720
Hi everyone. Ive got an issue with this Ford 1720. Its a 2WD. It does not have a loader. Its a 1991 model. It has been a sweet little tractor for around the house and small bushhogging. Weve owned it a couple years now and no problems. Till Saturday. I used the tractor probably the longest its ever ran in one stint. After a couple hours I lost the lift capability on my 3pt arms. I noticed it would sporadically jump to the top every 30 seconds to a minute then ease back down to the ground. I observed this behavior and was able to limp back to the truck. I turned off the machine and thought maybe she was low on Hydraulic fluid. i pulled the dipstick and it began overflowing. it was right on full when starting. I let it overflow till it stopped. Replaced the dipstick. Started the tractor back up and arms working flawlessly. FOR A COUPLE MINUTES. Then started doing the same thing again. I am headed to get a replacement hydraulic oil filter now just because it prolly needs to be done regardless. But I cant see that being it. And no, messing with the speed knob under the seat has not improved any of the functioning. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thank You!

/ Ford 1720 help on 3pt lift #2  
Hello Rocky -

Since today is your first post, it might as well be mine. I have a Ford 1910, and am currently working on an erratically behaving 3 point, I may be of help as your tractor is similar.

First, since you're half way there, you should likely change the hydraulic fluid while you are changing the filter. Consider filtering the oil on the way out for a debris check..??

Second, there is a piston seal which goes on the piston which sits behind the speed knob you mention (flow control valve). I just ordered this seal, and the O-rings for the cover for my tractor today. Looks like it's easy to get at the piston, just remove the bolts/nut around the cover that the control valve knob protrudes from and the whole assembly comes out. Getting the new seal on may be a challenge - plenty of posts and tips on the interwebs to help out. This seal gone bad (after ??? years) is not unexpected and a possible culprit of the misbehaving 3 point arms, and likely needs replacing anyway. Not sure about the overflow condition though, that almost sounds like a stuck check valve or similar in the control valve assembly, which could be more sinister... Could be debris from your failed piston seal... Hmmm, let's put those thoughts aside.

So, clean fluid/filter and a flow control piston seal and O-ring(s) for the cover replacement is my 2 cent vote. You haven't really wasted anything if it's not the problem and your tractor will be happier you have done it.

/ Ford 1720 help on 3pt lift #3  
Your issue is linked to the excessive oil. You need to deduce why it went from full to over full.

/ Ford 1720 help on 3pt lift #4  
Your issue is linked to the excessive oil. You need to deduce why it went from full to over full.
The usual reason for too much trans/hydraulic fluid is the tractor sat out in the weather and water got down the shifter collars into the transmission sump. If so, the fluid will be milky instead of clear.
When that happens, corrosion usually requires replacing the O ring on the lift cylinder piston too.
rScotty

/ Ford 1720 help on 3pt lift
Hello Rocky -

Since today is your first post, it might as well be mine. I have a Ford 1910, and am currently working on an erratically behaving 3 point, I may be of help as your tractor is similar.

First, since you're half way there, you should likely change the hydraulic fluid while you are changing the filter. Consider filtering the oil on the way out for a debris check..??

Second, there is a piston seal which goes on the piston which sits behind the speed knob you mention (flow control valve). I just ordered this seal, and the O-rings for the cover for my tractor today. Looks like it's easy to get at the piston, just remove the bolts/nut around the cover that the control valve knob protrudes from and the whole assembly comes out. Getting the new seal on may be a challenge - plenty of posts and tips on the interwebs to help out. This seal gone bad (after ??? years) is not unexpected and a possible culprit of the misbehaving 3 point arms, and likely needs replacing anyway. Not sure about the overflow condition though, that almost sounds like a stuck check valve or similar in the control valve assembly, which could be more sinister... Could be debris from your failed piston seal... Hmmm, let's put those thoughts aside.

So, clean fluid/filter and a flow control piston seal and O-ring(s) for the cover replacement is my 2 cent vote. You haven't really wasted anything if it's not the problem and your tractor will be happier you have done it.
Thanks for the response! Gonna order the seals tonight and get all of this done and see what happens!

/ Ford 1720 help on 3pt lift #6  
Don't forget cleaning out your oil pickup screen

/ Ford 1720 help on 3pt lift #8  
The usual reason for too much trans/hydraulic fluid is the tractor sat out in the weather and water got down the shifter collars into the transmission sump. If so, the fluid will be milky instead of clear.
When that happens, corrosion usually requires replacing the O ring on the lift cylinder piston too.
rScotty
The OP indicated that the hydraulic oil was checked prior to using the tractor, then after use it was overflowing out of the dipstick tube. So, oil from a different source must be getting into the case. The transmission and engine oil are separate from the hydraulic system/rear end, correct? The first thing I would do is check the engine and transmission levels, and see if one of them is down.

/ Ford 1720 help on 3pt lift #9  
I thought i had read on here somewhere that the ones with external filters didnt have the screens?
I thought I recall my 1720 having both but I haven't changed the hydraulic fluid in a couple years and may be getting it mixed up with one of my other tractors. I'll check when I get home

I thought I recall my 1720 having both but I haven't changed the hydraulic fluid in a couple years and may be getting it mixed up with one of my other tractors. I'll check when I get home
Thank you