Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly?

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly?
I think that I've read enough here to get the answer I was looking for. Sometimes the lowest price isn't better in the long run. I will keep poking around the Craigslist and Hemmings sites until I find something better. While I would like to find a decent ton truck, a 3/4 will do what I need it to do... albeit a bit slower.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #22  
I have a 7.3 and a 6.0. I love my old 7.3 but the ride and cab noise is crap compared to the 2005+ 6.0's. .

The 7.3 is the most overrated engine in history IMO. They run forever without exploding which is a pretty high standard for a Ford diesel, but the cab noise is awful, shakes and rattles awful, the cold starting is awful, the power is just ok, and they’re heavy. Give me a Duramax or a Cummins without the Dodge over a 7.3 anytime. As to owing a 6.0 if 100 people jumped off a bridge and 30 lived would you have to try it or learn from observation?

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #23  
The 7.3 ...... They run forever without exploding which is a pretty high standard for a Ford diesel, but the cab noise is awful, shakes and rattles awful, the cold starting is awful, the power is just ok, and they’re heavy.

Perfect diesel. :D

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #24  
I don't know, I'm pretty partial to the 6.0's.

My dad had lots of them in his Contracting business and never had a problem. Every winter when it was cold and snowy, the driver would be responsible to do fluid maintenance on the truck. The best thing for that engine is to keep clean and fresh coolant in it. The coolant is what starts all the problems. The coolant breaks down and then plugs up the oil cooler, which causes the EGR cooler to blow and the leak takes out the head gaskets. Keep the coolant clean and it's a great engine. I know there are a few other fixes like stand plugs and STC fittings, but overall once their fixed right...they're good. I have never seen a 6.0 bottom end blow out. If you look at the bed plate on those things that hold the crank...it's a massive piece of iron that can hold 1,000+ HP if needed. Not very many engines can say that stock.

With the EPA not allowing any more deletes, even for off road use only, the 6.0 are in demand for the tuning dudes again. However I will still tell anyone I talk to how bad it is...gotta keep prices low.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #25  
I have had 4-5 6.0s over the years. Had a 04 F350 4x4 4 door and kept it for 2 or 3 years. No problems. Don't remember how many miles but certainly under 40k. Had a 2005 E350 4x4 Quigly van that I put 50-60k on, zero problems. Had a 06 F350 4x4 4door King Ranch that I bought from a friend with 15k on it. At that time it had already blown a head gasket under warranty and dealer fixed it. Drove it till 95k with zero problems until the fuel pump went. That too was fixed under warranty. I traded it and I'm told it grenaded on the new owner after about 2k miles. . .. Loved that truck but got rid of it just in time. Had another 06 F350 single cab 4x4 8' bed that I gave to my father. He had it for several years and only put 5-6k a year on it it's no real issues. Until mice got into it and it was totaled with 40-45k on it. Would I buy one used today ? ... Probably not. .. Too much risk for any possible reward. For a beater that is only going to get a few thousand miles a year, I think I would look for a V10 but check the manifolds on those.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #26  
Here's my experience with one. 06 5.9 Cummins owner now.
Travis

IMG_20131119_124519_258s.jpg

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #27  
One of my family members bought a new 6.0 in 2005. It was a huge piece of crap blowing up the whole motor once and the head gaskets twice in the time he had it which wasn’t long. There wasn’t enough time for the coolant to get dirty and he didn’t hot rod the truck either. After a fairly short time he traded it for a Duramax that he still has and has been problem free. But for the other side of the 6.0 one of my buddies had one. It was a farm truck that wasn’t even his personal truck and took abuse for 240,000 miles and was still going when they traded. Another guy I used to shoot with has one that he drives 40 minutes to work so no short trips and it’s had tons of problems.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #28  
The 7.3 is the most overrated engine in history IMO. They run forever without exploding which is a pretty high standard for a Ford diesel, but the cab noise is awful, shakes and rattles awful, the cold starting is awful, the power is just ok, and they’re heavy. Give me a Duramax or a Cummins without the Dodge over a 7.3 anytime. As to owing a 6.0 if 100 people jumped off a bridge and 30 lived would you have to try it or learn from observation?

Well by your logic then dodge trucks are POS because my old roommates wheel feel off while going down the highway, my neighbors dodge leaks oil enough that he doesn't have to change it, and the **** things have bad rust issues. Fords actually have a better interior than dodge in my opinion you rarely see a ford with a cracked dash but it seems to be standard issue with dodge. Im a ford man but I know they aren't perfect. I will admit the 6.4 was terrible, 6.0 is a great motor is you do a few things to it, and the 7.3 is old and not on par with todays diesels but my 7.3 has spent less time being worked on than any of the modern stuff.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #29  
The problem with the 6.0 when it first came out, was it was Fords first electronically controlled diesel. The Ford techs really didn't have an idea on how to fix them. They did a lot of trial and error and a fair amount of early models were guinea pigs for the techs. A lot of trucks were ruined by guys that just didn't know how to fix them, although they will blame the tuck. International and Ford tried to quickly train up everyone and right the ship. They did eventually.

With this being the first electronically controlled diesel, the turner world really exploded because now with a tune, one could get 150 extra horsepower with just uploading a tune. There was not a real knowledge base on knowing what injection duration was and how it can blow an engine, they just turned up the fuel and lots of problems happened. Now most turners know how to keep the engine safe, back in 2004 it was the wild wild west.

The other thing I like about the Ford 6.0, every fix can be done with Ford Motorcraft parts. A person doesn't need to know a lot about the after market companies to fix their truck. They are also pretty easy to work on. Most guys can work on them in their garage without a lot of specially tools.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #30  
Well by your logic then dodge trucks are POS because my old roommates wheel feel off while going down the highway, my neighbors dodge leaks oil enough that he doesn't have to change it, and the **** things have bad rust issues. Fords actually have a better interior than dodge in my opinion you rarely see a ford with a cracked dash but it seems to be standard issue with dodge. Im a ford man but I know they aren't perfect. I will admit the 6.4 was terrible, 6.0 is a great motor is you do a few things to it, and the 7.3 is old and not on par with todays diesels but my 7.3 has spent less time being worked on than any of the modern stuff.

The Ford 6.0s are known far and wide for being a POS. Not just the two examples I personally knew. You don’t have to convince me of Dodge trucks being junk either. As far as I’m concerned of the yesteryear truck they’re the worst. I like a ford truck. They have the best mirrors, best cab, best gas burner transmission. But the diesels are a real turd and I’m not a much bigger fan of the 5.4-6.8 gas burners. I’m not a fan of the leaf spring front ends on the older ones either.