Ford 7.3L Gas Engine

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #211  
Our local dealer just delivered his first Ford 7.3 to a guy that had a 8.1L BB Chevy for years so it will be a good comparison to the last of the breed from the bow tie group. For me personally, I would spend every dime I had to buy one of these 7.3 gassers IF I could get a 6 speed manual behind it. :D

^^I'd love to get one with a manual too.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #212  
^^I'd love to get one with a manual too.

Good luck. I had a hard time finding any manual in this truck category. Even the semis are moving to automatics.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #213  
I haven’t seen a true heavy half in a long time, from any manufacturer. The 7.3L is only available in the F-250 and up.

ETA: I don’t think there’s really a reason to have a heavy half, anymore. They are all so much more capable than trucks from those days. Today’s half tons do more than the 3/4 ton of 15 years ago and with less problems.

Very true - but you have to make sure they are equipped for what you intend to do with them. When I was truck shopping 3 years ago the local Dodge dealer had 3 1500 models in stock. Payload sticker on each one was right about 900 lbs...they sure had a nice ride! But if I were to load my quad in the back and my camping gear - I would have been over the truck's payload.

Door sticker on my stock 2016 F150 supercab (no Max Towing package, no Max Payload package) is 1,937 lbs - a thousand pounds more than the Dodge! I need a truck that can haul a load more than I need a soft ride.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #215  
Wonder why they didn't compare the 7.3 to the 6.6. I think the numbers are much closer.

Because the 6.2 is the base engine in the Super Duty line of trucks. The 7.3 is an upgrade and the 6.7 is an even bigger upgrade. The diesel is $10,495 more than the base engine while the 7.3 is a $1,700 option

Ford doesnt offer a 6.6

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #216  
Because the 6.2 is the base engine in the Super Duty line of trucks. The 7.3 is an upgrade and the 6.7 is an even bigger upgrade. The diesel is $10,495 more than the base engine while the 7.3 is a $1,700 option

Ford doesnt offer a 6.6

I believe he's referring to the new GM 6.6 gas engine that's just been introduced. Would be interested to see how it compares to the new Ford 7.3.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #217  
I believe he's referring to the new GM 6.6 gas engine that's just been introduced. Would be interested to see how it compares to the new Ford 7.3.

I'm sure that test is coming with them loaded up with a run on the Ike Gauntlet. Also, test them for MPG too.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #218  
Good luck. I had a hard time finding any manual in this truck category. Even the semis are moving to automatics.

Nearly all medium duty trucks are automatics too.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #219  
Yeah I think they said they'd release the full video right around Jan 21st...

I currently have the 6.2 with the 6-speed and 4.30 rear end in my 2014 f250. It's actually a pretty solid combo and I usually tow up to 15K. No everyone, it's not a diesel..... I watched that dyno vid comparing the 6.2 to the 7.3, I think it showcases that Ford did a great job with torque Management on both trucks, as the torque curve on the 6.2 is pretty solid as well, and even appears to be more linear than the 7.3. I'm exciting to see how this thing really tows though and even though I might wait one or two years for them to work the bugs out, I think this might be my next truck!
I'm sure that test is coming with them loaded up with a run on the Ike Gauntlet. Also, test them for MPG too.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #220  
Earlier in this thread I expressed my feeling that a pushrod engine was going backwards in design. I didn't know much of anything about the 6.2 offering. The 5.0 Coyote engine has been pretty reliable in both the mustang and truck configuration.

A while back I saw a F250 with a 6.2 for cheap and the dealer said it had a knocking noise in the engine. Doing some research online I found numerous complaints of 6.2 gassers with engine failures and noises so I decided not to go down a repair path. Seems like the same issues Ford had with the 6.0 diesel engine. It's hard to understand how Ford has remained the top selling truck with their recent history of engine problems.

I hope this 7.3 gasser turns out to be a change in the tide for Ford. I am a Ford fan but seeing how much a truck costs these days a bad reputation of engine problems will eventually catch up to them.

GM has seemed to keep the pushrod design up and running although it hasn't always been without problems. I bought a used 2003 Z06 Corvette some years back and the engine in those were famous for breaking valve springs and crashing pistons in or around 30K miles. I went ahead and replaced the springs on mine just for piece of mind but I didn't keep the car but a year. The vehicle had several problems a flagship model should not have had with driveline and electrical issues. At 43000 miles the pilot bearing went out and required a clutch job. I found a deal on a new torque tube in a box so I ordered and replaced that when I pulled the transaxle to do the clutch. The driveshaft components in those also had a reputation for being weak and expensive to repair. I lived in fear of what wold tear up next. That and keeping the car clean living on a dirt road was more stress than I could justify for a pleasure vehicle.