Ford-New-Holland TL70 Hydraulics Remotes Operating

/ Ford-New-Holland TL70 Hydraulics Remotes Operating #1  

Fred185

Tractor
Ford/New-Holland TL70
I had this 2000 tractor for 15 years. I use it mainly with a brush hog. Had 1000 hours on it, with a front end loader, but was used hard and needed to sand and repaint hood. It also had engine problems. After sending injector pump out to rebuild, was told pump is good but system is full of algae. now tractor runs good for five years now. It has a factory cab and interior good. I bought a ten foot snow plow, but trouble with cylinders. They move ever so slow. I am not sure what to do because they are double acting cylinders. I read instructions about turning screws, in or out. I am not sure I found them, but are rusty and will not move. Instructions sound so simple they barly metion it. The three point hitch is powerful and so is the loader. I must not know what I am doing. I am attaching some picks. I read the specifications and said you could have one of four different hydraulic pumps. How do I know what I got ? It also has a skid steer quick connect bucket. The plow has two small cylinders. The line is 1/4 inch. I have to hold the remote leave about one minute for any movement. A full stroke is over three minutes. They must be set for single acting, or something else is wrong. I have the loader valve set to max on the valve adjustment. I don't know if that is on the same pump as the remotes ? On of the remote cable adjusters is frozen and was broke. Not sure what position its in. But I am connected to the one that is adjustable. It is as shown in the pic. I turned the other way no different. Thank you for looking. Fred

Attachments

• IMG_4867.jpg
    IMG_4867.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4866.jpg
    IMG_4866.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4872.jpg
    IMG_4872.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4875.jpg
    IMG_4875.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4873.jpg
    IMG_4873.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4868.jpg
    IMG_4868.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4874.jpg
    IMG_4874.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
   / Ford-New-Holland TL70 Hydraulics Remotes Operating #2  
I don't deal in snow plows so I wouldn't know where to start, other than this one possibility. You say it has small cylinders and small hoses. I'm thinking it may be designed to operate slowly. Possibly has restrictor orifices or fittings designed to reduce oil flow to a minimum just for that purpose. I would strip the hoses and fittings from some of those cylinders and examine all of them looking for that.

/ Ford-New-Holland TL70 Hydraulics Remotes Operating
I don't deal in snow plows so I wouldn't know where to start, other than this one possibility. You say it has small cylinders and small hoses. I'm thinking it may be designed to operate slowly. Possibly has restrictor orifices or fittings designed to reduce oil flow to a minimum just for that purpose. I would strip the hoses and fittings from some of those cylinders and examine all of them looking for that.
Thank you,
However , snow plows are designed to move quickly. I have a snow plow on my truck. You need to angle it left to right or straight on the fly to direct the snow.
What I need is a explanition of how to change between a single acting cylinder to a double acting cylinder. I would also like to know what pump my tractor has. In terms of gallons per minute of flow. The valve itself, is in a difficult spot. I don't know where the pump is. They have so many versions of this tractor, the parts diagrams are endless. That is why I posted the name plate. Maybe someone here knows how to read it .
Thanks again.

/ Ford-New-Holland TL70 Hydraulics Remotes Operating #4  
I guess I misread your earlier post. I was thinking this was a TN 70, my mistake. On the TN tractors the remote valves are on the back stacked up just above the top link bracket, easy to get to. Most of the valves I see on those tractors have a stem on the back side with a 10mm hex head. That is screwed in till it bottoms for double acting cylinders, screwed out til it bottoms for single acting. You might look for something like that on your valves.

/ Ford-New-Holland TL70 Hydraulics Remotes Operating #5  
Now that I think about it more, I recall that TL 80 and TL 90 tractors had some problems because the valves were NOT convertible to single acting. I suspect yours would be the same. They most likely will be strictly double acting.

As for the pump size, I don't recall that issue ever coming up.

The owners manual reads they are adjustable. It has a very poor illustration showing the location, that I can not make out. Than to top it off it mentions a screw adjustment for a detent setting "end of travel". It is metioned so briefly, like everyone should be familiar with it. Every since I owned the tractor, it's been keep indoors. But it was outside for many years prior. I found the adjuster screws (for end of travel) on the remote valve, but they will not turn in or out. I used liquid wrench no dice. They have a nut around them, maybe a lock nut. I have a plow for my truck, but would be nice to get the one on the tractor to work. Thank you.

/ Ford-New-Holland TL70 Hydraulics Remotes Operating #7  
Thank you,
However , snow plows are designed to move quickly. I have a snow plow on my truck. You need to angle it left to right or straight on the fly to direct the snow.
What I need is a explanition of how to change between a single acting cylinder to a double acting cylinder. I would also like to know what pump my tractor has. In terms of gallons per minute of flow. The valve itself, is in a difficult spot. I don't know where the pump is. They have so many versions of this tractor, the parts diagrams are endless. That is why I posted the name plate. Maybe someone here knows how to read it .
Thanks again.

Regarding the pump, there is a steering pump and main pump The pumps are located on the RH side of the engine at the front of the engine. The main pump is the on the rear of the timing gear train cover and the steering pum is on the front.

There are two different pumps for the main hydraulics, the standard or the oversized pump.
I'll look for output on both tomorrow.

In the parts book, the pumps are under the 1.82.3 section.

Last edited:
Thank you, I"ll take a look and see if I can find a pump and nameplate. I did see the steering pump. So the main pump is visable ? Does that lift the 3-point hitch ? I thought I read it was submerged in the rear housing. A lot I don't understand about the working of a tractor.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

/ Ford-New-Holland TL70 Hydraulics Remotes Operating #9  
The pumps are mounted forward and backward on the engine timing geartrain. If you found the steering pump (which I identified as on the front side of the gear cover, but rather it is on the back) then look at the opposite side of the engine geartrain housing and you will see the main pump. Both pumps have hydraulic filters hanging off of them. It runs the 3pt and the hydraulic remotes. There is no pump mounted in the rear housing on the TL series. I will investigate the instructions, shown here, in the owners manual for making it single acting to double acting. You are right, the manual is not clear.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well!

Attachments

• Single acting valve procedure.jpg
    Single acting valve procedure.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 34
I took several more pictures of the back of the valves. Maybe the nut around the screw turns. However in the book it says the screw is for "end of travel". They are in a bad spot. I tried a 3-foot long flat screw driver nothing moved. I could get a socket on the nut, but have no idea what I am doing.
Thank you Tractor Tech

Attachments

• IMG_4925.jpg
    IMG_4925.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4918.jpg
    IMG_4918.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29