Ford Ranger is Officially Back

/ Ford Ranger is Officially Back #63  
Ford killed the Ranger for the same reason Dodge killed the Dakota. Not enough buyers for a smaller truck that didn't look much different from the full size truck and cost almost as much. GM figured out you can market a different looking small truck (Colorado) to people who don't really need a truck (and pick up some sales from people who do need a truck).

I think Ford gets it now because the new Ranger retains a "Ford look" but isn't too similar to the F-150. I think there is a good future for the Ranger. I'm very happy with my F150 but if I didn't have a 12 foot wide door in my pole barn I would think twice. It's surprisingly tight to park it in my garage with 9 foot wide doors and weatherstrips.

I drive a 2003 Mazda B3000, a Ranger with Mazda decals. It's an honest little half ton. I have filled the bed full of bricks and it handled very well. I once had a 1989 Dakota, and it was a pile of junk, the worst vehicle I have ever owned. It bottomed out on the frame with 800 lbs in the bed, and handled like a drunken cow. Continual repairs cost me a fortune. I would never own another one.

/ Ford Ranger is Officially Back #64  
My dad, has an old ranger splash, and has been waiting forever to get a new ranger, but he thinks they will make it with a regular cab, unfortunately I think it will only be extended, or crew. Colorado is only extended and crew. Anyone have any knowledge?

He also is expecting a non turbo 3+ liter 6cyl.... and hoping for a manual trans...

This is the first time I did not read the entire thread before posting so please forgive me if it was already discussed.
At this time the only powertrain announced is a 2.3L turbo 4 cyl. mated to a 10 speed automatic. The only cab configurations are extended or crew, only 1 wheelbase. There will be a Ranger Raptor later, it may have the 2.7L ecoboost V6.

/ Ford Ranger is Officially Back #66  
I drive a 2003 Mazda B3000, a Ranger with Mazda decals. It's an honest little half ton. I have filled the bed full of bricks and it handled very well. I once had a 1989 Dakota, and it was a pile of junk, the worst vehicle I have ever owned. It bottomed out on the frame with 800 lbs in the bed, and handled like a drunken cow. Continual repairs cost me a fortune. I would never own another one.

Everyone has unique experiences. I had a 1988 Ranger. Nice truck but with the V6, 5 spd and 4WD, it wouldn't get out of it's own way. My 2004 Dakota would haul 1500+ lbs with no problem and tow my 7K trailer OK. I gave it to my son when I got my F150 and the Dakota is still going strong.

/ Ford Ranger is Officially Back #67  
The new Tacomas are made more like American cars.

Check out the Australian Toyota workmate 70. Why can't we buy real trucks like that?

My first guess would be guberment.

I doubt we can just blame the government on this one. Yeah, they probably have something to do with why we couldn't buy a truck like that with a sweet little 4cyl diesel, but Toyota could sell the thing here with whatever they put in the Tacoma if they thought people would buy it.

Ford and Chevy both make sweet little trucks that we can't buy here also, and the reason is just that not enough people want them. I hear a lot of guys in this thread saying they want a bare bones truck, and I get that, but the average buyer wants a comfort cruiser with all the fancy features. They want a high HP, high profile, luxurious grocery getter.

You can blame the government, but I think it's more like the culture that's at fault. That and the auto companies that really encourage that behavior..

/ Ford Ranger is Officially Back #68  
I hear a lot of guys in this thread saying they want a bare bones truck, and I get that, but the average buyer wants a comfort cruiser with all the fancy features. They want a high HP, high profile, luxurious grocery getter.

Yesterday at the vets office during a snowstorm. It was only about 5", but 5" in NC is kind of like 40" up north:laughing: (on that note, the inflatable e-collar didn't work to well this time).

T.png

Usually when I'm out back with the truck doing something, I'm sweating my gonads off and am covered in dirt, grass or sweat. Not very conducive to a luxury interior IMO.

/ Ford Ranger is Officially Back #69  
Want to see what the interior space on the new Ranger is. In 2004 found they had shorten the Ranger cabs (relative to my 1997) so my head was pressed on the ceiling. Appears that all the smaller trucks have done this shortening to drive us taller guys to the larger trucks. Currently have 1997 Ranger and 2016 F150. Trucks have changed a bunch in the 19 years between buying these.

/ Ford Ranger is Officially Back #70  
I had a Ranger with the 6 cyl, gas guzzler but I liked it to drive.
The automatic frt axles both gave up the ghost and that was costly.
I then discovered that the Ranger was actually a re badgered Mazda but the only problem was that nobody could cross reference any parts. Mazda parts were much more affordable than from Ford but the gamble was mine to take.

The current question is if the new Ranger is pure Ford or is it re badgered Mazda.