Ford 3000 diesel project Help please

/ Ford 3000 diesel project Help please #12  
yea becuase when i said set the crank on 18 degrees i was thinking of a sims pump even tho u said u had a cav pump my mind got side tract but u adjust the timing on a cav pump by the three bolts holding the pump on

/ Ford 3000 diesel project Help please #13  
So you dot the cam and crank with the fly wheel at 18 BTDC or do you set the cam, and crank at 0 deg, then rotate it to 18 deg and install the injector pump?

According to my manual:
Turn the engine until no 1 piston is on the compression stroke and the 19° btdc mark on the flywheel is aligned with the timing mark in the inspection window found on the bottom right rear of the engine. Remove the inspection plate from the front of the engine timing cover ant check that the pump timing marks are aligned - if the marks are not aligned loosen the three bolts that hold the drive gear to the pump flange and rotate the flange until the marks line up.

/ Ford 3000 diesel project Help please
OK with the timing issue resolved, I have concluded that I have low compression. I got a testeer and it measured 250 well below the 400 minimum required. Anyone have an idea as to what would cause such low compression. I have double checked the valves twice and they are set correctly according tot he manual.

/ Ford 3000 diesel project Help please #15  
Hello Kenthemastergardener. From your first post, you have new pistions, rings rebored, good as new. Two questons, was it done in a good machine shop, and did you have the head tested and rebuilt???? Having had a really bad experience, with a machine shop, I had to pull my engine twice. Second time it went to a well known shop.

David-Davies

/ Ford 3000 diesel project Help please #16  
if low compression pull start it and run it under a load for a couple of hours the rings are most likely not seated yet and running a bushhog or something that will load the motor will help set the rings

/ Ford 3000 diesel project Help please #17  
According to my manual:
Turn the engine until no 1 piston is on the compression stroke and the 19ー btdc mark on the flywheel is aligned with the timing mark in the inspection window found on the bottom right rear of the engine. Remove the inspection plate from the front of the engine timing cover ant check that the pump timing marks are aligned - if the marks are not aligned loosen the three bolts that hold the drive gear to the pump flange and rotate the flange until the marks line up.

the cav pumps have a dial pin in the drive gear of them so u can not rotate them you can only rotate the drive gear on a sims pumps

Can't you pull the gear off, rotate the shaft of the CAV pump until the gear lines up and then bolt it back on?

/ Ford 3000 diesel project Help please #19  
1) are you 180 degrees out of phase? ie on the exhaust stroke and not the compression stroke? VERY easy to do that.

2) are the valves adjusted too tight? Tight valves allow compression to go past as they are not seated.

3) are the rings end gap off set? Ring gaps lined up can allow a lot of compression out.

I've never had issue with low compression on a new short block (lower end). Typically, the rings are so tight it's a bear to spin. Only issues ever have been timing 180 out, valves tight and pump/injectors being bad.

I found the problem. The pistons they sent me are 1/4 inch too short.