Ford / NH 545D Industrial Tractor - looking for owner experiences

/ Ford / NH 545D Industrial Tractor - looking for owner experiences
Dang, a lotta steps LOL.

Do these machines have loader float? On my Massey and my track loader, i just throw the loader joystick all the way forward to float the loader

/ Ford / NH 545D Industrial Tractor - looking for owner experiences #62  
like said above, the button on the loader lever is the trans dump switch,
the button on the end of the forward/reverse lever is the torque converter lockup button-

from my owners manual -

/ Ford / NH 545D Industrial Tractor - looking for owner experiences #63  
Yes they float.

Not sure about the model you are looking at, but, some models also have a left foot "button" on the floor just rearward of the brake pedals that performs the same converter dump. You can push it with your heel while running the brakes with the ball of your foot. My A model had that button originally but it didn't work when I bought it. I eliminated it and just use the hand button on the joystick.

I think the intent is to keep from heating up the torque converter/trans fluid. Without it would be similar to "power braking" your auto trans truck. Do that very long and you'll have trans failure.

Okay I'm glad that you guys all responded. When I originally asked the question about the button, I was referring to the torque converter lock button on the power reversing joystick. I did not realize there was another button on the loader joystick. So if I'm reading the responses correctly, the button on the loader joystick basically puts the transmission in neutral, so that I can rev up the machine without moving directionally, therefore giving more hydraulic power to the loader, and stopping the machines movements without having to switch the directional shifter into neutral or applying the brakes, correct?

And also, by pressing the torque converter lock button on the power reverser joystick, while moving forward, basically it's like a cruise control locking the transmission rotation with the engine output, correct? Is this a feature that MUST be used? Or is it an accessory there as a convenience?

Do any of you know how the loader float is controlled? Is it similar to my current machines where there is a notch when you throw the loader joystick all the way forward?

And I just want to say thank you (collectively) again for all of your help answering my questions. It's not often that I have to ask questions like a complete rookie, but when I do, I'm glad there is help available on the Forum.

Last edited:
   / Ford / NH 545D Industrial Tractor - looking for owner experiences #66  
Sounds like you've got the torque converter functions figured out.

Also you are correct in regards to the FEL float function.

Been following and anxious to see your purchase.

Fellas --- I'm wondering if the "Torque Converter" transmission is the best option for me. I'm trying to get a better understanding of it. I know how Torque Converters work in cars, but is it the same principle with Industrial tractors like this one? For pulling a box blade, snow plow, minor tillage equipment (just discs for small plots, not acreage) is the transmission in the 545D a good choice? I'm planning to use this machine for loader work and grading first, then snow maintenance in the winter, and minor disc work when needed. Also some occasional PTO work (pulling a flail once in a while for 2-3 acres of grass/field maintenance) and stationary PTO work (running my stump grinder). -- OR -- would I be better off with a more traditional Utility tractor with a power-shuttle for the work I am describing? Please excuse my ignorance on this topic... I am unfamiliar with the operation of this trans and my lack of knowledge makes me a bit anxious.

/ Ford / NH 545D Industrial Tractor - looking for owner experiences #68  
They operate similarly to your auto truck trans. Difference is you select what gear it's in. At an idle you can stop the machine with the brakes without shifting the shuttle to neutral. You can change direction just like in your truck.

They've been around a long time in construction equipment. Very durable.

I don't think they would work well for tasks that require a constant speed. I think that's why they added the "lock" button on the shuttle lever in the later years. This transforms the trans to a manual in regards to movement. It's going to move at whatever rpm speed you choose with no variation. I'm assuming they added that feature to make the system more useable at tasks you described. You'll love it when using the FEL moving material.

/ Ford / NH 545D Industrial Tractor - looking for owner experiences #69  
I'd say the tractor will work very well for everything you described. Naturally, if you were going to do a lot of tillage or haying, an ag tractor would be much better. These are incredibly versatile machines. A 545 pull a disc for small plots with ease (overkill really).

The #1 thing that I see people doing wrong with these transmissions is running in too high of a gear. Just because it will move doesn't mean you're in the right gear. Only experience will tell you the correct gear for a given task, but use common sense and START OUT LOWER on the gearing. If you find yourself racing the engine with little load to do what you want to do, THEN select a higher gear.

/ Ford / NH 545D Industrial Tractor - looking for owner experiences #70  
The #1 thing that I see people doing wrong with these transmissions is running in too high of a gear. Just because it will move doesn't mean you're in the right gear. Only experience will tell you the correct gear for a given task, but use common sense and START OUT LOWER on the gearing. If you find yourself racing the engine with little load to do what you want to do, THEN select a higher gear.

I totally agree. No different than trying to do work with your 4x4 truck with the T-case in high side and slipping the tranny.