Ford 7.3L Gas Engine

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #301  
I wonder how long that thing will last, 16 plus pounds of boost is getting up there for a gas engine.
If it's built like the Ecoboost, it's built heavier than a normal gas engine, more like a diesel engine, so the boost won't be a problem.

Aaron Z

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #302  
I wonder how long that thing will last, 16 plus pounds of boost is getting up there for a gas engine.

yeah will be watching, I was more surprised by how high they were winding the engine 7900 RPM

Being an OHV architecture, that is Screaming

Last edited:
   / Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #303  
If it's built like the Ecoboost, it's built heavier than a normal gas engine, more like a diesel engine, so the boost won't be a problem.

Aaron Z
From what I read it is built even heavier.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #304  
I have a 99 F250 with 7.3 Powerstroke I purchased used in 2001 with 50,000 miles . Now 20 years later it has 145,000 miles with no major issues. I tow a 35 foot fifth wheel camper around 10,000 lbs. My wife and I have discussed getting a newer truck in a couple years. . To get a quieter ride, improved technology features. A gasoline engine is certainly worth consideration in my situation.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #305  
yeah will be watching, I was more surprised by how high they were winding the engine 7900 RPM

Being an OHV architecture, that is Screaming

Uh, "OHV"? Over Head Valve? Has anyone built an Under Head Valve in decades? Does even Briggs & Stratton still make an UHV engine?

Honda has made many pushrod engines with 10,500 RPM redlines.

RPM is mostly meaningless. The rate a shaft spins or piston reverses direction isn’t a primary indicator of what some would have you believe. The real issue is with piston speed. The faster the piston the greater the wear per inch the piston rings travel. So long stroke engines run slower but may have piston speeds comparable to supposedly “high stressed high RPM” engines.

Last edited:
   / Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #306  
Uh, å¾¹HV? Over Head Valve? Has anyone built an Under Head Valve in decades? Does even Briggs & Stratton still make an UHV engine?

Honda has made many pushrod engines with 10,500 RPM redlines.

RPM is mostly meaningless. The rate a shaft spins or piston reverses direction isn稚 a primary indicator of what some would have you believe. The real issue is with piston speed. The faster the piston the greater the wear per inch the piston rings travel. So long stroke engines run slower but may have piston speeds comparable to supposedly 塗igh stressed high RPM engines.

Common designations for over 60 years for most hotrodders

OHC or OHV It is More about Where the Camshaft(s) is/are located.

Ford has predominantly Gone after OHC engines for almost 3 decades, The Godzilla is somewhat of a departure for Ford 5.0 exempted.

I get where you are Going with this Flat heads. or AKA Valve In Block, Mmm VIB ?

edit-
Owned a couple sold my "green diamond" equipped straight 6 flathead DS 15 international Dump truck a while back.
It Got the "High output" engine, because of being a 1 1/2 truck- so equipped with the larger displacement engine which made a whopping 93 HP

Attachments

• november2009 241.jpg
    november2009 241.jpg
    659.1 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
   / Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #307  
I loved those old flat head engines. :thumbsup:

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #308  
Well I convinced myself I need a new F250 or F350 within a year and I may wait until model year 2022 is out. So the 7.3 gasser - 6.7 oil burner decision has me going back and forth. Biggest thing I know I will be towing is 13K lbs.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #309  
But how often will you be towing? If only occasionally, the gas engine is fine. If towing most of the time get the diesel - just a much more relaxed towing experience. 1000 lb-ft of torque taking you up the hill in overdrive with the engine turning less than 2000 rpm, and an exhaust brake to ease you down the other side. Not to mention the better fuel mileage. I have a gas V-10 that gets 12 mpg empty and 8 towing. I also have a Dodge/Cummins diesel that gets 18 mpg empty - and loaded with a big cabover camper and towing my Jeep on a trailer it still gets 14-15 mpg - a huge difference.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #310  
I stopped by a Ford dealer and they said F350 build time is down to about 5 months. Anyone else hear that?