Ford/New Holland 1720 Clutch Overhaul Questions

/ Ford/New Holland 1720 Clutch Overhaul Questions #1  

jrushlow76

Tractor
Ford/New Holland 1720
I am currently in the process of performing an overhaul on the dual clutch on my 1997 Ford/New Holland 1720. The reason for the overhaul is because the transmission clutch engagement point was just at the end of the throw of the pedal so I assumed that the clutch was worn (I did adjust it externally as much as possible).
I now have the tractor split and the clutch removed. I have not yet measured the disc to see how worn it is. My question is how many parts should I replace; I don't want to open it up for another 24 years if possible!

Do I just buy new clutch discs, or should I replace the spring for each clutch as well? I don't mind spending the extra money if it is the right thing to do. If I should replace the disc, spring, and have the pressure plates resurfaced, I feel like I might as well just buy an entire remanufactured assembly from Messick's since the price will be nearly the same. Thanks in advance for helping out a rookie!

-Joe

/ Ford/New Holland 1720 Clutch Overhaul Questions #3  
Also may add some clutch lessons. Ours is a 1980 model 1900. Farmed a 40 for years. Bush hogged stuff so bad that the tractor wouldn't ride the trees over. Still has original clutch.

/ Ford/New Holland 1720 Clutch Overhaul Questions #4  
Also may add some clutch lessons. Ours is a 1980 model 1900. Farmed a 40 for years. Bush hogged stuff so bad that the tractor wouldn't ride the trees over. Still has original clutch.
Good for you. The OP's 1720 could have double or triple the hours your 1900 has.

Last edited:
   / Ford/New Holland 1720 Clutch Overhaul Questions #5  
Good for you. The OP's 1720 could have double or triple the hours your 1900 has.
I doubt it. Pretty much a daily tractor. We are on a commercial farm. It's the smallest of five. The little tractor does the garden, mows 15 acres around the chicken houses, cleaned a lot of new ground with it. Pulled a double disc breaker many a mile. Cut hay and such with the others. Also log, haul dirt, etc...

/ Ford/New Holland 1720 Clutch Overhaul Questions #6  
I doubt it. Pretty much a daily tractor. We are on a commercial farm. It's the smallest of five. The little tractor does the garden, mows 15 acres around the chicken houses, cleaned a lot of new ground with it. Pulled a double disc breaker many a mile. Cut hay and such with the others. Also log, haul dirt, etc...
So is there a point to all of this? The 1720 is 24 years old for Pete's sake. It needs a clutch, big deal.

/ Ford/New Holland 1720 Clutch Overhaul Questions #7  
So is there a point to all of this? The 1720 is 24 years old for Pete's sake. It needs a clutch, big deal.
Bought the 1900 in 1980. Neighbor had a JD 1968 model. Had 1000 cattle. He cut all the hay. Didn't have a trailer. Went two miles and got two bales at a time to féed those cows. No four wheeler. Just tractor for it all. Never had a clutch swap. I did take it down last year because the throw out bearing swarmed, but no clutch discs were replaced.

/ Ford/New Holland 1720 Clutch Overhaul Questions #8  
Bought the 1900 in 1980. Neighbor had a JD 1968 model. Had 1000 cattle. He cut all the hay. Didn't have a trailer. Went two miles and got two bales at a time to féed those cows. No four wheeler. Just tractor for it all. Never had a clutch swap. I did take it down last year because the throw out bearing swarmed, but no clutch discs were replaced.
indeed. It is very important how the operator engages the clutch. Ford 1700 has a rubber inspection handhole on the side of clutch housing that one can remove for inspection. Due to shape of the pressure plate you can see the thickness of the clutch disk. My 40 yr old Ford 1700 has the original clutch with at least 90% of original thickness left. I am sure your neighbor did not do loader work and constant clutching and going back and forth, and when he did, he clutched it right. When I mow my field, I clutch just about one time and go around and around for hrs which obviously can't harm the clutch disk.

/ Ford/New Holland 1720 Clutch Overhaul Questions #9  
IMO, best $35 tool for 20-series Ford/NH CUTs if you don't nave it already. Pretty much all you'd need is in there.

Attachments

• IMG_1343.JPG
    IMG_1343.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 300

/ Ford/New Holland 1720 Clutch Overhaul Questions #10  
..............snip................

Do I just buy new clutch discs, or should I replace the spring for each clutch as well? I don't mind spending the extra money if it is the right thing to do. If I should replace the disc, spring, and have the pressure plates resurfaced, I feel like I might as well just buy an entire remanufactured assembly from Messick's since the price will be nearly the same. Thanks in advance for helping out a rookie!

-Joe

Looking at the Ford 1310, 1510 & 1710 shop manual in detail, I would buy re-manufactured double clutch assembly if the prices are even close to similar.

My year 1986 1310 has just over 1000 hours and original clutch - so far so good.

Yes I know it's only about 28 hours per year, wow - since 97 most of it probably running a PTO chipper.