Ford 3000 finding Top Dead Centre on cylinder 1

/ Ford 3000 finding Top Dead Centre on cylinder 1 #1  

FordnMassey

Silver Member
Tractor
ford 3000 and MF35
Hi,

I'm about to start working on the injection pump on my Ford 3000, 1967, diesel, Simms/Minimec injection pump.

To do so, I have to turn the engine to the 19deg btdc mark on the flywheel and compression stroke cylinder 1.

The only way I can see to know it's compression stroke for cylinder 1 is to remove the valve cover and sight both valves closed on cylinder 1. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

/ Ford 3000 finding Top Dead Centre on cylinder 1 #2  
That's the way I time things all engines. But wait, a lot of those old Fords were made in continental Europe. Is the #1 cylinder the one farthest forward or the one closest to the operator? The continental European custom is sometimes backwards from ours.

/ Ford 3000 finding Top Dead Centre on cylinder 1 #3  
I'm not sure why you feel the need to worry about compression stroke, but that's your choice. If you plan to "work on the pump" to the degree that timing marks are in play, you need to take the cover off that's in front of the pump drive gear anyway, so just turn the motor over until the pump timing marks are in view. Number one will be on compression stroke at that point.

/ Ford 3000 finding Top Dead Centre on cylinder 1 #4  
Look on the RH side of the bellhousing under the engine. There is a oblong cover held on with a screw. That will give you access to the flywheel and the timing marks. Turn the engine over until you see the timing marks etched into the flywheel to find TDC.

BTW, #1 is the front cylinder.

/ Ford 3000 finding Top Dead Centre on cylinder 1 #5  
Look on the RH side of the bellhousing under the engine. There is a oblong cover held on with a screw. That will give you access to the flywheel and the timing marks. Turn the engine over until you see the timing marks etched into the flywheel to find TDC. BTW, #1 is the front cylinder

/ Ford 3000 finding Top Dead Centre on cylinder 1 #6  
Look on the RH side of the bellhousing under the engine. There is a oblong cover held on with a screw. That will give you access to the flywheel and the timing marks. Turn the engine over until you see the timing marks etched into the flywheel to find TDC. BTW, #1 is the front cylinder
Jolly,jolly but to answer op's question, how will he know it's on compression stroke?

/ Ford 3000 finding Top Dead Centre on cylinder 1 #7  
If ur still stumped, remove the cover in front of the pump..
Nor remove the side cover on the pump..
When #1 inside the pump just starts to rise, STOP.
(#1 is closest to the radiator)
Now go look inside the engine (where u took off the cover)
At the 12-1:00 position is a scribe line (timing mark)
Keep rotating the engine until that timing mark on the drive lines up with the timing mark on the pump housing boss..
I hope this helps..

/ Ford 3000 finding Top Dead Centre on cylinder 1
If ur still stumped, remove the cover in front of the pump..
Nor remove the side cover on the pump..
When #1 inside the pump just starts to rise, STOP.
(#1 is closest to the radiator)
Now go look inside the engine (where u took off the cover)
At the 12-1:00 position is a scribe line (timing mark)
Keep rotating the engine until that timing mark on the drive lines up with the timing mark on the pump housing boss..
I hope this helps..
Thanks thepumpguysc. That makes sense. The injection pump will be injecting cylinder 1 when cylinder 1 is on its compression stroke.
That saves me lifting the rocker/valve cover.

/ Ford 3000 finding Top Dead Centre on cylinder 1 #9  
Glad it makes sense..
Stick with me kid, I’ll learn ya sumpin.. (lol)
R u planning on working the inj pump yourself.??
They aren’t as complicated as some inj pumps.. BUT.. u do need the splined socket to remove the delivery valve holders AND u HAVE TO KNOW the torque..
Like everything else, it needs to be disassembled in sequence.. I hope u have a tear down and rebuild manual..
Good luck

/ Ford 3000 finding Top Dead Centre on cylinder 1 #10  
What a coincidence. I just got a 67 3000. Mines a Basildon England build.

How reliable are those Simms inline pumps? Any preventative maintenance I should be doing to prolong it's life?