Ford Hydraulic System Screen

/ Ford Hydraulic System Screen #1  

sld

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1210 / Ford 1710
I recently changed the hydraulic fluid and filter in my Ford 1210 but I did not clean the pickup screen at the time.

My question is can I do it now without draining the system?

Also, where exactly is it? In the line going to the pump below the filter housing?

The 3 pt has been working fine but a little jerky at times.

thanks,

/ Ford Hydraulic System Screen #2  
I recently changed the hydraulic fluid and filter in my Ford 1210 but I did not clean the pickup screen at the time.

Also, where exactly is it? In the line going to the pump below the filter housing?

thanks,

No. You can not clean the screen without draining. The preferred method is to clean the screen during hyd oil change out. since your oil is new, I'd try to use clean 5 gal buckets to collect the oil and then I'd still used some strainer and funnel before dumping the oil back in to transmission. You'll have two drain points, one in the bottom of transmission and one in the bottom of diffy. The suction point is lower than the hyd pump in elevation. Follow the larger suction pipe from the hyd pump to where it is attached to diffy case, behind that is the screen. I have a link below that shows general design and concept that is pretty much the same with few pics.

JC,

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/new-holland-owning-operating/88973-sos-i-have-my-first.html

/ Ford Hydraulic System Screen #3  

thanks,

Presumably you changed the hydrostatic charge pressure filter, which is a spin-on type. The suction screen on a 1210 is bolted directly onto the intake port of the hydraulic pump and can be serviced without draining the tractor's hydraulic system. 4 bolts hold the rear cover on the screen housing. The cover comes off, then a spring, then the screen.

/ Ford Hydraulic System Screen #4  
Presumably you changed the hydrostatic charge pressure filter, which is a spin-on type. The suction screen on a 1210 is bolted directly onto the intake port of the hydraulic pump and can be serviced without draining the tractor's hydraulic system. 4 bolts hold the rear cover on the screen housing. The cover comes off, then a spring, then the screen.

My bad again Rick:eek::eek:, Just checked tractor data and it does only list Hydro tranny for Ford 1210.

JC,:eek:

SLD: I mixed it up with Ford 1200. My statement is only true for manual transmission as Rick correctly indicated.

/ Ford Hydraulic System Screen
Thanks for the reply guys. You are the Ford gurus.

My 1210 is a gear drive and I was under the impression that the screen was just below the housing that holds the filter. If this is the case, then I can probably clean it without draining it.

I have some work to do at my Mom's today and I will take another look at the tractor.

It seems that if the screen is on the diffy side I will have to drain. If it is on the pump / filter side, I can disconnect and clean without draining. Sound right?

This is the best picture I could find of the suction tube and pump / filter housing.

The screen is just below the filter housing?

I did replace the filter which was more like a tubular metal screen. Maybe this is the only filtering point?

I really appreciate your time in helping me.

Attachments

• tractor 6.jpg
    tractor 6.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 17,430
   / Ford Hydraulic System Screen #7  
This is the best picture I could find of the suction tube and pump / filter housing.

The screen is just below the filter housing?

I did replace the filter which was more like a tubular metal screen. Maybe this is the only filtering point?

I really appreciate your time in helping me.

It seems you have replaced the screen, which is cleanable if not damaged.

/ Ford Hydraulic System Screen #8  
Thanks for the reply guys. You are the Ford gurus.

My 1210 is a gear drive and I was under the impression that the screen was just below the housing that holds the filter. If this is the case, then I can probably clean it without draining it.

I have some work to do at my Mom's today and I will take another look at the tractor.

It seems that if the screen is on the diffy side I will have to drain. If it is on the pump / filter side, I can disconnect and clean without draining. Sound right?

Attched below you might look at the pdf file that shows your filter/screen that is inside the housing right above the pump. Have you taken the 4 bolts off from the filter housing to look? I don't know if they have a screen there or just a paper filter. They don't show screen at the diffy. From your pic it appears the filter housing might be above the hyd normal level in transmission. I'd take the dipstick out and transfer that info to see if that level is above or blow the filter. If above than I'd drain as much as needed to replace/clean filter.

JC,

Attachments

• 1210 hyd filter-screen.pdf
    364 KB · Views: 2,142
Thanks Rick and JC.

I have replaced the screen a.k.a. the filter. I did save it and since it was a metal screen in decent shape I figured it could be cleaned. Now I have a spare.

I was mistaken to think there was another filtering / screening point.

Still have that jerking motion sometimes .... but it is not that bad. Weird thing is even with no weight on the 3 pt and the arms raised it will squeal some after idling for a few minutes. As soon as I move the lever a little bit it quits.

Doesn't seem to effect it much, I just like to head off problems before they get bigger and more inconvenient to fix.

Thanks again.

/ Ford Hydraulic System Screen #10  
Thanks Rick and JC.

I have replaced the screen a.k.a. the filter. I did save it and since it was a metal screen in decent shape I figured it could be cleaned. Now I have a spare.

I was mistaken to think there was another filtering / screening point.

Still have that jerking motion sometimes .... but it is not that bad. Weird thing is even with no weight on the 3 pt and the arms raised it will squeal some after idling for a few minutes. As soon as I move the lever a little bit it quits.

Doesn't seem to effect it much, I just like to head off problems before they get bigger and more inconvenient to fix.

Thanks again.

Your lift arms has a feed back device that returns your 3 point spool to normal position. When you lift something up beyond your max lift limit it'll force the main pressure relief valve to relive which causes a chattering sound. You might want to find instruction on how to adjust on your tractor or simply set the stop(adjustable bracket) on your lift arm just a hair (1/4") below where it start to make the noise. This may be simplest way. Continued operation of 3 point lift at the relief setting can damage/ wear the seat on the relief mechanism. I bit it quit making the noise when you lower the lift rather than raising. Am I correct in my assumption?

JC,