Ford 1900

/ Ford 1900 #1  

Tarnold

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ls 3038h, ford 1900
First alternator lasted 35 years, second 2 years. Dash now shows red light(alt) when cranked. On this unit when running, it will still run with key turned off(alt light off). So, is it ok to run with key in off position, guess it not charging, but doesn’t take much to crank. Shut fuel lever off and it stops.

/ Ford 1900 #2  
You won't hurt anything running with the key off but you won't have any indication of potential problems like low oil pressure or over temp either. You could consider taking your alternator to a shop for troubleshooting and repair.

/ Ford 1900 #3  
First alternator lasted 35 years, second 2 years. Dash now shows red light(alt) when cranked. On this unit when running, it will still run with key turned off(alt light off). So, is it ok to run with key in off position, guess it not charging, but doesn’t take much to crank. Shut fuel lever off and it stops.
Does it have an integral voltage regulator(i.e. built into the alternator)? If it has a separate voltage regulator it may have failed. Also make sure that your battery chasis ground is good.

/ Ford 1900
Gotta go check that ground. I did have to wiggle the hot wire to the starter the other day to get it to turn over.
Thanks.

/ Ford 1900 #5  
Gotta go check that ground. I did have to wiggle the hot wire to the starter the other day to get it to turn over.
Thanks.
By "hot wire", do you mean the battery terminal at the starter? That's typically where the alternator connection is also made to charge the battery. No wonder you're burning up alternators.

Fix the problem first. Regular inspection and maintenance should eliminate problems like that.