Ford 1910 4wd not working

/ Ford 1910 4wd not working #1  

Vafafa49

Tractor
Ford 1910
Hoping someone can help with my 4wd issue on my compact tractor. I did hear a loud pop when the 4wd quit working.

I had the tractor off the ground today and if I turn one front wheel the opposite wheel does not turn. I took the left front tire off and the left front drop axle apart and everything on the left side seems ok.

I know there's a coupler on the driveshaft but have not gotten that far into it. Has anyone else experienced this and what would be the likely cause?

Thanks for your help

/ Ford 1910 4wd not working #2  
The coupler and shaft splines are a common failure on these tractors. With the front axle raised, put the tractor into 4wd. At that point the other tire turns opposite direction of what you are turning.

If the opposite tire doesn't move, it is likely the problem is in the shaft or the 4wd drop box. Usually there will be some noise during this to help you narrow your seach.

/ Ford 1910 4wd not working
I tried that with tractor in 4wd and also transmission in gear. Only one front tire turns, the wheel on opposite side doesn't move at all. Both fronts turn if you try on either wheel. The one on right side makes a little noise when turning....could the axle be broken?

/ Ford 1910 4wd not working #4  
It is not common for the shaft to break, normally it is the coupler or splines on the shaft are wore out. They will intermittently hold and then release. There will be some noise as the pinion spins the damaged coupler or shaft.

I have not seen a pinion shaft break, do you have AG tires with a loader ?

When you turn the front tires can you have someone listen at the drop box for any signs of gear movement there ?

Does your 4wd shifter feel like it is engaging and disengage when you move it ?

/ Ford 1910 4wd not working #5  
It is not common for the shaft to break, normally it is the coupler or splines on the shaft are wore out. They will intermittently hold and then release. There will be some noise as the pinion spins the damaged coupler or shaft.

When you turn the front tires can you have someone listen at the drop box for any signs of gear movement there ?

Yes, but if he has it in gear and jacked up in front...one wheel don't make the other turn...

I tried both in gear and in neutral with same results. Only one wheel turns

/ Ford 1910 4wd not working #7  
With a open differential, if you hold the pinion, the opposite tire turns backwards. Just trying to narrow down where the damage is located to save some extra work.

Ok, I wasn't understanding you at first. How do I hold the pinion?

Also, with all 4 wheels off the ground in 4wd if I turn a rear wheel nothing moves or turns as far as the front wheels. Shouldn't at least 1 front wheelturn when I spin a rear wheel?

Yes, it has AG tires and a loader. When I shift into 4wd the lever feels right.