Backhoe Ford 4500 TLB

/ Ford 4500 TLB #1  

hvald1

Tractor
Ford 4500 TLB
Hello.... Looking for some help and guidance. I recently picked up a Ford 4500 TLB and it was working fine. No issues but now it makes a lot of noise raising and lowering front bucket. Now the front tilt moves by itself. If you set the bucket level and raise the bucket, the tilt will automatically move down like to dump. There is a valve next to the front control levelers, I would say a hydraulic bypass. The knob can be either pulled out or pushed in. I have no idea what it is for. I checked the functions with button pushed and pulled, no difference.

I checked the hydraulic fluid which was two gallons low and I topped it off but no change in the front bucket operation. The backhoe controls and function appear to work fine, no issues that I can tell.

Does the hydraulic pump appear to be failing? Could it be a filter problem? Could the front tilt valve be failing?

Thank you in advance for any help...

Hec

/ Ford 4500 TLB #2  
Hello.... Looking for some help and guidance. I recently picked up a Ford 4500 TLB and it was working fine. No issues but now it makes a lot of noise raising and lowering front bucket. Now the front tilt moves by itself. If you set the bucket level and raise the bucket, the tilt will automatically move down like to dump. There is a valve next to the front control levelers, I would say a hydraulic bypass. The knob can be either pulled out or pushed in. I have no idea what it is for. I checked the functions with button pushed and pulled, no difference.

I checked the hydraulic fluid which was two gallons low and I topped it off but no change in the front bucket operation. The backhoe controls and function appear to work fine, no issues that I can tell.

Does the hydraulic pump appear to be failing? Could it be a filter problem? Could the front tilt valve be failing?

Thank you in advance for any help...

Hec

First let me say I don't know the specifics of your tractor so my comments are based on a general knowledge of the subject.

I doubt it's the pump. Could be a leaking piston seal in the cylinders. Valve could have a problem but I'd check the cylinders first. If the fluid was 2 gallons low, exercise the system a bit to get the air out. That's most likely what's causing the pump to scream-it's sucking air. It's also possible that the suction pipe to the pump is cracked or leaking air. Does the hoe have it's own hydraulic system? If it works off the tractor's pump, the bypass valve could switch the tractor hydraulics from the loader to the hoe.

/ Ford 4500 TLB
Thanks for input... How do you exercise the system? One pump runs all hydraulics... bypass does nothing, Loader and hoe both are functional with button pushed or pulled...

I suppose I should get a manual...

/ Ford 4500 TLB #4  
Thanks for input... How do you exercise the system? One pump runs all hydraulics... bypass does nothing, Loader and hoe both are functional with button pushed or pulled...

I suppose I should get a manual...

Just raise lower and curl the loader bucket and see if the squealing stops. By all means get a factory manual. Don't waste money on an IT Manual.

/ Ford 4500 TLB
Thanks Jerry!!! Where is a good source for factory manual??

/ Ford 4500 TLB #6  
Any pictures of this "button"?

Almost sounds like the loader valve may have a self leveling feature. In that when raising the loader, the bucket "dumps" to maintain a level position relative to where it was when started. Think like pallet forks. If you clamped pallet forks on, and had them flat on the ground, then raised all the way, normally by the time you get to full height, the pallet forks would be pointing about straight up. A self leveling valve would keep the forks level to the ground.

No idea if thats what the button is for....just speculating.

/ Ford 4500 TLB
here it is... IMG_6189.jpg

/ Ford 4500 TLB #9  
Hard to tell just what it is, dads 4500 looks nothing like that.

Where do the three lines go/come from? Maybe that will help figure out just what that knob is supposed to do