Ford 917 Flail Need Main Rotor!

/ Ford 917 Flail Need Main Rotor! #11  
I hope you do not have trouble with it but with that much damage it was abused.

/ Ford 917 Flail Need Main Rotor!
I hope you do not have trouble with it but with that much damage it was abused.
I hope so also. Will update on progress.

/ Ford 917 Flail Need Main Rotor! #13  
Sorry but you DON'T know "for a fact" it was abused. There is no other damage. The main body/frame is straight and only typical surface rust.
Rear roller, all bearings etc. are all good.
The damage to the rotor occurred when they hit a pipe that was low enough for the tractor to go over but it hit the rotor and bent it. Someone tried to weld it up it years ago.
We bought it knowing the rotor was bent. For what we paid we can part it out easily if needed.
We've located another one in far worse overall condition but runs and spins smoothly. We'll swap out the main rotor and go from there.
Thanks for the input.
From the picture that you posted, it "looks" repairable by a good welder, but as you have donor machine, I don't know how cost effective it would be. It will depend on welding costs in your area. I might also ask the welder what they might charge to build a new rotor. That looks like it is just plate welded to an axle. Or buy a new rotor from someone else and have the welder fit it to yours.

Did you look at this older thread for ideas?

All the best,

Peter

From the picture that you posted, it "looks" repairable by a good welder, but as you have donor machine, I don't know how cost effective it would be. It will depend on welding costs in your area. I might also ask the welder what they might charge to build a new rotor. That looks like it is just plate welded to an axle. Or buy a new rotor from someone else and have the welder fit it to yours.

Did you look at this older thread for ideas?

All the best,

Peter
It might have been weldable but when it hit the pipe it actually bent the rotor just a little, right in the middle there.

My friend took the rotor to his "buddy" who has a big machine shop to see about making a new center tube for the rotor.
He said he could do it but it would be expensive, prohibitively I guess, then getting it balanced would be costly also if you can find a place locally to do it.

The donor one apparently spins well, no vibration and is quite. We'll see when we get up there to see it.

/ Ford 917 Flail Need Main Rotor! #15  
I'm not too surprised at the repair being more expensive. Newer rotors seem to be more akin to drive shafts with mounts added for blades, which is probably a stronger design for a given weight, but a bit fiddly to do in a one off.

Good luck!

All the best,

Peter

I'm not too surprised at the repair being more expensive. Newer rotors seem to be more akin to drive shafts with mounts added for blades, which is probably a stronger design for a given weight, but a bit fiddly to do in a one off.

Good luck!

All the best,

Peter
Yes, for sure. This rotor is three long sections which make up the round rotor and the mounting bars so it's not one solid round tube with the mounting bars added.