Buying Advice Ford 4610SU for first tractor purchase?

/ Ford 4610SU for first tractor purchase?
For me having a loader or not is generally as secondary concern at this point. We do not currently have any livestock and usually we are able to have the dump trucks spread gravel to where we could easily use a blade to level.

Mowing is probably the number one task this unit would be seeing for the foreseeable future. But at the same time I don稚 want to shoot myself in the foot either on price or function... lots to think through.

Both trucks are 3.5 ecoboosts as well, great little trucks! mines an 11 his is a 19.

Any guess what price the market may take this to??

/ Ford 4610SU for first tractor purchase? #12  
The dealer I traded mine to had it for sale around $7000 I think. That's a 1989 model 3910 with 2600 hours or so and a loader. I'd say $5000-$6000 for what you're talking about at the most unless it is in immaculate condition. It will make a fine mowing tractor. in 1998 when I graduated high school I spent the summer on the county highway mowing crew and we ran a slew of old Fords, there wasn't much difference in them between the old ones and the newer ones, they are machines designed for that kind of work and they did it day in and day out.

/ Ford 4610SU for first tractor purchase? #13  
If you want a loader maybe waiting for a used combo for sale is best. These are popular used tractors and used loaders hard to find. Adding a new loader typically expensive

ABSOLUTELY TRUE!
If the OP wants a loader he SHOULD buy a tractor WITH a loader.
Who sells just the loader from their tractor?
Well, maybe some used parts yard...but there might be 10 other guys at any one time, looking for that same used loader.

Last edited:
ABSOLUTELY TRUE!
If the OP wants a loader he SHOULD buy a tractor WITH a loader.
Who sells just the loader from their tractor?
Well, maybe some used parts yard...but there might be 10 other guys at any one time, looking for that same used loader.

I知 not sure what to think, I really haven稚 thought about needing a loader up to this point but now you guys are making me question it. I can see the use of the loader but I just don稚 know if for my application I壇 be better off renting a skid steer for the one time a year I need a loader for gravel or something like that? Thoughts??

/ Ford 4610SU for first tractor purchase? #15  
If doing maintenance on the property you'll be using a loader often. A time and back saver. When I had 2 wheel drive tractors used the loader to get un-stuck in mud many times.

/ Ford 4610SU for first tractor purchase? #16  
I知 not sure what to think, I really haven稚 thought about needing a loader up to this point but now you guys are making me question it. I can see the use of the loader but I just don稚 know if for my application I壇 be better off renting a skid steer for the one time a year I need a loader for gravel or something like that? Thoughts??

Once you have a loader, you will be using the loader FAR more than you think!
If you have forks for the loader, you will likely use them more than the bucket.

/ Ford 4610SU for first tractor purchase? #17  
I think that would make a great first tractor. At $4,500 or so it gets you in the game. Buy a used 6' or 7' rough cut mower and an 8' rear blade, and you're in business.

Use it as much as you like, and you'll be able to sell it for what you paid for it and buy your next tractor (with a loader). In the meantime you get work done and have fun.

You guys are all making really good points here so I just want to stress how much I appreciate it!

At the moment I guess I知 just kind of in a holding pattern, my first thing will be see what the bidding does in the next ~2.5~ weeks. At this point for all I know some people will get in a bidding war and it will sell for $20k (joking) and well out of my budget.

My dad and I did talk about it some tonight and he did echo @airbiscut 壮 remark that just because we pick this up doesn稚 mean it is the last or even the only tractor we may end up with.

I should have noted that my dad does know the gentleman who is in charge of the municipality that is has put them up for auction so I called hime today and he gave an overall positive breakdown of things though as with any sale I am taking it with a load of salt.
-hours accurate
-shedded most of life
-head service tech at municipality was a former FNH tech who treated these like his babies

I wish I could figure out how to post a picture

/ Ford 4610SU for first tractor purchase? #19  
Pics of tractors being considered(posted for OP)
Ford 4610 .jpg
Ford 4610SU.jpg