Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly?

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #181  
Read the whole thread. I have a 2005 F-350 crew cab dually with the 6.0L diesel. It now has 115k miles on it, and is working nearly every day. From day one? The turbo, EGR cooler, oil cooler, and EGR valve have been replaced. One alternator. FICM rebuild. 100% stock zero mods. I consider it to be a great truck. The EGR cooler is from bullet-proof diesel, and superior to the OEM. The Ford oil cooler is a good quality cooler. Coolant filter is added. Truck starts every day; I'd drive it cross country in a heart beat. These Fords were good trucks. My 2019 RAM 3500 with the Cummins 6.7L HO is certainly stronger, but lacks the character of the 6.0L truck, which I love.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #182  
Read the whole thread. I have a 2005 F-350 crew cab dually with the 6.0L diesel. It now has 115k miles on it, and is working nearly every day. From day one? The turbo, EGR cooler, oil cooler, and EGR valve have been replaced. One alternator. FICM rebuild. 100% stock zero mods. I consider it to be a great truck. The EGR cooler is from bullet-proof diesel, and superior to the OEM. The Ford oil cooler is a good quality cooler. Coolant filter is added. Truck starts every day; I'd drive it cross country in a heart beat. These Fords were good trucks. My 2019 RAM 3500 with the Cummins 6.7L HO is certainly stronger, but lacks the character of the 6.0L truck, which I love.
You just described my 07 6.0. It’s at 123k miles ,original turbo. I just did the fuel injectors too. I was told to expect that as regular maintenance every 100k. The cost? Well, it was like a good punch in the stomach. :)

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #183  
They are expensive in terms of labor, but a modern diesel from any of the Big 3 is even more costly. Oil changes on a 6.0L are quite pricey, especially if you like to run ArchOil or similar additive.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #184  

Character, huh?
Hmmmmmm, never though of the aspect of “character“ in a truck.
Me? I’d take the stronger Cummins 24/7/365

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #185  
Just used the truck to pull my 16,000lbs of gooseneck trailer and Kubota tractor up a very steep long grade from a dead stop. Truck pulled in 1st gear really as well as the Cummins with 1000lb-ft. But the Cummins would have shifted up a couple of gears and kept pulling. Nevertheless it got the job done without issue.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #186  
I just pulled on the scale at 46,700lbs today with my Ram/Cummins/6 speed. Never felt the need for 8 or 10 gears.
Damn glad I have a Cummins now. It lives under 3,000RPM and just begs for more.
I would never consider owning anything but Cummins for heavy, hard pulling purposes.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #187  
That’s a maxed out truck. Keep in mind the 2019 and 2020 Cummins 6.7 engines use the problematic CP4 high pressure pump which is also used on the Super Duty from 2011-current.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #188  
That’s a maxed out truck. Keep in mind the 2019 and 2020 Cummins 6.7 engines use the problematic CP4 high pressure pump which is also used on the Super Duty from 2011-current.
And that’s the 100th time that truck has been “maxed out” in the last year and a half. Actually it’s been beyond maxed out.
All the new diesel trucks are problematic. I just came off 20 years of mostly Ford diesels used in heavy farming and snowplowing use and looking back on it, they were extremely disappointing trucks.

Last edited:
   / Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #189  
I just pulled on the scale at 46,700lbs today with my Ram/Cummins/6 speed. Never felt the need for 8 or 10 gears.
Damn glad I have a Cummins now. It lives under 3,000RPM and just begs for more.
I would never consider owning anything but Cummins for heavy, hard pulling purposes.

My F-750 is set at at 245 hp around 650 torque with a baby 5.9. The 6 speed is lacking IMO for the weight and power combination. Especially on the top end. Even one more gear between 4-5 would make a lot of difference. But the Cummins does have the best towing performance of anything I’ve had. I’ve also got another Ford with a v-10. I’ll take that way before I’d take any of the powerjokes. For one the gas burners are cheap to buy. 2 they’re cheap to maintain and repair. The mileage sucks but the return just isn’t there for a diesel.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #190  
I run a landscaping business and I buy quite a few trucks. I’ve had four Ford 6.7 trucks and now two RAM 6.7 trucks. No problems with either, but I don’t keep them long enough to be a problem, except this old 6.0 Ford which I just enjoy for some reason.